User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sotomayor Disqualifies Herself from Ruling on Texas Heartbeat Act?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sotomayor Disqualifies Herself from Ruling on Texas Heartbeat Act?

I'd say she overstepped limits on speaking about a case, on advocating a political cause, and should recuse herself or be recused.

...Justice Sotomayor appears to have encouraged lawyers in her audience to work to change the Texas Heartbeat Act. Indeed, she seems to realize that she crossed the line requiring her disqualification from cases involving the Act.

Here’s the full passage (emphasis added):

Sotomayor was among the four dissenters who would have stopped the law taking effect, and in a virtual appearance at an American Bar Association summit on diversity, she mentioned the Texas law, which she wrote in her dissent was “flagrantly unconstitutional.” She told a questioner that “there’s going to be a lot of disappointments in the law, a huge amount.”

“As you study cases and look at outcomes you disagree with, it can get frustrating,” she said. “Look at me, look at my dissents, okay?” she said, laughing. “At least I have a vehicle, I have a dissent mechanism that I can explain how I feel.”

She continued: “So you know, I can’t change Texas’s law, but you can. You can and everyone else who may or may not like it can go out there and be lobbying forces in changing laws that you don’t like.”

“I’m pointing out to that when I shouldn’t because they told me I shouldn’t,” she said, referring to the practice by which justices refrain from commenting outside the court setting on cases that are before them.

Note how in the middle of the second sentence that I’ve highlighted, Sotomayor evidently grasps that she has improperly spoken about the Texas Heartbeat Act, so she tries to shift at the end of her sentence to speaking generically of “changing laws that you don’t like.” Too late, as she herself seems to acknowledge in the last sentence: “I’m pointing out to that when I shouldn’t….”

It already seemed farfetched that the abortion providers challenging the Act would get the four votes needed to grant their extraordinary petition for certiorari before judgment. Without Sotomayor’s participation, the probability would be zero.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MMC (10-01-2021),stjames1_53 (10-01-2021)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,040
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,267x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'd say she overstepped limits on speaking about a case, on advocating a political cause, and should recuse herself or be recused.

“As you study cases and look at outcomes you disagree with, it can get frustrating,” she said. “Look at me, look at my dissents, okay?” she said, laughing. “At least I have a vehicle, I have a dissent mechanism that I can explain how I feel.”
    Law has no feelings., and neither do facts.
    You should not only disqualify yourself, you should leave the bench if you rule based on "feelings."
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Chris (10-01-2021)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

She should be hooked up for Judicial Review. She knowingly knew what she was doing.

Anyhow.....one less bell to answer. 6-2 or 5-2 with Roberts siding with the Deviants.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (10-01-2021)

+ Reply to Thread