User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Eat the rich! Why millennials and generation Z have turned their backs on capitalism

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,633x in 25,169 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I never lived in a "ghetto", but my hubby and I rented in a lot of working class neighborhoods before buying a house and I lived through those inflationary times with high interest rates as well. We did without a car for about 8 years until we moved out to a rental in the suburbs and you couldn't get around without one. We bought our house when typical interest rates were running around 15% and that was down from the all-time highs of around 19%. Mortgage rates were only a point or two less. The difference was back then, if you had savings or bonds, you were making money. You could also quit a job and have another one within a week. At any rate, I'd wouldn't trade the working decades that my generation enjoyed for those that Millennials and now Gen Z are facing.

We left the ghetto when we were broken into and cleaned out two weeks before Christmas - and the detective told me: 'they'll be back'. Neither you nor I sought to change the system, we redoubled our efforts and didn't whine about it. Now, they want to change the system.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    We left the ghetto when we were broken into and cleaned out two weeks before Christmas - and the detective told me: 'they'll be back'. Neither you nor I sought to change the system, we redoubled our efforts and didn't whine about it. Now, they want to change the system.
    I think they want to change the system because the system no longer works for the people, it works for the big corporations.

"At the start of 2020, 37% of Americans younger than 35 owned a home, compared to 64% of Americans under 35 in 1989. The marriage rate decreased to half of US adults in 2017 from 72% in 1960. In 2019, the US birthrate hit a record low in 35 years as more women delayed childbearing until their 30s.

[...]

The Great Recession threw millennials into a blighted job market, kneecapping their ability to build wealth. A 2018 Federal Reserve study and 2019 Deloitte study both found they're financially behind previous generations at similar ages.
    The issue of student debt "threw a giant monkey wrench into the works," Samuel said. Millennials were sold on the promise that a college education would guarantee a good job, only to find that some starting salaries wouldn't cover monthly loan payments.

[...]

Soaring living costs haven't helped. Starter homes are scarce, and the median price of home sales has increased by 39% since 1974. That's not to mention that health insurance and childcare are more expensive than ever."
    Millennials Aren't Killing the American Dream. They're Reviving It. (businessinsider.com)

Millennial Generation: Information on the Economic Status of Millennial Households Compared to Previous Generations | U.S. GAO

Whether it’s homes or jobs, our dreams are moving further out of reach every year - NewsBreak
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,493
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PJL's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 982x in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    No. Your unrelenting support for the CCP and other totalitarian regimes while fabricating falsehoods against the United States makes my label correct.
    What I abhor most of all , is what the US does these days.....it's disgusting and it's immoral , and on an overall human rights point of view , China is way better than America......yet you pretenders and delusional infidels still insist that you're some mystical moral beacon that world needs to follow......sheesh !

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,493
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PJL's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 982x in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Unfortunately, SCOTUS has ruled that corporations are people. But even without that, a single representative of a corporation could lobby congress to the same effect.
    .....and therein lies the problem . Corporations owe no allegiance to anything but the bottom line on a balance sheet . They care not who dies , who gets sick , who starves to death or who gets burnt alive . They are oblivious to wars , acts of genocide or cruelty of the worst kind to people , the environment or the air we breath and the water we drink . They are ruining the only world we have . They are a malignant cancer that needs to be removed from this world , so people can start to live again .....breath again .
    Last edited by PJL; 09-23-2021 at 11:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread