Members banned from this thread: jet57

User Tag List

View Poll Results: 24-hr Vaca for members that insert politics insults or snark in obv non-pol threads

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - good idea.

5 41.67%
  • No - bad idea.

6 50.00%
  • I have a better idea, see comments, or I'll send a PM

1 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proposal: 24-hr timeout for members that insert politics in Non Pol Threads

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    How many people are entering through the section label?

I generally enter through "new posts" and others seem to use the "political form threads" listing on the right side of the page. So a response may be based more on latest response than the title of the forum. I would bet that less people look at the location of the forum than the title and last response unless they like to take part in only specific portions of the forum.
    Obviously the correct response to a Ziploc bag post should not be "Trump did it" but those in Local News could easily stray into politics, if it appears to be used to promote gun control...

That's been an issue ever since we created On the Lighter Side and On the Serious Side. How to get people to notice where in the forum structure they're posting. There's no solution when most just don't pay attention.

Maybe getting zinged once or twice will make people pay attention to where they are.

And then as Cletus says it could discourage posting.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    We see that on tpf threads all the time, of course - a member banned not for any valid reason at all, but just for disagreeing with the OP or the narrative they've created. Non-tpf threads, not so much.

Cletus' point about the potential time lapse between posting and punishment is a good one, I think - especially if the post in question didn't actually derail the thread and the other participants simply chose, wisely, to ignore it and move on.

I do understand that absolutely everything has a political aspect - usually a very partisan one - to some people, and that it apparently just isn't enough for them to engage in all the clearly political discussions going on...they feel they need to inject their feelings into conversations about anything else in the world. Maybe a better answer would be for more folks to agree to completely ignore those one-off attempts at trolling (as they frequently are) and not respond to them in any way.

In as much as these trolls are simply looking for attention this is a most excellent idea. Perhaps we could also have a "no trolling" designation like we do for the tpf labeled threads.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,494
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,541x in 17,981 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree to ignore is better than what could evolve into arbitrary rule violations based on who complains the most.

Lets also include people who try and derail political threads with what is clear to most as unrelated to the OP. I have seen this happen a lot more frequently that this problem.

And yes I am guilty of injecting political comments into non-political threads on occasion. As with others they may be hot topics under "What's New" and I was not paying attention to any particular forum.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (08-03-2021),MMC (07-31-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,494
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,541x in 17,981 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We see that on tpf threads all the time, of course - a member banned not for any valid reason at all, but just for disagreeing with the OP or the narrative they've created. Non-tpf threads, not so much.

Cletus' point about the potential time lapse between posting and punishment is a good one, I think - especially if the post in question didn't actually derail the thread and the other participants simply chose, wisely, to ignore it and move on.

I do understand that absolutely everything has a political aspect - usually a very partisan one - to some people, and that it apparently just isn't enough for them to engage in all the clearly political discussions going on...they feel they need to inject their feelings into conversations about anything else in the world. Maybe a better answer would be for more folks to agree to completely ignore those one-off attempts at trolling (as they frequently are) and not respond to them in any way.
    While I agree in general I do not agree that everything has a political aspect.

If I recall correctly there are times when I injected a sarcastic political comment into a non-political thread just to point that out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (08-21-2021)

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 771
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,643x in 1,279 Posts
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I have to disagree with this one.

I see a lot of potential problems with this... interpretation of what constitutes "snark" or an intention to derail the thread is a big one, but mostly, we should be encouraging participation instead of requiring people to $#@!foot around a thread lest their comments get them banned for 24 hours because they said something spurred by emotion rather than reason.

My personal feeling on it is if we can't keep a thread on track and it veers off into something else, it is probably because it wasn't holding the interest of people in the first place and it took a turn toward something more interesting. Another thing is there is not always a Moderator presence on the board, so, and we have seen this happen many times, a comment is brought to the attention of a Moderator an hour, 6 hours, a day after it was made. The thread has moved way past the point the offending comment was made, most people don't even remember it and all of a sudden a member is sanctioned for making it. That is just plain counterproductive.

I just think this proposal would not be helpful and would in fact have the opposite effect and only serve to stifle honest, free flowing discussion. I know it is sometimes annoying when threads get derailed, but if people really want that particular discussion to keep going, they can (and do) just post around the off topic stuff and drive on.
    Agreed! Its just another attempt to keep unpopular people off the forum.....like me!
    That applies to all folks with liberal persuasions.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,377x in 15,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
    Agreed! Its just another attempt to keep unpopular people off the forum.....like me!
    That applies to all folks with liberal persuasions.
    You just keep that victim card up your sleeve so you can play it whenever you think it will be useful, eh?

I think your post was the kind of thing this suggestion was intended to prevent.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (07-31-2021),RMNIXON (08-01-2021)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great idea about ignoring them, but trolls feed on that too: it's permission to keep going. Both you and cletus have good ideas on this. I say, report a troll post, and we all know what a troll post is, let the mods threadban the poster, and just make THAT the new practice: it'll send a clear message if it's consistent. Simple, a part of rules anyway. Don't over think it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

Thom Paine (08-03-2021)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    While I agree in general I do not agree that everything has a political aspect. ...
    Neither do I...that's why I wrote "to some people".
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    That's a great idea about ignoring them, but trolls feed on that too: it's permission to keep going. Both you and cletus have good ideas on this. I say, report a troll post, and we all know what a troll post is, let the mods threadban the poster, and just make THAT the new practice: it'll send a clear message if it's consistent. Simple, a part of rules anyway. Don't over think it.
    What to do when the OP (and consequently the thread itself) is an example of trolling?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What to do when the OP (and consequently the thread itself) is an example of trolling?
    Close it. Everybody knows what we're talking about with respect to what you've listed here and what we know about our common trolls, and in my mind, the best thing to do is put pressure on their trollish posts. If they want to come around, great, if they want to keep trolling, they'll be TB'd and infracted for their efforts and marginalized.

+ Reply to Thread