Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,995x in 18,678 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how this kid could have posed a threat to the neighbor.

The kid was across the street and, was trying to run away, when shot in the back.

The neighbor should have stayed in his house and called 911.

This guy is trying to get himself out of a lot of trouble.

Trouble is, he pursued the kid and, shot him in the back, that isn't self defense.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Armed Wisconsin father, daughter say they're protecting Rittenhouse protesters

So these two should be charged with vigilantism, right?
    If they shoot someone, although use of force in defense of people doesn't have the quite the same limitations as defense of property. However, seeing weapons appearing on the other side of the equation was a predictable reaction to all of the hyperbole about the supposed citizens' rights to secure their neighborhoods.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,532
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,995x in 18,678 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpublius View Post
    That's right, TO YOURSELF. I point the gun at him because I feared what he would do TO ME since I am a witness to his felony. After all he's breaking into a car, he must be hard up for cash, needs to get some $ to get fixed for his drug habit, he's desperate to get high, me stumbling on him makes me think he might get desperate. So, therefore, stumbling onto this person committing a crime gave rise to an apprehension of danger TO MYSELF. Now, let's say he texted his girlfriend saying he's a really nice guy and wouldn't hurt anybody no matter what. Ok, could be true, right? But he didn't send me a memo ahead of time and I have two kids inside and I'm the only thing standing between a criminal and my sleeping children. So, you know, there's that, right?

Yes, you can brandish the weapon.

He pulls a gun, well, he voted.

But actually look at that in reverse, say you pull the gun and now the criminal pulls the gun in 'self-defense' -- good self defense claim? No, usually a criminal is exempt from making a self defense claim while committing a crime.

In this case? The neighbor should have stayed in his house and called 911......the kid wasn't a threat to him, he was across the street.

You dont take your gun and go across the street......you were out of harm's way, in your house.

It's kind of hard to claim self defense, when you shoot someone in the back as they're trying to run away.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Chuck's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 858x in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    It's kind of hard to claim self defense, when you shoot someone in the back as they're trying to run away.
    I can think of situations where that is not the case, but in general with strangers it would hold in most cases.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    A Florida man is facing criminal charges for shooting a suspected teen burglar in the back as he tried to flee, authorities said.

Chad Edward Locke, 51, called 911 after shooting the 16-year-old suspect he saw burglarizing a neighbor’s car outside his Gainesville home at about 2 a.m. Monday, according to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.

Locke told investigators he was “watching television and monitoring his exterior surveillance cameras” when he spotted someone burglarizing his neighbor’s car across the street, according to an arrest report obtained by The Post.

[...]

Locke, who was charged with aggravated battery with a firearm, told investigators he only saw a flashlight in the teen’s hands — and not a weapon. He decided to shoot the suspected burglar due to “fear” that the teen would come at him, according to the report.

Florida man charged for shooting suspected teen burglar in back (nypost.com)

Questions for the forum:

Is it legal in Florida (or anywhere) to use deadly force in respect of preventing a theft or destruction of property?

Is it legal in Florida to defend a third person's property if does not belong to a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect?

Does Locke have a legitimate claim of self-defense?

Hint: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (state.fl.us)

Elderly people can justifiably have a fear of being assaulted and killed by younger people whether they are armed or not, and in some cases where gang reprisals are common that is also a legitimate fear.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Elderly people can justifiably have a fear of being assaulted and killed by younger people whether they are armed or not, and in some cases where gang reprisals are common that is also a legitimate fear.
    That may be true, but Locke was not elderly at 51-years-old.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If they shoot someone, although use of force in defense of people doesn't have the quite the same limitations as defense of property. However, seeing weapons appearing on the other side of the equation was a predictable reaction to all of the hyperbole about the supposed citizens' rights to secure their neighborhoods.
    As was your answer predictable.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That may be true, but Locke was not elderly at 51-years-old.
    Depends on his health, along with whether or not he and his neighbors have been repeatedly targeted with no effective help from police and other factors. Criminals are responsible for their own injuries and deaths while committing crimes.

+ Reply to Thread