Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,555x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Sounds like iphone is decided. Most of my family has iphone and likes it.
    Common is an old man. Elderly. He doesn't want to learn a new OS.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

bdtex (11-22-2021),Chris (11-19-2021),Common (11-19-2021)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,484x in 15,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refuse to own an Apple product. My all time favorite phone was my Motorola StarTAC. The phone I carry today has more computing power than Apollo 11. Nobody needs that nonsense. That is why the lives of so many people today revolve around their telephone. That is just pathetic.

A phone should make and receive calls and maybe have a contact list in it. Everything else is superfluous. Generations from now, historians, if there are any left, will trace the destruction of civilization to our addiction to our phones.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (11-19-2021),Common (11-19-2021)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,555x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I refuse to own an Apple product. My all time favorite phone was my Motorola StarTAC. The phone I carry today has more computing power than Apollo 11. Nobody needs that nonsense. That is why the lives of so many people today revolve around their telephone. That is just pathetic.

A phone should make and receive calls and maybe have a contact list in it. Everything else is superfluous. Generations from now, historians, if there are any left, will trace the destruction of civilization to our addiction to our phones.
    I only use a few apps. The compass app is useful when in cities on foot, especially ones not laid out in a grid pattern.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,554
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,149x in 28,537 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iPhone or Android is an old battle just like Microsoft vs Apple.

iPhone tells you what to do and you have no options.
    Android gives you options.

Personally I like just plugging my phone into my USB and having pull access to all my file. I don't have to sync, go through iTunes, change file formats or do anything else. But I also only use my phone for email, messaging, music, the camera and as a phone. The only reason I even upgraded last time was because my battery was dying.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

bdtex (11-22-2021),Common (11-19-2021),Peter1469 (11-20-2021)

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,213
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,345x in 3,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both iPhone and Android and I much prefer, and love, my Samsung. When I switched to Samsung, Apple would not allow me to transfer any of my data over. Luckily Samsung have an app that allows you to bypass Apple and claim your own data. It's my phone and my data and Apple have no right to claim and imprison it as their own.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (11-20-2021),Common (11-19-2021),Peter1469 (11-19-2021),pjohns (11-22-2021)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Common is an old man. Elderly. He doesn't want to learn a new OS.
    lol THANKS PETEY I still love ya though buddy lol...but your right I dont want to learn a new one even if it is better how much better can it be and what we use the phones for wont matter
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-20-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to give everyone a headsup, something I was told today, is it true, I think alot of it makes sense

Verizon leases its towers and hotspots to alot of different carriers, the lease their towers to spectrum and walmarts verizon pay monthly...they also lease to tmobile and att&T in areas where they do not have towers operating...heres the point the store manager made...Keep in mind he didnt have to sell us anything, the plan was cheaper than what I was already paying and the new phones were free...I had already decided to switch

He said you need to take into consideration that Verizon owns the most towers and they lease all or some to most every carrier out there. In all leases and agreements its made clear in a contract that verizon has the right to shut them out of any or all towers as needed for their own business...temporarily of course.

He said the last time you lost power in a storm did you lose cell service, I said yes was your carrier spectrum I said yup he said verizon shut them down to assure their customers maintained service...he said they shut down everyone and those that lease towers in certain areas here...this was for florida but they do it across the country...like the wildfires in california.

It made sense to a degree...if thats true for those that need service for business like Dave and Pete and others..its a consideration I would assume...again if its the truth
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-20-2021),pjohns (11-22-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

I absolutely agree, I text and recieve texts and make some calls...my wife mostly is on facebook with all our family sending pictures and recieving them and rarely makes a cell call...she calls the kids on the home phone. When we go out she never brings her phone she relies on mine

I do use android auto as a gps it comes up on my screen with voice just like a built in GPS but its better, I dont have to pay 150 buciks to update it yearly google updates daily...but even the cheaper phones have android auto and apple car play. For example if were down in costco 60 miles away the first few times we were there, I just popped in the android and asked for all restaurants within 3 miles a bunch came up we chose and the directions led us right to the door

If youre the type of person that gets lost easily you can plug in android or apple play and say Home, and it gives you step by step directions in voice to your door....some things are very useful but you still dont need 16 1800 cell phones thats absurd a `1,000 is absurd but if they give it to me free, ill take it.

I agree that all the bells and whistles are nonesense unless youre a millenial that was born with a cellphone in thier ass and believe they cant have a life without a phone.

Ironically for us the cheaper phones are either not available on the promotion or come out to be more than the better phones....

I fully agree with you Cletus.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-20-2021)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I absolutely agree, I text and recieve texts and make some calls...my wife mostly is on facebook with all our family sending pictures and recieving them and rarely makes a cell call...she calls the kids on the home phone. When we go out she never brings her phone she relies on mine

I do use android auto as a gps it comes up on my screen with voice just like a built in GPS but its better, I dont have to pay 150 buciks to update it yearly google updates daily...but even the cheaper phones have android auto and apple car play. For example if were down in costco 60 miles away the first few times we were there, I just popped in the android and asked for all restaurants within 3 miles a bunch came up we chose and the directions led us right to the door

If youre the type of person that gets lost easily you can plug in android or apple play and say Home, and it gives you step by step directions in voice to your door....some things are very useful but you still dont need 16 1800 cell phones thats absurd a `1,000 is absurd but if they give it to me free, ill take it.

I agree that all the bells and whistles are nonesense unless youre a millenial that was born with a cellphone in thier ass and believe they cant have a life without a phone.

Ironically for us the cheaper phones are either not available on the promotion or come out to be more than the better phones....

I fully agree with you Cletus.
    If your wife only uses her phone for FB etc, why don't you just get her a small tablet - they're bigger than phones and easier on the eyes. Then it won't matter what phones you buy.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (11-20-2021),Peter1469 (11-20-2021),Red Lily (11-20-2021)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,554
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,149x in 28,537 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I want to give everyone a headsup, something I was told today, is it true, I think alot of it makes sense

Verizon leases its towers and hotspots to alot of different carriers, the lease their towers to spectrum and walmarts verizon pay monthly...they also lease to tmobile and att&T in areas where they do not have towers operating...heres the point the store manager made...Keep in mind he didnt have to sell us anything, the plan was cheaper than what I was already paying and the new phones were free...I had already decided to switch

He said you need to take into consideration that Verizon owns the most towers and they lease all or some to most every carrier out there. In all leases and agreements its made clear in a contract that verizon has the right to shut them out of any or all towers as needed for their own business...temporarily of course.

He said the last time you lost power in a storm did you lose cell service, I said yes was your carrier spectrum I said yup he said verizon shut them down to assure their customers maintained service...he said they shut down everyone and those that lease towers in certain areas here...this was for florida but they do it across the country...like the wildfires in california.

It made sense to a degree...if thats true for those that need service for business like Dave and Pete and others..its a consideration I would assume...again if its the truth
    Exactly right. If I did not need my phone for business then Verizon would be history. However, they have actually lowered my plan cost, which I assume was to prevent me from switching.
    I am assuming they will probably try to increase it again sighting 5G, saying it is an added value, but I have no need for 5G.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-20-2021)

+ Reply to Thread