User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hiking 10.07.2021

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 62,109x in 43,520 Posts
    Mentioned
    1880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hiking 10.07.2021

Let's call today misadventure.

Was up at 5 am, thought my allergy reactions had cleared, figured let's drive to the Leon Creek Greenway and see if I can find Devil's Den. But allergies not cleared, clumsy. With school started up early morning traffic is a pain, probably too 30 minutes to drive 15 miles to Ingram Park bus center and trailhead.

So here I start just as it's getting light, the bridge across a tributary of Culebra Creek.

And just the other side of the bridge, Deception Trail.

Deception Trail is a round-about way to Devil's Den so I take it. It's a bike trail but not used much. It's a nice and easy hiking trail most of the way.

It goes under the Ingram Road bridge over Culebra Creek and then circles back around and crosses the main greenway.

And back under the Ingram Road bridge.

And back at the bridge as expected.

And that's where things turned south, so to speak. Snagged a finger on a thorny bush, enough to get blood on my paper map. But worse, the trail disappeared. I turned left under the bridge and found and followed a trail that went off West across Culebra Creek and up a hill. Definitely the wrong way. So I backtracked to where I'd turned right and found a trail sign to the left, naturally. Up close it was hard to tell where the trail was.

This was looking back under the bridge to Culebra Creek where I'd wandered off track. But there wasn't much of a trail headed the other way I wanted to go so I decided to start there next time.

Headed back up the greenway and the sun was just coming up as I approached the bridge over the tributary.

Bambi almost let me touch him.

Here's the map I used, marked where I walked. X is whereabout Devil's Den is.

Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
    Louis Brandeis,Dissenting, Olmstead v. United States, 277 U.S. 438, 479 (1928)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (10-07-2021),donttread (10-24-2021),MMC (10-07-2021),RMNIXON (10-07-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 37,711x in 26,704 Posts
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Wife wanted to go walking the trails last Sunday. So she took me to Swallow Cliff Trails in Palos Park Il.

Then we got there and the torture was from the beginning.

Yep Up all those stairs just to get to the trails. I told her next time I will bring a wheelchair and she can take her time getting me up there.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (10-07-2021),Chris (10-07-2021),donttread (10-24-2021)

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 62,109x in 43,520 Posts
    Mentioned
    1880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No pain no gain!
    Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
    Louis Brandeis,Dissenting, Olmstead v. United States, 277 U.S. 438, 479 (1928)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MMC (10-07-2021)

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    bdtex's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 214x in 162 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent the better part of last Thursday, 10/7, hiking the South Mountain battlefield. The Appalachian Trail runs right through it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdtex For This Useful Post:

Chris (10-14-2021),MMC (10-15-2021)

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 1,541
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,163x in 11,819 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    My Wife wanted to go walking the trails last Sunday. So she took me to Swallow Cliff Trails in Palos Park Il.

Then we got there and the torture was from the beginning.

Yep Up all those stairs just to get to the trails. I told her next time I will bring a wheelchair and she can take her time getting me up there.
    That reminds me of the time years ago when my brother in law took us ( my sister, her friend and my wife and I ) x-country skiing to a "nice beginner trail". It was not as advertised and was intermediate at least. It started with a mile uphill. He and I went ahead at one point and circled back across the whole trail but no women? They had bailed finding a shortcut out and were pissed! My sister fell multiple times and they vowed to never ski with Paul again. Like a good brother in law I fueled the fire. LOL
    It remains a family joke to this day. But it was NOT considered funny by those women for some time.

+ Reply to Thread