Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,857x in 10,150 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Nope, it is not sociological. It is geographical.

Many Asians are whiter than Europeans but they are still Asians.
    There are dark skinned Asians that are darker than some Africans.

Race is determined by which region your ancestors came from. That is generally assumed by skin color.

You can use DNA to see what regions your ancestors came from but DNA tests are not used in society when talking about race, unless you claim to be Cherokee/Native American to get ahead in life and then get called on it.
    My wife $#@!es about all the "Cherokees" there are. She has the documents to prove hers but she says very little about it. For the most part, she just $#@!es about it to me. She has never seen it make a bit of difference in her life.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (10-14-2021)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,413x in 54,986 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    There has always been some genetic and cultural crossovers. Just calling people White would have been an insult in European cultures.

And yes, the great melting pot that was once America has devolved into race identity politics with all Whites dumped into a singular category of privileged oppressors.

...A little more than a century ago, in his essay The Souls of White Folk, the sociologist and social critic WEB Du Bois proposed what still ranks as one of the most penetrating and durable insights about the racial identity we call white: “The discovery of personal whiteness among the world’s peoples is a very modern thing – a nineteenth and twentieth century matter, indeed.”

...If you asked an Englishman in the early part of the 17th century what colour skin he had, he might very well have called it white. But the whiteness of his skin would have suggested no more suitable basis for a collective identity than the roundness of his nose or the baldness of his head. If you asked him to situate himself within the rapidly expanding borders of the known world, he would probably identify himself, first and most naturally, as an Englishman. If that category proved too narrow – if, say, he needed to describe what it was he had in common with the French and the Dutch that he did not share with Ottomans or Africans – he would almost certainly call himself a Christian instead....
    The invention of whiteness
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (10-14-2021)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,301
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever read papers or articles on the origins of any group of people on the planet, you will see the word haplotype used repeatedly. Read enough of these papers and you will know, without a doubt, there is no such thing as race. Every human being is a combination of groupings of alleles passed on over thousands upon thousands of years and they all indicate great migrations of people from one part of the world to another, no doubt for reasons of food shortage, environmental conditions or wars. The fact that people were often locked into regions of the planet during mini ice ages, accounts for the superficial appearance of race (phenotypes), but it is no different than what happens when we breed livestock or any other animal for specific physical characteristics - if you have a static population, they will eventually start to look like one another.

The real differences between the peoples of this planet are cultural. Even among Europeans, the only real similarity between northern Europeans and southern Europeans from the Mediterranean is Christianity, otherwise, people from the Mediterranean, whether from the European continent or not, are actually more culturally similar to one another. They are also more genetically similar. The people of Great Britain or the UK are really not culturally similar to northern Europeans, despite their genetic origins, due to thousands of years of isolation.

However, the only thing that maintains culture is isolation, so as the world shrinks due to technology and travel, cultures are changing, homogenizing. They are now celebrating Halloween i.e. Trick or Treat in Europe, something they picked up from N. America. American fast food restaurants are found all over the world. So is pizza. Music is another area of cultural fusion as are movies, videogames, comic books...
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-15-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    After the early part of the 17th Century, Englishmen began to have contact with non-Europeans. It was precisely then that the world began to rapidly expand for Englishmen and it was precisely then that the category of Whiteness began to emerge among Englishmen. Coincidence?

In any case, the Spanish settlers of New Spain and Peru were thinking in racial categories at least as early as the 16th Century but the term mestizo ("mixed") dates from the 13th Century. Mulatto dates from the late 16th as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Mister D; 10-14-2021 at 08:27 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-15-2021),Chris (10-14-2021)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    There has always been some genetic and cultural crossovers. Just calling people White would have been an insult in European cultures.

And yes, the great melting pot that was once America has devolved into race identity politics with all Whites dumped into a singular category of privileged oppressors.
    It wouldn't have been so much an insult as a meaningless identity in a white world.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-15-2021)

Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't mean anything to me.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,714
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,087x in 28,496 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    My wife $#@!es about all the "Cherokees" there are. She has the documents to prove hers but she says very little about it. For the most part, she just $#@!es about it to me. She has never seen it make a bit of difference in her life.
    That's usually how it works. Those that want a privilege by making a claim are usually not the real thing.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Now_What View Post
    @Chris

Race is not a biological classification, but rather a sociological one, which I think then leaves it open to some level of interpretation. Some of the most widely used race classifications list only 4-5 races worldwide, so "white" would cover a lot of groups of people - Europeans, Hispanics, Arabs, Jews, etc. That said, proposed to people around the world, I don't know that this many people would consider themselves to be white. It's a good question, and one that I can't say I truly know the answer to.

I think we seem to define race by outward color. The Russel Wilson's, Kap's, MaHommes of the world are considered black men. But they are really blends. I would note that at least IMO, mulatto women have a special kind of beauty .
    Maybe the carmel blending will eventually end the race tension.
    But humans will find something to hate one another over, count on that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Now_What (01-23-2022)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,714x in 16,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's ever been defined that way. There have been 4-5 defined races for some time.
    There are only two races. White/Black

I dont see an ALM movement (Asian Lives Matter)

It is blacks who have seperated from whites as opposed to the political sword of stating otherwise
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,473x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's ever been defined that way. There have been 4-5 defined races for some time.
    For a long time, Anthropologists used 3 racial classifications... Caucasoid, $#@!id, and Mongoloid.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

+ Reply to Thread