Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,512x in 16,036 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Booman View Post
    Someone to avoid at bus stops.
    I missed your humor when you were gone you twisted mfer .
    Good to see you back .
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (10-04-2021),The Booman (10-03-2021)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Doesn't matter who made they argument, they stole you all feminists' thunder, used your argument, and you all are pissed off. Well, some feminists, most don't care.
    The correct assessment is that the mainstream feminist movement in this country, and much of the Western world (not so much elsewhere) gradually came to embrace the concept of gender over the course of the 1980s and '90s. It's a case of the women's movement being substantially colonized by what we today call the gender identity movement.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    The correct assessment is that the mainstream feminist movement in this country, and much of the Western world (not so much elsewhere) gradually came to embrace the concept of gender over the course of the 1980s and '90s. It's a case of the women's movement being substantially colonized by what we today call the gender identity movement.
    Hardly. Ask the average person on the street to name genders and you'll get two, male and female. Told there are 96 pronouns, most people will think you nuts.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that's been a contention now for years. I've been hearing about "pregnant people" now for the last four years myself. It's far from the most insidious aspect of this movement, but it is a significant thing if it means that, in the name of political correctness, we have to in the future stop labeling medicines as men's and women's on the grounds that both can have the same bodies. Failure to do so could have serious, even life-threatening consequences. It's also quite serious to me when we're talking about abortion rights because this kind of political correctness stops us from discussing such pregnancy-related things as women's issue at all, which is the very heart and soul of the matter. It's also just kind of insulting (and not just to one's intelligence).

Anyway, I think that, as something of a lifelong leftist myself, I may be better positioned to communicate effectively with other leftists on these issues than most people around here are, as I have a certain first-hand understanding of how people on the left tend to think, I understand their specialized lingo and share a lot of their values, that sorta thing. Having values in common in other areas may make it easier for me than others around here to communicate with a random liberal on this issue methinks. It's impossible to do on their own platforms because they just ban you or gang up on you in overwhelming numbers, preventing any kind of real debate from occurring, but a one-on-one debate here I think could prove fruitful! I think. I don't really know, it's what I'd like to find out!

I admire your courage to do this...and your ability to see you can not bring up certain subject with the left without being dogpiled.
    You know damb well it would happen.

As I told you before, this is exactly why I joined a political forum.
    To heard BOTH sides, but, as you have also experienced....few of the radical left want to actually DEBATE.
    They think you are some kind of cro-magnun for just wanting to talk about something.
    ALL questioning voices must be shut down.

Not with me.

It also irks me as to how they have hijacked the LIBERAL moniker.

LIBERALS....believe in free speech
    believe in open debate.
    Would LOVE to talk to you about some issue
    and are open to listening to you.

They may still believe what they will, but they will listen and also allow you to talk.

Radical leftists do not believe ANYONE has a right to question ANYTHING they say....and will do all they can to shut you down.

You remind me of the liberals of the 60's, and my liberal buddies in the Navy.
    We might disagree, but I know you, and they have my back 24/7.
    If this is my last post to you...remember this above all else.
    You ARE a LIBERAL of the classic sense.
    Something to be proud of.

The searing pain has kept me bed ridden since Friday.
    I took 20mg of hydrocodone and 75mg of Lyrica just to play a game of two deck Spider Solitaire and log on here.

I feel I need to say my peace to a lot of people here.

Your friend, Dave
    Last edited by Retirednsmilin308; 10-04-2021 at 12:56 AM.
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (10-04-2021),stephenpe (10-05-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    I admire your courage to do this...and your ability to see you can not bring up certain subject with the left without being dogpiled.
    You know damb well it would happen.

As I told you before, this is exactly why I joined a political forum.
    To heard BOTH sides, but, as you have also experienced....few of the radical left want to actually DEBATE.
    They think you are some kind of cro-magnun for just wanting to talk about something.
    ALL questioning voices must be shut down.

Not with me.

It also irks me as to how they have hijacked the LIBERAL moniker.

LIBERALS....believe in free speech
    believe in open debate.
    Would LOVE to talk to you about some issue
    and are open to listening to you.

They may still believe what they will, but they will listen and also allow you to talk.

Radical leftists do not believe ANYONE has a right to question ANYTHING they say....and will do all they can to shut you down.

You remind me of the liberals of the 60's, and my liberal buddies in the Navy.
    We might disagree, but I know you, and they have my back 24/7.
    If this is my last post to you...remember this above all else.
    You ARE a LIBERAL of the classic sense.
    Something to be proud of.

The searing pain has kept me bed ridden since Friday.
    I took 20mg of hydrocodone and 75mg of Lyrica just to play a game of two deck Spider Solitaire and log on here.

I feel I need to say my peace to a lot of people here.

Your friend, Dave
    Well I certainly hope, and believe, that this isn't my last reply to you! I know you're gonna make it, dude, just hang in there!

Couldn't resist mentioning that one of the three people I mentioned responded in a private message yesterday afternoon and it was an absolutely classic confirmation of the point you're getting at. I wish I were allowed to quote it in full here (it was three sentences, so not a long read), but apparently the forum rules dictate that, even though I could just avoid specifying his screen name, doing so would nonetheless violate his right to privacy. The summary version though is that I'm apparently a stupid Republican who just wants to exchange insults and has no intention of exchanging views in good faith, as evidenced by the fact that clicking on the seven-year-old tPF blog linked in my signature yields an error message (something I didn't even notice until he pointed it out, and which doesn't matter anyway because the opinions contained thereon are long since outdated). I responded by pointing out that I'm a fellow leftist (a fact that one need only search my back posts to verify), that my whole purpose in setting up a one-on-one debate was to have a more meaningful exchange of opinions than might otherwise be possible, and by finally asking why hell he's on a political debate forum if he's not interested in debating anyone with differing views on the grounds that they're all idiots acting in bad faith. Radio silence. Absolutely classic cop-out.

I predict I will either get no response from the other two or else that any such response will be similar in nature. To that end, I may just go ahead and divulge some of the points I wanted to make elsewhere on the forum today, as there's clearly going to be no meaningful debate anyway. Guess you were right: it's a waste of time to even try debating with people woke enough to be surprised that Alana McLaughlin won his debut MMA fight in the women's category after just six months of training compared to his clearly more skilled opponent's decade of preparation, or at least not on such issues as this anyway. Naturally people who can't defend their positions don't want to debate them. The real question is why they join debate forums.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 10-04-2021 at 06:17 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (10-04-2021)

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I certainly hope, and believe, that this isn't my last reply to you! I know you're gonna make it, dude, just hang in there!

Couldn't resist mentioning that one of the three people I mentioned responded in a private message yesterday afternoon and it was an absolutely classic confirmation of the point you're getting at. I wish I were allowed to quote it in full here (it was three sentences, so not a long read), but apparently the forum rules dictate that, even though I could just avoid specifying his screen name, doing so would nonetheless violate his right to privacy. The summary version though is that I'm apparently a stupid Republican who just wants to exchange insults and has no intention of exchanging views in good faith, as evidenced by the fact that clicking on the seven-year-old tPF blog linked in my signature yields an error message (something I didn't even notice until he pointed it out, and which doesn't matter anyway because the opinions contained thereon are long since outdated). I responded by pointing out that I'm a fellow leftist (a fact that one need only search my back posts to verify), that my whole purpose in setting up a one-on-one debate was to have a more meaningful exchange of opinions than might otherwise be possible, and by finally asking why hell he's on a political debate forum if he's not interested in debating anyone with differing views on the grounds that they're all idiots acting in bad faith. Radio silence. Absolutely classic cop-out.

I predict I will either get no response from the other two or else that any such response will be similar in nature. To that end, I may just go ahead and divulge some of the points I wanted to make elsewhere on the forum today, as there's clearly going to be no meaningful debate anyway. Guess you were right: it's a waste of time to even try debating with people woke enough to be surprised that Alana McLaughlin won his debut MMA fight in the women's category after just six months of training compared to his clearly more skilled opponent's decade of preparation, or at least not on such issues as this anyway. Naturally people who can't defend their positions don't want to debate them. The real question is why they join debate forums.

Your post deserves more than just a LIKE.

So now you are a "stoopid Republican" ? Whoodda thunk it ?

Funny how the labels people put on you change from person to person and day to day...issue to issue.

I got my back and neck smashed all to hell facing Americas enemies, and right wing extreme jagoffs say I am a disloyal person for not thinking exactly like they want me to think.

Those labelers of your and those labelers of mine are two cheeks of the same ass.
    They think exactly the same way.

DEBATE, critical thinking, and hearing what the other guy has to say are completely foreign concepts to them.

I would LOVE...literally LOVE to see you debate one of them in open combat in the arena.

...but I think none of them would dare.

If you like, I would enjoy debating you on something.
    Not really political so much, but almost as emotional.
    Let's see if any of them have the courage to face you in open combat on the field of honor first.

PS...the topic I would like to discuss with you is whether all humanity would be dead after an all out nuclear exchange.

In my experience, I say NO. There will still be humans on planet earth, and there will also be some cities and towns untouched.

but let's see how you fair with your deal first, OK ?
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (10-05-2021),Thom Paine (10-04-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    Your post deserves more than just a LIKE.

So now you are a "stoopid Republican" ? Whoodda thunk it ?

Funny how the labels people put on you change from person to person and day to day...issue to issue.

I got my back and neck smashed all to hell facing Americas enemies, and right wing extreme jagoffs say I am a disloyal person for not thinking exactly like they want me to think.

Those labelers of your and those labelers of mine are two cheeks of the same ass.
    They think exactly the same way.

DEBATE, critical thinking, and hearing what the other guy has to say are completely foreign concepts to them.

I would LOVE...literally LOVE to see you debate one of them in open combat in the arena.

...but I think none of them would dare.

If you like, I would enjoy debating you on something.
    Not really political so much, but almost as emotional.
    Let's see if any of them have the courage to face you in open combat on the field of honor first.

PS...the topic I would like to discuss with you is whether all humanity would be dead after an all out nuclear exchange.

In my experience, I say NO. There will still be humans on planet earth, and there will also be some cities and towns untouched.

but let's see how you fair with your deal first, OK ?
    Thanks so much for the compliments!!

We could have that debate about the ramifications of a hypothetical nuclear war except that I'm in agreement with your position, so it might be kinda pointless.

Anyway, it's been days now. Clearly no one's going to take me up on this, so I'll just post some of the stuff I wanted to in the debate context elsewhere on the forums later.

Who's labeling you a disloyal person??
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 10-05-2021 at 07:44 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (10-07-2021)

Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lefties challenged to debate...

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (10-07-2021)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,388
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial25000 Experience Points
    stephenpe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,777x in 1,851 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read a little about transgenders. I observed children for forty years in my career working in school settings (mostly elem). By 2/3rd grade I could usually tell if a child didnt fall perfectly into the boy or girl category. I taught a girl 30 yrs ago who looked just like a boy. When we had competitions against other schools I was asked why a boy was allowed to play against other girls. She went on to be in the Navy and is gay. I taught a girl 7 yrs ago who said she was a boy. Her older sister said her and grandma were angry about it. She looked like a boy to me. One thing that has puzzled me over many years is how people so easily accept the diversity of humans in so many ways but kick back hard when its about sexual identity. People come in all kinds of ways (I called it being wired differently). I have also read many instances where a person said they felt trapped in a man or womans body but felt the other way. Mostly, I feel sorry for people that feel so different or behave so different in a society where they are at best tolerated and worse criticized often and looked upon in disgust. I love the saying "God does not make junk" I have also observed very conservative families eventually accept and fully embrace their children that march out of step this way. My two cents FWIW

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenpe For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (10-05-2021),Retirednsmilin308 (10-07-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenpe View Post
    I have read a little about transgenders. I observed children for forty years in my career working in school settings (mostly elem). By 2/3rd grade I could usually tell if a child didnt fall perfectly into the boy or girl category. I taught a girl 30 yrs ago who looked just like a boy. When we had competitions against other schools I was asked why a boy was allowed to play against other girls. She went on to be in the Navy and is gay. I taught a girl 7 yrs ago who said she was a boy. Her older sister said her and grandma were angry about it. She looked like a boy to me. One thing that has puzzled me over many years is how people so easily accept the diversity of humans in so many ways but kick back hard when its about sexual identity. People come in all kinds of ways (I called it being wired differently). I have also read many instances where a person said they felt trapped in a man or womans body but felt the other way. Mostly, I feel sorry for people that feel so different or behave so different in a society where they are at best tolerated and worse criticized often and looked upon in disgust. I love the saying "God does not make junk" I have also observed very conservative families eventually accept and fully embrace their children that march out of step this way. My two cents FWIW
    This is the sort of sappy, feel good, phony compassion that helps no one. Do you tell paranoid schizophrenics that the voices are real?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread