Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 527x in 380 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJL View Post
    Would you like me to dumb it down so you can understand what it means ?
    Its already dumber than a rock. What is means is that the guy who wrote it is a imbecile.

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,515x in 16,039 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    I have been a Republican most of my life--that is to say--I used to be a Republican.

But people like John McCain, Lindsay Graham, Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney, Paul Ryan, Arlen Specter...I could go on...have simply run me out of the party. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm still very conservative. But it appears that conservative and Republican don't quite go hand-in-hand like it used to.

For example, Republicans used to be completely against socialized medicine (Obamacare, for example). Yet most--or, at least it seems like most--Republicans support some form of socialized medicine like prescription benefits, for example.

Republicans used to be against illegal immigration but now too many are willing to
    compromise on the issue.

Today it seems that the modern-day GOP will take you to the same place the Democrats are trying to lead the country buy only at a slower pace.

Now, in case your suspicious that I'm a Liberal plant, I can assure you I'm not. I could never be a Liberal. I've got brains and I'm not afraid to use 'em.

What I consider myself to be is a conservative Libertarian who believes desperately in limited government...just like Republicans used to.

So my question it, why are you a Republican or why do you remain a Republican?

No wrong answer and I don't mean to complain, I'm only curious.
    Because I love America
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

pjohns (10-23-2021),The Baron (10-22-2021)

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    The Baron's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15x in 10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torus34 View Post
    This has been an interesting thread for me to read. A secular humanist, I'm located somewhere outside [Note: that's outside, not above,] the groups of those who identify as liberal, conservative, Democrat and Republican. I've noted that none of the posts above include a statement about wishing to heal the divide in the United States of America and cure the existing ills through a co-operative effort with, well, 'them'.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

I see a desire " to heal the divide in the United States of America and cure the existing ills through a co-operative effort with, well, 'them'" as being problematic. And I don't mean that it's not a good idea that the factions in our country should come to some kind of understanding but problematic in the sense that I just can't see it happening.

The two sides are heading in diametrically opposite directions. One side stands for individualism while the other stands for collectivism and neither side can stand the other.

With nothing in common I don't see on what terms the two side can come to agreement.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Baron For This Useful Post:

pjohns (10-23-2021)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Torus34's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 198x in 179 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a desire " to heal the divide in the United States of America and cure the existing ills through a co-operative effort with, well, 'them'" as being problematic. And I don't mean that it's not a good idea that the factions in our country should come to some kind of understanding but problematic in the sense that I just can't see it happening.

The two sides are heading in diametrically opposite directions. One side stands for individualism while the other stands for collectivism and neither side can stand the other.

With nothing in common I don't see on what terms the two side can come to agreement.
    Hi, The Baron!

Thank you for your reply.

I've spent a lot of time in the past few years exploring the effect of the 'framing' of a question/issue/problem/crisis [Pick one or more or add your own.] It matters, often big time. You've presented a fine example. The red/blue divide in the US* can be framed as individualism vs. collectivism, and many do just that. Seen dispassionately, that's neither good nor bad in itself, no more than liberal/conservative or Democrat/Republican. It's also possible to view a question, etc., in terms of how it can be addressed so as to improve the overall ability of American citizens to thrive. That, in particular, just may lead to people getting into the weeds and understanding a bit more about our society and how it actually functions at the daily life level. It's educational as opposed to vituperative. [Ed.: Torus has also framed this as a dichotomy, nu? Round and round we go.]

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

* Ever note the happy relationship between US [United States] and us -- we, the people?
    Last edited by Torus34; 10-23-2021 at 05:47 AM.
    "And gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche." Chaucer, the Canterbury Tales.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Torus34 For This Useful Post:

The Baron (10-23-2021)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,493
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PJL's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 982x in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The condemnation , from both sides , is media driven . They choose the headlines and set the narrative.....for both sides. They can create a new crisis , in the space of a few news cycles if they choose ......they've done it .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PJL For This Useful Post:

The Baron (10-23-2021)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Great_American View Post
    Is that code for living under a bridge?

You're a sniveling whining $#@!.
    Wow, what a response. You had no argument when I stated the facts about what we do here. You didn't respond because you're too dull to find any facts to disprove what I said.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Republicans are absolutely useless, but they aren't the ones currently trying to destroy the country at the moment, so I begrudgingly support them.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocial5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Great_American's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 527x in 380 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Republicans are absolutely useless, but they aren't the ones currently trying to destroy the country at the moment, so I begrudgingly support them.
    They are the only viable game in town. If I could think of a truly conservative country I would move there.

I will get attacked for this, but amazingly, Arab Muslim countries are very conservative. I could live happily in one of them except for one little problem: Them forcing me to observe Muslim stuff. If a place like Iran actually had true religious freedom like we do here, it would be great. No homos and trannies destroying schools, no dopeheads peeing on the streets, no woke bullsh*t, think about it, seriously . . .

. . . but, I like my religion just fine and I would not want them messing with that, so thats a deal breaker.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,230x in 2,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are the only viable game in town. If I could think of a truly conservative country I would move there.

I will get attacked for this, but amazingly, Arab Muslim countries are very conservative. I could live happily in one of them except for one little problem: Them forcing me to observe Muslim stuff. If a place like Iran actually had true religious freedom like we do here, it would be great. No homos and trannies destroying schools, no dopeheads peeing on the streets, no woke bullsh*t, think about it, seriously . . .

. . . but, I like my religion just fine and I would not want them messing with that, so thats a deal breaker.
    I just heard that the Iranians recently beheaded a woman for being ...well, just too "educated."

One would certainly hope that you would consider this, also, to be a "deal breaker."

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a conservative.

I register with Republicans because they are more likely to govern as I would like than Democrats, but I call myself a conservative.

Most people do not know the true meaning of "conservative" in America.
    "Conservatives" in politics are against change. They like to hold to what they consider "traditional values"; of course what those are exactly varies but it's primarily The Protestant Christian Church, the nuclear family: man, woman, kids, non union labor, a belief in business over community welfare, the strict father image, the weak mother image, corporal punishment, American cars only, and the cold war.

YOU and your friends are NOT conservatives; you are far right-wing fanatics that hate any religion other than Protestant Christian, you are militant and militaristic, you (the far right) are violent, racist conspiracy nuts who think that only YOU know what American is, what it stands for and what our founding documents say. YOU in the far right come so much closer to fascism than you would like to believe. YOU in the far right have usurped the word "conservative" and supplanted your own violent and militaristic ideology and you cater to, endorse and support white supremacy nationalism: "State" over country.

You are nowhere nowhere conservative.

+ Reply to Thread