User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Life in the Hong Kong ‘gulag’, 15 months on.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJL View Post
    The predictions by many Western pundits of tyranny and repression under Hong Kong’s 2020 security laws have failed to materialise.

As of October 1, 15 months has passed since the enactment of the National Security Law (NSL) in Hong Kong. Back then the airwaves were filled with knee-jerk commentary from politicians in America, the UK, Europe, Australia and more condemning the enactment of the security laws, that were in reality no different from those in their own countries, and offering sanctuary for the hundreds of thousands if not millions of apparently terrified Hong Kongers.

As a number of politicians and media likened HK to a gulag, it is interesting to take a look, 15 months on, to see just what has happened.

Let’s start by looking at financial metrics:
    • The Hong Kong dollar remains stable at about 7.75 to the $US, right in line with its historical peg. There have been no signs of capital flight and Kyle Bass’s highly leveraged bet against the $HK, due to expire on December 31, looks like a loser. Hong Kong’s financial reserves remain extremely robust with a current balance of $US491 billion ($AUD664 billion). No sign here of massive outflows of capital.
    • Residential property prices, always an indicator of Hong Kong’s wellbeing, continue to hit all-time highs. Move on, nothing to see here.
    • The HK stockmarket remains firmly in the world’s top five, and sits in third place worldwide for IPOs in the first half of 2021. In spite of all the negatives the HK market remains a favoured choice for IPOs.

A disappointment for Mike Pompeo , Donald Trump , and millions of American right-swingers .

........https://johnmenadue.com/what-crackdo...r-mike-pompeo/
    15 months? At least they let you use their computer moral of the story is never say you despise the Kardashian trash in public or back to the "gulag" for you, Capone
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Admiral Ackbar (10-18-2021)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go again Utley !....I said no such thing , and you know it....(lol)....aside from that , get some manners , and stop asking juvenile questions with built-in pre-determined answers - they demean your profession , and you're not dealing with a dummy....(lol)
    OK Lets frame this differently! Do you support or are you a member of the Chinese Communist Party?
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral Ackbar For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (10-18-2021)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,493
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PJL's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 982x in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    OK Lets frame this differently! Do you support or are you a member of the Chinese Communist Party?
    Of course not - I'm Australian ! . I care not for Chinese politics , but I believe their internal politics are their own affair , to be determined and administered by them alone . I wouldn't care about America's internal politics either , if it wasn't for their constant interference and manipulation , on a global scale. You guy's need to try and become a country again , while the opportunity still exists .

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,040x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course not - I'm Australian ! . I care not for Chinese politics , but I believe their internal politics are their own affair , to be determined and administered by them alone . I wouldn't care about America's internal politics either , if it wasn't for their constant interference and manipulation , on a global scale. You guy's need to try and become a country again , while the opportunity still exists .
    That's untrue. You constant repost media from both government owned Chinese and Russian sources. You constantly tout support for communism and its ideals. Walk like a duck, talk like a duck....
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (10-18-2021),stjames1_53 (10-18-2021)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,493
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PJL's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 982x in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    That's untrue. You constant repost media from both government owned Chinese and Russian sources. You constantly tout support for communism and its ideals. Walk like a duck, talk like a duck....
    You're starting to bore me with this nonsense Utley . I post media from wherever I want .....and I believe that media is always better and more accurate when it's not owned by private vested interests , with agendas other than the interests of the country. There's no doubt that US media is the world's worst , and the country suffers because of it .
    Last edited by PJL; 10-18-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're starting to bore me with this nonsense Utley . I post media from wherever I want .....and I believe that media is always better and more accurate when it's not owned by private vested interests , with agendas other than the interests of the country. There's no doubt that US media is the world's worst , and the country suffers because of it .

So the Chinese Communist Party seeks to invade and conquer Taiwan. It occupies Tibet and East Turkestan. It bullies and intimidates its smaller neighbors in the South China Sea. It pushes into Indian and Nepali territory. Do you denounce that interference in the name of consistency? BTW the CCP has only its interests at stake not that of the nation.

So also to be clear you prefer state owned and controlled media. BTW the same "state" ie the CCP is the biggest murderer in history.. No agenda there.

I am going to guess no.

The Chairman smiles down on your efforts.
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    PaulyWalnuts's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 283x in 181 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Why do you hate freedom? Why do you support despotic regimes?
    All the Slopes hate freedom. My father was in Korea he told me that

+ Reply to Thread