User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hiking 08/18/2021

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hiking 08/18/2021

For my second hike, I started at the Ingram Transit Center Trailhead and walked down to the Culebra bridge where I'd stopped on my Hiking 08.15.2021.

After last hike's aches, I was better prepared. I woke earlier and got to the trail when it opened at sunrise, around 7 am. I wore good hiking shoes, new Merino wool socks, and a moisture-wicking teeshirt. It paid off, I was cooler and my feet had good support. More relaxed, I got to look around more and catch some flora and fauna.

At the trailhead, I was immediately met by a fawn and doe, the male more boldly holding the path to the right.

Saw more along the way.

The trail begins with a bridge over Culebra Creek.

Here's the view down the creek where I was headed.

I found a side trail and decided next time I hike here I'll try it.

Deception Trail, hmmm.

I did try hiking an old road parallel to the trail. It was good to get off the concrete and walk in the dirt. It was still wet in the morning though, and I found myself watching where my feet were going instead of my surroundings. So I crossed back over to the concrete trail.

I came across this Texas Coral Snake crossing the path. It was maybe two feet long. They're poisonous.

Because I would stop to look and maybe take pictures, one other hiker passed me in silence. I saw a few others. And best of all only one fat-tire bike ridden nice and slow.

The trail is mostly trees, Oaks, Mesquite, and grasses, but I did find some Mexican Hat and am not sure what the purple one is.

I thought this was funny. 15 MPH. I had no way to check my speed.

Soon after that was the Culebra Road bridge, where I'd stopped Sunday.

So I stopped a bit, drank some water, and headed back the 1.2 miles to the trailhead. I could feel how out of shape I am toward the end but felt good about getting out there.

One concern is allergies. I've got them bad. But, surprisingly, my allergic reaction is about the same as staying home, where the A/C pumps allergins in all day.

Next trip I'll start at the same trailhead and hike north.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (08-18-2021),FindersKeepers (08-18-2021),Red Lily (08-20-2021),RMNIXON (08-18-2021)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    For my second hike, I started at the Ingram Transit Center Trailhead and walked down to the Culebra bridge where I'd stopped on my Hiking 08.15.2021.

After last hike's aches, I was better prepared. I woke earlier and got to the trail when it opened at sunrise, around 7 am. I wore good hiking shoes, new Merino wool socks, and a moisture-wicking teeshirt. It paid off, I was cooler and my feet had good support. More relaxed, I got to look around more and catch some flora and fauna.

At the trailhead, I was immediately met by a fawn and doe, the male more boldly holding the path to the right.

Saw more along the way.

The trail begins with a bridge over Culebra Creek.

Here's the view down the creek where I was headed.

I found a side trail and decided next time I hike here I'll try it.

Deception Trail, hmmm.

I did try hiking an old road parallel to the trail. It was good to get off the concrete and walk in the dirt. It was still wet in the morning though, and I found myself watching where my feet were going instead of my surroundings. So I crossed back over to the concrete trail.

I came across this Texas Coral Snake crossing the path. It was maybe two feet long. They're poisonous.

Because I would stop to look and maybe take pictures, one other hiker passed me in silence. I saw a few others. And best of all only one fat-tire bike ridden nice and slow.

The trail is mostly trees, Oaks, Mesquite, and grasses, but I did find some Mexican Hat and am not sure what the purple one is.

I thought this was funny. 15 MPH. I had no way to check my speed.

Soon after that was the Culebra Road bridge, where I'd stopped Sunday.

So I stopped a bit, drank some water, and headed back the 1.2 miles to the trailhead. I could feel how out of shape I am toward the end but felt good about getting out there.

One concern is allergies. I've got them bad. But, surprisingly, my allergic reaction is about the same as staying home, where the A/C pumps allergins in all day.

Next trip I'll start at the same trailhead and hike north.
    Nice posting!

Looks like the trail is well maintained and nice you have a choice of concrete and/or dirt. Also sounds like you enjoyed it to the max as well so not only did you get in some good exercise, you got some great pictures as well.

I live about 5 minutes from the Appalachian trail and it looks more like the Deception Trail picture you posted only it's very rocky and hilly. Hiking is great exercise and the benefits are enormous to you both mental and physical; It's good for your cardiac system and help to relieve stress from your daily lives. the long term benefits are immeasurable when you think of it.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Red Lily (08-20-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    Nice posting!

Looks like the trail is well maintained and nice you have a choice of concrete and/or dirt. Also sounds like you enjoyed it to the max as well so not only did you get in some good exercise, you got some great pictures as well.

I live about 5 minutes from the Appalachian trail and it looks more like the Deception Trail picture you posted only it's very rocky and hilly. Hiking is great exercise and the benefits are enormous to you both mental and physical; It's good for your cardiac system and help to relieve stress from your daily lives. the long term benefits are immeasurable when you think of it.

I've hiked parts of the AT several times. Mostly in Virginia. Would like to go back someday.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've hiked parts of the AT several times. Mostly in Virginia. Would like to go back someday.

I've done the AT (White Mountains) in New Hampshire and in Conn and NY. I found the White Mountains to be the most challenging of the entire parts of the trail that I hiked.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-18-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,494
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,542x in 17,982 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scariest thing I ever came across on a Hiking Trail was a Rattle Snake!

But we heard it coming down a small embankment, let it cross the trail well in front of us, and we both went on our way....................

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-18-2021)

+ Reply to Thread