User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Haunted by My Teaching Skeleton ...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,637x in 25,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Haunted by My Teaching Skeleton ...

Haunted by My Teaching Skeleton

Many skeletons that students use to learn about the human body are the remains of people with lives and stories. We need to remember and respect that.

There is something unsettling about being alone in a room putting away human skeletal remains. As a teaching assistant for an Introduction to Biological Anthropology and Archaeology class at Iowa State University from 2006–2007, I had become accustomed to working with human skeletal material. Nonetheless, when alone with the remains back in the 2000s, I felt anxious.

Could these people be at rest when their remains are housed in boxes in a teaching laboratory and taken out for labs and demonstrations, only to go back to a box on the shelf? Was that laboratory haunted?

I learned from my professor that Number One was known to be female, of South Asian origins (like me), and possibly Pakistani. Other students remarked that she was tiny, but I realized that most of her bones were the same size as mine. Her clavicle was the size of my clavicle; we matched. Her cranial bones were zippered together with a wide dark line, which meant she was a young woman: old enough to have finished growing but too young for the bones to knit together and the lines to soften. Perhaps she had been in her late teens or early 20s. I was 25 at the time.

04_st-Francis-Xavier-remains.jpeg

89511770-medical-doctor-woman-teaching-anatomy-using-human-skeleton-model.jpg

1834776365skeletons-animated-gif-23.gif

600764644b50830980d37f40434255db.gif

ade8bba730ba2b1c0d80022ccf30e403.gif

https://www.sapiens.org/archaeology/...tm_source=digg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (08-24-2021)

+ Reply to Thread