Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I've always called that, "milk weed."

Now THAT I have heard of before.
    Never knew they were the same and might help.
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 3,127
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    Now THAT I have heard of before.
    Never knew they were the same and might help.
    It's not milkweed (Latin name is Asclepias syriaca), which has different leaves and creates pods:

As you can see, milkweed has a very different leaf.

"Asclepias is a genus of herbaceous, perennial, flowering plants known as milkweeds, named for their latex, a milky substance containing cardiac glycosides termed cardenolides, exuded where cells are damaged.[3][4][5] Most species are toxic to humans and many other species, primarily due to the presence of cardenolides, although, as with many such plants, there are species that feed upon them (i.e. leaves) and from them (i.e. nectar). The genus contains over 200 species distributed broadly across Africa, North America, and South America.[6] It previously belonged to the family Asclepiadaceae, which is now classified as the subfamily Asclepiadoideae of the dogbane family, Apocynaceae." Asclepias - Wikipedia Milkweed is the plant necessary to the survival of the monarch butterfly.

I can see how people might call any plant with white sticky latex in the center vein of a leaf, milkweed, but actual milkweed sap is a different substance to that of wild lettuce.

Wild lettuce, on the other hand, is a member of the aster family, which also includes chicory and thistle. It is possible that wild lettuce grows in your area, since Europeans did introduce the plant in N. America a couple of hundred years ago, but it's not a native N. American plant.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (08-26-2021)

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,175
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,307x in 13,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if you could sue someone @Retirednsmilin308? This is criminal, I'm so sorry man.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

5. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (08-27-2021)

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,781x in 4,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the CBD oil, to little effect.

That is why I made the comment about maybe having to go to Colorado and become a pothead.

My problem is, I do not smoke, so I would need to find a source for some edibles.
    Only air goes into my lungs.

I also found the recipe for Appleby's Bahama Mamma $#@!tail.
    gotta get some grenadine, banana liquer, and some coconut rum and clear rum.

All I have is dark rum for my GROG.

When I have a good buzz, I am pain free for a bit and sleep good too.

Major drawback is I can't shut up. Blah, blah, bl;ah..
    Have you tried a combination of physical therapy and tumeric, or some of the other things you have tried but to no avail? Or a hot tub or a regular pool with a float ring, so your back can decompress?
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    It's not milkweed (Latin name is Asclepias syriaca), which has different leaves and creates pods:

As you can see, milkweed has a very different leaf.

"Asclepias is a genus of herbaceous, perennial, flowering plants known as milkweeds, named for their latex, a milky substance containing cardiac glycosides termed cardenolides, exuded where cells are damaged.[3][4][5] Most species are toxic to humans and many other species, primarily due to the presence of cardenolides, although, as with many such plants, there are species that feed upon them (i.e. leaves) and from them (i.e. nectar). The genus contains over 200 species distributed broadly across Africa, North America, and South America.[6] It previously belonged to the family Asclepiadaceae, which is now classified as the subfamily Asclepiadoideae of the dogbane family, Apocynaceae." Asclepias - Wikipedia Milkweed is the plant necessary to the survival of the monarch butterfly.

I can see how people might call any plant with white sticky latex in the center vein of a leaf, milkweed, but actual milkweed sap is a different substance to that of wild lettuce.

Wild lettuce, on the other hand, is a member of the aster family, which also includes chicory and thistle. It is possible that wild lettuce grows in your area, since Europeans did introduce the plant in N. America a couple of hundred years ago, but it's not a native N. American plant.

Thank you for the much needed correction.

Thank you for everything. Present and past. You have never steered me wrong.
    I am proud to call you a friend.

You know what I totally hate though ?

The fact I took two 10mg hydrocodones at 0300 today and feel fantastic and normal.

I HATE the fact...very real fact...I can not feel normal unless I have two of them in me.

This pain in my back and neck is so sharp and distracting, all I can do is mostly stay in bed all day, or only come out in short bursts of 30 minutes or so.
    Then I have to go back and lie down.

I had three cats in bed with me before I had to get up again. They know I am hurting bad and try and help with their auras around me.
    They just know.

So here I am, feeling normal and acting normal, but it takes two 10mg tabs to make that happen.

I HATE this life I am living now.

Were it not for my loving wife and five cats I would do something crazy.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Have you tried a combination of physical therapy and tumeric, or some of the other things you have tried but to no avail? Or a hot tub or a regular pool with a float ring, so your back can decompress?

I got a book about 2 years ago called The McKenzie Method of treating your own back pain.
    I ignored it and threw it in a drawer. I also got one about the same thing, but about NECK pain.

Now I have them out.

One thing I learned from it is to release spine pressure you have to BEND OVER BACKWARDS...not lean and bend over forward.
    I had no idea.

I am at the reading stage right now, but I like what I am reading.

Evidently Dr. McKenzie is hated and reviled in the US. He is a New Zealander.
    They hate him because all of his stretches and exercises you can do yourself and just need his book.

My current Primary Care Dr. said he is going to drop me next month, but tried to get me to hire his AT HOME therapy people for $5 a minute.
    Yes, you heard me right...$5 A MINUTE....for them to toss a pamphlet in my face, show me one trick, and drive away.
    Maybe that is why he is dropping me.
    Sex "talk dirty" lines don't cost that much.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (08-26-2021)

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,175
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,307x in 13,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a book about 2 years ago called The McKenzie Method of treating your own back pain.
    I ignored it and threw it in a drawer. I also got one about the same thing, but about NECK pain.

Now I have them out.

One thing I learned from it is to release spine pressure you have to BEND OVER BACKWARDS...not lean and bend over forward.
    I had no idea.

They hate him because all of his stretches and exercises you can do yourself and just need his book.

My current Primary Care Dr. said he is going to drop me next month, but tried to get me to hire his AT HOME therapy people for $5 a minute.
    Yes, you heard me right...$5 A MINUTE....for them to toss a pamphlet in my face, show me one trick, and drive away.
    The back bend stretch is the only one the works much for my back pain. My pain comes mainly from a bulged disc, and bending backwards sort of pushes the disc back in. I'm supposed to do a set of ten every hour, but usually only do three or four sets per day.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thom Paine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,093x in 667 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get a wet sloppy kiss...tongue, no tongue.. your choice.
    (line from "My Fellow Americans")

Great idea.

MOBILITY ISSUES. Silver bullet.

Think they will send over a cute nurse to give me sponge baths ?
    A cute one ? heheheh that's a crap shoot.
    You may also benefit with in clinic physical therapy a few visits each week;
    and....
    investigate HOMEDICS chair/seat massagers.. I use one similar to this:

https://www.homedics.com/thera-p-dee...ger-with-heat/

The first time the above rolls up your back, I gar-own-tee your eyes will cross cuz of the discomfort. Keep using it. several times per day (automatic 15 min.) ..
    Over time it will break down lesions (scar tissue) and alleviate the damned spasms causing your aggravation.

Sharing personal experience with you. In clinic Physical Therapy... 3-5 times per week; 3-5 hours per day; to the week, 4 years of it.
    Attitude... If it's physical, it's therapy.

Ignore the discomfort; press on as if your life depends on it ... 'cause it Does !

Kick some ass today R !

EDIT ADD : consider Medicare instead of VA
    Last edited by Thom Paine; 08-26-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    "I've outlived the country I loved" Monte Walsh 1970

"Remember: On the other side of that screen is a real person" (Missouri Mule)

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thom Paine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,093x in 667 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I have them out.

I had no idea.

Personal 'sperience ... At home PT will not do diddly-crap ... you need a clinic setting... lots of options in a clinic..
    Your attitude is correct about in home PT.

Kick some ass S!
    "I've outlived the country I loved" Monte Walsh 1970

"Remember: On the other side of that screen is a real person" (Missouri Mule)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 3,127
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the much needed correction.

Thank you for everything. Present and past. You have never steered me wrong.
    I am proud to call you a friend.

You know what I totally hate though ?

The fact I took two 10mg hydrocodones at 0300 today and feel fantastic and normal.

I HATE the fact...very real fact...I can not feel normal unless I have two of them in me.

This pain in my back and neck is so sharp and distracting, all I can do is mostly stay in bed all day, or only come out in short bursts of 30 minutes or so.
    Then I have to go back and lie down.

I had three cats in bed with me before I had to get up again. They know I am hurting bad and try and help with their auras around me.
    They just know.

So here I am, feeling normal and acting normal, but it takes two 10mg tabs to make that happen.

I HATE this life I am living now.

Were it not for my loving wife and five cats I would do something crazy.
    Have you asked about surgery to correct the problem?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread