Thanks Given
    Thanked 198x in 179 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Story To Be Told.

[Quoting myself from another site:]

"The rapid take-over of Afghanistan by the Taliban occurred because there was little in place -- a hollow military and a government not 'of the people' -- to oppose them. The United States of America, through 20 years and 4 administrations, two Republican and two Democratic, has had a presence, military and civilian, in Afghanistan. The US has had the capability of knowing what was going on. There is little reason to believe that the Afghans at the top of the house of cards were able to pull the wool over the eyes of the senior in-country Americans.

"Yet, the debacle happened and, we are told, came as a surprise. There is much pointing of fingers.

"The American public is too caught up in red/blue tribal nonsense to ask how both parties -- both parties -- could have been complicit in what may well be a shameful cover-up.

"That is the story to be told.

"It is doubtful that those atop either political party will show the slightest interest in telling it.

"Regards, stay safe 'n well.

"Ref: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...uption-taliban"

Note: I try to reply to all who quote one of my posts. If I have not responded to your quote and comment, it is probably because I no longer read your posts.
    Last edited by Torus34; 08-31-2021 at 07:07 AM.
    "And gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche." Chaucer, the Canterbury Tales.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Staying in Afghanistan for 20 years was a mistake. And it was so on the part of both parties. Once Al Queda had been chased out, we should've left.

But that was not the debacle. The debacle was in the execution. The debacle was in ignoring signs the Afghan military was so weak. The debacle was in not planning for the worst case scenario. The debacle was starting the pull out of troops before civilians, and now leaving civilians behind.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,457x in 13,508 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torus34 View Post

"The rapid take-over of Afghanistan by the Taliban occurred because there was little in place -- a hollow military and a government not 'of the people' -- to oppose them. The United States of America, through 20 years and 4 administrations, two Republican and two Democratic, has had a presence, military and civilian, in Afghanistan. The US has had the capability of knowing what was going on. There is little reason to believe that the Afghans at the top of the house of cards were able to pull the wool over the eyes of the senior in-country Americans.

"Yet, the debacle happened and, we are told, came as a surprise. There is much pointing of fingers.

"The American public is too caught up in red/blue tribal nonsense to ask how both parties -- both parties -- could have been complicit in what may well be a shameful cover-up.

"It is doubtful that those atop either political party will show the slightest interest in telling it.

This does not absolve the doddering old fart you cheated into the Whitehouse, of his criminal blunder of a pullout. Nice try.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Yakuda (08-31-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note: I try to reply to all who quote one of my posts. If I have not responded to your quote and comment, it is probably because I no longer read your posts.

I'm sure there is blame to go around on both sides, but the lion's share of the blame falls on the current administration that was unable to assess the current state of affairs on the ground and seemed to forget that the Taliban was a dangerous group with many, many followers.

There is shame in the fact that we left allies behind to die and we left military equipment behind, which will only strengthen the cavemen who now control the country.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Yakuda (08-31-2021)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Torus34's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 198x in 179 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I'm sure there is blame to go around on both sides, but the lion's share of the blame falls on the current administration that was unable to assess the current state of affairs on the ground and seemed to forget that the Taliban was a dangerous group with many, many followers. [Bolding mine.]
    There is shame in the fact that we left allies behind to die and we left military equipment behind, which will only strengthen the cavemen who now control the country.
    Hi, FindersKeepers!

Thank you for making one of the points in the OP.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
    "And gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche." Chaucer, the Canterbury Tales.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Yakuda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 687x in 498 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your boy joke Biden pulled the plug before Americans and allies of America could be pulled out of there. There is no way around this the idiot the buffoons put into the white house in November is solely responsible for what is going on right now. BTW didn't Obama bin laden say he was selecting joke Biden as vp because of his "expertise" in foreign affairs????

+ Reply to Thread