Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,802x in 1,633 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Republicans Vanishing

I was listening to this liberal Democrat guy on the radio earlier, and he made some sort of statement about how they were waiting for the Republicans to go the way of the Whigs. He said that the Republicans were likely to be a big factor in the next three or four election cycles, before "the demographics shake out". I'm assuming by that he is talking about the "browning of America" and older, more conservative Americans dying off. At which point I take it he is expecting the Democrats will be the only party left.

He also said something about how Republicans are currently stuck with Trump (whom he described as a crook), because the cost of ticking him off is bigger than keeping him.

This reminds me of Biden's statement earlier in the year when he said something like "I don't even know if there will be a Republican party in 2024, do you?". So what do you think, are Republicans doomed to irrelevance, no matter what they do? If they are going to stay around, they're going to have to find a way to appeal to younger people more than they are now. Younger people tend toward liberalism by nature, and our current crop is severely indoctrinated. Seems like the best hope for Republicans is some sort of backlash. But the older people are probably the only ones who actually remember the Real America.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

donttread (07-31-2021),pjohns (07-31-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (08-02-2021),RMNIXON (07-31-2021)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 524
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Social3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 11,206x in 6,259 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can explain that one easy enough. Decades ago in the Clinton Years I also heard how we are all going to Die Out.............

Little did they know how many Working (and Tax Paying) Americans would join the Conservative cause while lefties became the Party of the Super Rich Elite and the handout crowd!

Don't misunderstand of course as these fools can still Win, but the prize will be decades of shared misery to be sure.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

pjohns (07-31-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (08-02-2021),stjames1_53 (08-01-2021)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Omar's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,802x in 1,633 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    I can explain that one easy enough. Decades ago in the Clinton Years I also heard how we are all going to Die Out...
    I remember that as well. I even remember people saying the Democratic party wasn't going to be around much longer either, I think that was during the Reagan years. It's a lot like every time someone wins a sports championship, they expect that same team is going to be winning for years, or they call the latest athlete the GOAT. It's flavor of the day to some extent. There's little question that the country has been drifting further to the left though. If the right is complacent, they will be wiped out. It just amazes me how confident some of these lefties are that their own point of view is the only legitimate one, and that any opposition is simply going to vanish as everybody realizes it.

As for Trump being a crook, what has he been convicted of? I don't see how he is any more corrupt than any other number of people we've had in the White House the last several decades. Look at Hunter Biden and his paintings. Tell me that doesn't smell.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

pjohns (07-31-2021),stjames1_53 (08-01-2021)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,740
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,825x in 11,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    I was listening to this liberal Democrat guy on the radio earlier, and he made some sort of statement about how they were waiting for the Republicans to go the way of the Whigs. He said that the Republicans were likely to be a big factor in the next three or four election cycles, before "the demographics shake out". I'm assuming by that he is talking about the "browning of America" and older, more conservative Americans dying off. At which point I take it he is expecting the Democrats will be the only party left.

He also said something about how Republicans are currently stuck with Trump (whom he described as a crook), because the cost of ticking him off is bigger than keeping him.

This reminds me of Biden's statement earlier in the year when he said something like "I don't even know if there will be a Republican party in 2024, do you?". So what do you think, are Republicans doomed to irrelevance, no matter what they do? If they are going to stay around, they're going to have to find a way to appeal to younger people more than they are now. Younger people tend toward liberalism by nature, and our current crop is severely indoctrinated. Seems like the best hope for Republicans is some sort of backlash. But the older people are probably the only ones who actually remember the Real America.
    I have no issue with MS repubs going away they are part of the problem. But we are conditioned to a tribal my guy vs your gal mentality. Plus where would either major party be without an opposite to blame everything on. ?Notice dems currently in control of the whole shebang and STILL blaming the repubs? Hell Trump has been out of office for 6 months and they still talk more about his "failures" than Biden's "successes". to be fair when repubs are fully in charge they act very similarly.
    So what will rise up to play the devil to the dems Godlyness? Whatever we call it hopefully it represents the middle class for a change at least.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (08-02-2021),stjames1_53 (08-01-2021),Tahuyaman (07-31-2021)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Jeb!'s Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,827x in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have actually said this for 100 years. Then a demographic group stops becoming part of the Democrats' spoils system and leaves.
    I am the President-Elect of the United States.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeb! For This Useful Post:

donttread (07-31-2021),stjames1_53 (08-01-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 58,538x in 42,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    523 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no issue with “Republicans” going away. After all I’m a conservative.
    Benjamin Franklin: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

donttread (07-31-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (08-02-2021)

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,644
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,539x in 10,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully the Republican Party can be saved by rational conservatives. If they hitch their wagon to Trumpism, the party has a dismal future.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,792x in 1,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Hopefully the Republican Party can be saved by rational conservatives. If they hitch their wagon to Trumpism, the party has a dismal future.
    I am a bit conflicted here.

In some ways, Trump is a genuine conservative: His SCOTUS picks; his building of the wall along our southern border; his demand for out NATO allies to pay more; his pulling out of the JCPOA (also known as "the Iran Nuclear Deal); etc.

But he was really not a conservative in the same sense that the writers at National Review are conservatives. Or even in the sense that the Heritage Foundation, the Hoover Institute, or other conservative think tanks fit that definition.

Basically, he is a populist--with some conservative undertones (or perhaps even overtones).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (08-01-2021)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 524
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Social3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 11,206x in 6,259 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also share that not long after Obama won in 2008 I was told by a Moonbat in another Forum that Democrats would enjoy 35 years of Party Rule.............

So there you have it!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

pjohns (08-01-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (08-02-2021)

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,586
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,220x in 1,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're looking at this through a microscope. If you'll take wider view I think you'll find that Republicans are suffering a great deal because OF Trump and the radical right slipped into government in January of 1981. The cranks and the radicals have slowly been getting louder and louder and through their talk radio political assistance they have blasted a cacophony of mistrust for our country, our government, our free press, our national medical information program and the far right have done nothing BUT support every conspiracy theory there is concerning the governance of our society. So yes, good Republicans are leaving the party, the focus and leadership of the party is getting smaller and smaller and that's what Biden was referring to with respect to 2024... The whole world is watching this and the Republicans just looking worse and worse as it goes on.
    Make everything from toy guns that spark, to flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark. Itís easy to see without looking too far, that not much is really sacred.
    Thomas Jefferson (to Richard Price) January 8. 1789 "...wherever the people are well informed they can be trusted with their own government..."

+ Reply to Thread