Members banned from this thread: jet57

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max Weber & Modernity

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Max Weber & Modernity

See D's What did Medieval monks do all day? for Catholic influences. Weber focuses on Protestant influences.

I won't vouch for the accuracy of the video "Max Weber & Modernity" but I think it captures Weber well enough.

On the subtopic of the modernist change from traditionalism to rationalism, or rationalization, which includes calculability, methodical behavior, and reflexivity. Calculability is if you know the inputs, you can know the inputs. Science? Methodical behavior is determined by bureaucracy, it is mindless, meaningless. Reflexivity, is looking inward to the individual rather than outward to your place in society.

Take the time to give it a view, only 10 minutes.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (09-24-2021)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    See D's What did Medieval monks do all day? for Catholic influences. Weber focuses on Protestant influences.

I won't vouch for the accuracy of the video "Max Weber & Modernity" but I think it captures Weber well enough.

On the subtopic of the modernist change from traditionalism to rationalism, or rationalization, which includes calculability, methodical behavior, and reflexivity. Calculability is if you know the inputs, you can know the inputs. Science? Methodical behavior is determined by bureaucracy, it is mindless, meaningless. Reflexivity, is looking inward to the individual rather than outward to your place in society.

Take the time to give it a view, only 10 minutes.

So let's see; Protestantism started capitalism... Capitalism was present in Europe during the Middle Ages. Protestantism gave rise to the questioning of authority in the "introspective" realm. Sweeny's video is crammed full of fast talk with out much attention to the subject. A crash course in anything should be fluent and articulated in a such way for instance here, where modernity as a thought process is not glossed over to make room for several rushed together thoughts that have more to do with what modernity really is rather than what it affected.

And posting Marx's examination makes your theses unbalanced and lacking. It is also interesting that Sweeny chooses the DMV as an example of bureaucracy, though method and repetitive action: like installing a fender at a car factory... Corporations (see Amazon), don't care who or what you are and are procedure overdosed to cover liabilities. THAT too is missing.

I still don't know what your point is, as there is nothing to compare any of your OP too as an example of why you might be right and say Marx wrong...

Class, income and status have been around since the days of Sumer and the Priests, so Sweeny tells us nothing new there either.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    So let's see; Protestantism started capitalism... Capitalism was present in Europe during the Middle Ages. Protestantism gave rise to the questioning of authority in the "introspective" realm. Sweeny's video is crammed full of fast talk with out much attention to the subject. A crash course in anything should be fluent and articulated in a such way for instance here, where modernity as a thought process is not glossed over to make room for several rushed together thoughts that have more to do with what modernity really is rather than what it affected.

And posting Marx's examination makes your theses unbalanced and lacking. It is also interesting that Sweeny chooses the DMV as an example of bureaucracy, though method and repetitive action: like installing a fender at a car factory... Corporations (see Amazon), don't care who or what you are and are procedure overdosed to cover liabilities. THAT too is missing.

I still don't know what your point is, as there is nothing to compare any of your OP too as an example of why you might be right and say Marx wrong...

Class, income and status have been around since the days of Sumer and the Priests, so Sweeny tells us nothing new there either.

You really had trouble understanding the video.

It doesn't say Protestantism started capitalism but did promote it. Catholicism came before as an influence.

Capitalism replaced the mercantilism of feudal Europe. While its root go back further, it emerged during the Enlightenment.

I posted nothing in the OP about Marx.

While repetitive method works for the production of goods like cars, it doesn't work politically like at the DMV.

The point was simply an introduction to Weber. Nothing was said in the OP about Marx. Sweeny was only talking about Weber's sociology.

Address the topic or post elsewhere.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really had trouble understanding the video.

It doesn't say Protestantism started capitalism but did promote it. Catholicism came before as an influence.

Capitalism replaced the mercantilism of feudal Europe. While its root go back further, it emerged during the Enlightenment.

I posted nothing in the OP about Marx.

While repetitive method works for the production of goods like cars, it doesn't work politically like at the DMV.

The point was simply an introduction to Weber. Nothing was said in the OP about Marx. Sweeny was only talking about Weber's sociology.

Address the topic or post elsewhere.

Yeah, we all know that, but how come your video didn't point it out? And I told you when capitalism as a practice showed up, so I had no trouble with your video other than a word salad that would rival any fast talker who says a whole lot of nothing. And the DMV is NOT political.

You posted nothing in the OP about Marx because you want to present one sided arguments in any subject you enter into. And if you don't understand protestantism any better than that, then you need to hit the books.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we all know that, but how come your video didn't point it out? And I told you when capitalism as a practice showed up, so I had no trouble with your video other than a word salad that would rival any fast talker who says a whole lot of nothing. And the DMV is NOT political.

You posted nothing in the OP about Marx because you want to present one sided arguments in any subject you enter into. And if you don't understand protestantism any better than that, then you need to hit the books.

[/COLOR]
    Jet: "Capitalism was present in Europe during the Middle Ages."
    Chris: "Capitalism replaced the mercantilism of feudal Europe."
    Jet: "Yeah, we all know that...."

Not according to your first statement.

The DMV is a bureaucratic product of modern politics.

The video was not about capitalism (or Marx) but about Weber and his views of modernity.

Try to address the topic or be gone.

Achievements:
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jet: "Capitalism was present in Europe during the Middle Ages."
    Chris: "Capitalism replaced the mercantilism of feudal Europe."
    Jet: "Yeah, we all know that...."

Not according to your first statement.

The DMV is a bureaucratic product of modern politics.

The video was not about capitalism (or Marx) but about Weber and his views of modernity.

Try to address the topic or be gone.
    Yeah, I told you first. You had to cover your mistake. The DMV is a federally and state run department of transportation and the regulations and laws that adhere to it. I got my heavy duty license in 1978 so I know about the DMV.

And I have addressed the topic since my first post.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I told you first. You had to cover your mistake. The DMV is a federally and state run department of transportation and the regulations and laws that adhere to it. I got my heavy duty license in 1978 so I know about the DMV.

And I have addressed the topic since my first post.

You told me capitalism existed during the Middle Ages. It didn't. It emerged with the Enlightenment, the Industrial Age.

You, on topic? Weber was a critic of capitalism. Of democracy as well, though he advocated parliamentarism because it provided better political leaders than bureaucracy.

Achievements:
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You told me capitalism existed during the Middle Ages. It didn't. It emerged with the Enlightenment, the Industrial Age.

You, on topic? Weber was a critic of capitalism. Of democracy as well, though he advocated parliamentarism because it provided better political leaders than bureaucracy.
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/capitalism
    Although the continuous development of capitalism as a system dates only from the 16th century, antecedents of capitalist institutions existed in the ancient world, and flourishing pockets of capitalism were present in Europe during the later Middle Ages.

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,040x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tPF Thread Ban - Note: Please see this announcement if clarification on tPF is required. Additionally, see Rule 10 for further details.

@jet57 banned by OP for off topic and/or trolling

Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another video on Weber.

It says the Protestant Work Ethic involves people proving to God their worth. According to Raymond Aron, Main Currents in Sociological Thought, it had to do with proving to others their salvation was determined.

+ Reply to Thread