User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Up Close and On the Ground With Canada’s Intrepid Tree Planters

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,033x in 24,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Up Close and On the Ground With Canada’s Intrepid Tree Planters

Up Close and On the Ground With Canada’s Intrepid Tree Planters

Photographer and filmmaker Rita Leistner was a planter herself for years, before returning to document the grueling seasonal profession.

Tree Planter Russell Robertson (2017).jpg

In Canada, logging companies hire professional tree planters to place seedlings in the ground by hand. It’s a seasonal job—physically demanding and over rough terrain. Leistner has found that most people can’t appreciate just how demanding it is. In fact, she credits her time planting trees as preparing her for being a photographer in conflict zones. “Someone at my agency in New York at the time, when I‘d been working in Iraq, was giving me advice, and they’re like, ‘Well, you should take tree planting off your bio because it looks trivial next to your other accomplishments.’ And I thought, ‘Oh my God, those like half-million trees that I planted, that was one of the hardest things I will have ever done in my life.’”

image.jpg

The tree planters in my project are working for logging companies and for the government. But tree planting is in transition. It’s going from being something securely within the forestry industry to a kind of anthropocene symptom and solution to climate change. According to headlines, planting billions of trees is one of the most feasible and affordable ways of taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. Who is going to plant those billions? It won’t be done by volunteers planting a few trees a day. Canada’s professional tree planters are capable of planting upwards of 2,000 to 5,000 or more trees per day! If tree planting were an Olympic sport, Canadian tree planters would win all the gold.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...rs-photography
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (08-21-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,377x in 15,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I planted trees for a season in Francis Marion National Forest right after I got out of the Army. I don't even recall exactly how I got there. I needed some time and space to clear my head and figure out what I wanted to do in the next phase of my life.

It was hard, physical work, but it was about as close to Nature as you could get. For me, it was kind of therapeutic.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (08-21-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,494
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,541x in 17,981 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trees are renewable and always have been..........

+ Reply to Thread