User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who makes surgical masks you can actually breath through?

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    slackercruster's Avatar Senior Member
    Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 561x in 398 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who makes surgical masks you can actually breath through?

I stopped wearing masks in the Spring when the state took them off the mandatory list. Recently got tested for covid antibodies to see if I have any built-in defense. I have no antibodies and never got the vaccine. Fall is coming and covid or whatever the current virus du jour is, is rising; so mask season may come around again as the state goes back to mandatory masks.

I've been using new / old stock Henry Schein procedure masks for dentists from 1998 made in USA. (Yes, America used to make masks.) I found a couple hundred new masks I had in storage and had been using them. I used to buy the masks by the case when I worked in demolition. There were cheap enough so you could change them every few hours if you needed to. For heavy dirt I used 3M N95's, but back then they were not called N95's.

All the Chinese surgical masks I've tried look similar to this vintage 1998 mask, but you can't breath through the material. Consequently you end up breathing in unfiltered air sucked in from the sides of the mask. In other words the Chinese masks I've tried are just for show. To test surgical masks for filtering, form a seal around your lips with the mask material as you suck in air through your mouth. If you can't breath through the mask material...there you go...you got a decorator model!

Since the USA does not seem to make any surgical masks, I'm hoping that someone in China or elsewhere makes a decent filtering mask. I hate wearing N95 masks all the time. Any suggestions for masks you can actually breath through?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:

bdtex (09-19-2021)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 714
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,334x in 18,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ! As long as people are willing to let the government tell them how to live, they'll just keep chipping away at our freedoms.

Covid is here, it ain't going anywhere, much like the flu virus is always here, always mutating but, we live with it, we don't mask up, impose stupid mandates because of it!

If this virus is ever going to be treated like just another virus we deal with, this $#@! is going to last forever.

The question shouldn't be, "where can I get a decent mask," it should be, "when is this $#@! going end?!"

BTW.......you would actually consider wearing a mask made in CHINA?!
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (09-20-2021)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,715x in 16,155 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    Jesus Christ! As long as people are willing to let the government tell them how to live, they'll just keep chipping away at our freedoms.

Covid is here, it ain't going anywhere, much like the flu virus is always here, always mutating but, we live with it, we don't mask up, impose stupid mandates because of it!

If this virus is ever going to be treated like just another virus we deal with, this $#@! is going to last forever.

The question shouldn't be, "where can I get a decent mask," it should be, "when is this $#@! going end?!"

BTW.......you would actually consider wearing a mask made in CHINA?!

Of course I would wear a mask from China if I was ugly enough.
    IOW " hello China"
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,715x in 16,155 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
    I stopped wearing masks in the Spring when the state took them off the mandatory list. Recently got tested for covid antibodies to see if I have any built-in defense. I have no antibodies and never got the vaccine. Fall is coming and covid or whatever the current virus du jour is, is rising; so mask season may come around again as the state goes back to mandatory masks.

I've been using new / old stock Henry Schein procedure masks for dentists from 1998 made in USA. (Yes, America used to make masks.) I found a couple hundred new masks I had in storage and had been using them. I used to buy the masks by the case when I worked in demolition. There were cheap enough so you could change them every few hours if you needed to. For heavy dirt I used 3M N95's, but back then they were not called N95's.

All the Chinese surgical masks I've tried look similar to this vintage 1998 mask, but you can't breath through the material. Consequently you end up breathing in unfiltered air sucked in from the sides of the mask. In other words the Chinese masks I've tried are just for show. To test surgical masks for filtering, form a seal around your lips with the mask material as you suck in air through your mouth. If you can't breath through the mask material...there you go...you got a decorator model!

Since the USA does not seem to make any surgical masks, I'm hoping that someone in China or elsewhere makes a decent filtering mask. I hate wearing N95 masks all the time. Any suggestions for masks you can actually breath through?
    Who needs to distribute a mask you can breathe thru. ?
    The real reason for the mask is to train our citizens to be good little goose steppers
    Last edited by Cotton1; 09-20-2021 at 05:18 AM.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (09-20-2021)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look for high-rated usage from 3M.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,791x in 2,269 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breath through? Don't know, but, some friends created a cloth mask that has a "straw hole" with a Velcro flap over it that might help...

+ Reply to Thread