User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overwork is literally making us sick...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 45,849x in 24,772 Posts
    Mentioned
    880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Overwork is literally making us sick...

Overwork is literally making us sick...

ezgif-1-b68359bf3b38.jpg

The statistics on overwork are grim: A global study from the World Health Organization (WHO) found that in 2016, 488 million people were exposed to long working hours, with more than 745,000 people dying that year from stroke and heart disease as a result of overworking. According to a 2019 report published by People’s Policy Project in collaboration with The Gravel Institute, in one year, the average American works more hours than the average worker in any peer nation. According to the WHO study, overwork is the single largest risk factor for occupational disease and has significant impacts on physical and mental health.

The researchers on the WHO study define overwork as 55 hours or more per week. But individuals who are juggling multiple jobs, caregiving, parenting, or working and going to school at the same time are grappling with compounding stress. And the link between this kind of productivity and meeting basic needs makes overwork feel like a necessity, not a personal choice. For chronically ill or disabled young people there’s pressure to be “extra” productive to compensate for times when they can’t be. For those supporting families or loved ones, the idea of not overworking can be especially intimidating. But the idea that overwork should be a given — a sign of commitment to your employer — is something younger workers are pushing back on whenever they can.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/over...tm_source=digg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a 20 hour work week.

I own my own business. When I started it to get it off the ground I worked seven days a week twelve hours or more per day. I took Thanksgiving and Christmas day off. I was stressed out more than once by the specter of losing major accounts, of misfiling my taxes and dealing with the IRS and as I grew having to deal with "HR' issues.

I loved it because I was accomplishing something most others, many claiming to be superior to me, wouldn't even try.

I do not think long hours and hard work are the problem, its the softening of the Protestant work ethic

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (08-06-2021),pjohns (08-06-2021),RMNIXON (08-06-2021),Thom Paine (08-06-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 45,849x in 24,772 Posts
    Mentioned
    880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    We need a 20 hour work week. I own my own business. When I started it to get it off the ground I worked seven days a week twelve hours or more per day. I took Thanksgiving and Christmas day off. I was stressed out more than once by the specter of losing major accounts, of misfiling my taxes and dealing with the IRS and as I grew having to deal with "HR' issues. I loved it because I was accomplishing something most others, many claiming to be superior to me, wouldn't even try. I do not think long hours and hard work are the problem, its the softening of the Protestant work ethic
    Agree. I still work 70+ hours a week. I want to retire but I can't find someone to take over my clients.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,175
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,307x in 13,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Agree. I still work 70+ hours a week. I want to retire but I can't find someone to take over my clients.
    I'll do it. I'm not an attorney but I have laid tile in a few Holiday Inn Expresses.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

6. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Thom Paine (08-06-2021)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    You know, you aren't the first person to express that sentiment. You are not just working for the money (which is really the reason we all start) but you are working to help the customer achieve his goals. When I first started it was on a part time basis since I was working 40 plus hours a week for a trucking company. I wanted to drop it several times but always thought, what about those who are trusting me to save money for them. Do I tell them I don't care about your wants or desires? So, I kept at it until I was able to make my company my full time endeavor. I remember a former boss told me when I said I was going into business he told me "You won't last six months". He was right, I have lasted 40 years and counting. There were times that first year I ate the putty out of the windows to stay alive but I had to keep going. Then when I had to start hiring staff there were many times most of the staff made more money than I did.

Even when I was working for someone else I also was driven to do better (which meant offering the company more) and as a result I have always been successful at what ever I undertook to do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

pjohns (08-06-2021)

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thom Paine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,093x in 667 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, you aren't the first person to express that sentiment. You are not just working for the money (which is really the reason we all start) but you are working to help the customer achieve his goals. When I first started it was on a part time basis since I was working 40 plus hours a week for a trucking company. I wanted to drop it several times but always thought, what about those who are trusting me to save money for them. Do I tell them I don't care about your wants or desires? So, I kept at it until I was able to make my company my full time endeavor. I remember a former boss told me when I said I was going into business he told me "You won't last six months". He was right, I have lasted 40 years and counting. There were times that first year I ate the putty out of the windows to stay alive but I had to keep going. Then when I had to start hiring staff there were many times most of the staff made more money than I did.

Even when I was working for someone else I also was driven to do better (which meant offering the company more) and as a result I have always been successful at what ever I undertook to do.
    I strongly identify with and experienced the same things.
    SO, an old Toast:

To us and those like us;
    there's damned few of us left.

(I fear there are too few to take our place)

happy day to ya' Nate
    "I've outlived the country I loved" Monte Walsh 1970

"Remember: On the other side of that screen is a real person" (Missouri Mule)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Thom Paine For This Useful Post:

pjohns (08-06-2021)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,257x in 17,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a 20 hour work week.

I own my own business. When I started it to get it off the ground I worked seven days a week twelve hours or more per day. I took Thanksgiving and Christmas day off. I was stressed out more than once by the specter of losing major accounts, of misfiling my taxes and dealing with the IRS and as I grew having to deal with "HR' issues.

I loved it because I was accomplishing something most others, many claiming to be superior to me, wouldn't even try.

I do not think long hours and hard work are the problem, its the softening of the Protestant work ethic

I think some folks have been stretched to the limits, especially working two jobs instead of one good job in the COVID economy. Notice who bragged about Biden's alleged unemployment rate in the Forum today.

But God Forbid we become the French or the Greeks and can't pay off insane early retirement schemes and handouts until we collapse.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

pjohns (08-06-2021)

+ Reply to Thread