Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    I suspect the intention here is to insult Catholics and the University. If the artist is in fact a student I bet they don't want to be there.

And if you object of course your a racist!
    I disagree if they didnt want it there, it wouldnt be
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The University had to make the decision to hang it, to begin with.

Perhaps not so much "the University," as someone "within" the University. A VP? A faculty member? Someone who felt as though they needed to appease someone?

In fact, it appears the original is already gone and a small copy was put in its place.
    (RNS) — A painting of Jesus and his mother, Mary, in which Jesus is seen by many to be painted in the likeness of George Floyd in response to his agonizing death, was stolen from Catholic University of America Columbus Law School this week after a spate of conservative media attention and death threats directed at the artist.
    That link leads me to believe that the Jesus in the painting might not have been an intentional depiction of George Floyd. If that's the case, no harm, no foul. It's the idea of depicting a criminal as the founder of one's religion that sets its followers off. It would be akin to a painting showing Mary cradling one of the thieves who were crucified next to Jesus rather than Jesus. Or Herod. Actually, there is some scriptural backing that might apply--as long as the idea wasn't to depict the man (if we're talking about George Floyd) as Jesus.

And they are set off. An online petition started by a student to remove the painting now has 4,175 signatures. So, even the small copy will soon be gone, I'm guessing. But, let's keep it in perspective, they're not raiding newspaper offices and cutting off heads. But, the artist has received death threats, and that's unacceptable.

The artist, a St. Louis woman, actually paints iconography, and some is quite good, as you can see here. That specific painting, titled "Mama," was originally placed in an Episcopal Church so I'm not sure why they moved it--likely some of the issues that are happening at the University.

At the end of the day, it all really depends on the artist's intent and the intent of those who agreed to hang it.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Perhaps not so much "the University," as someone "within" the University. A VP? A faculty member? Someone who felt as though they needed to appease someone?

In fact, it appears the original is already gone and a small copy was put in its place.

That link leads me to believe that the Jesus in the painting might not have been an intentional depiction of George Floyd. If that's the case, no harm, no foul. It's the idea of depicting a criminal as the founder of one's religion that sets its followers off. It would be akin to a painting showing Mary cradling one of the thieves who were crucified next to Jesus rather than Jesus. Or Herod. Actually, there is some scriptural backing that might apply--as long as the idea wasn't to depict the man (if we're talking about George Floyd) as Jesus.

And they are set off. An online petition started by a student to remove the painting now has 4,175 signatures. So, even the small copy will soon be gone, I'm guessing. But, let's keep it in perspective, they're not raiding newspaper offices and cutting off heads. But, the artist has received death threats, and that's unacceptable.

The artist, a St. Louis woman, actually paints iconography, and some is quite good, as you can see here. That specific painting, titled "Mama," was originally placed in an Episcopal Church so I'm not sure why they moved it--likely some of the issues that are happening at the University.

At the end of the day, it all really depends on the artist's intent and the intent of those who agreed to hang it.
    Kelly Latimer is not an old school iconographer. His work is influenced by his politics. It doesn't bother me, but he has many critics.
    Kelly Latimore: Iconographer of a New Imago Dei - The Episcopal New Yorker
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Kelly Latimer is not an old school iconographer. His work is influenced by his politics. It doesn't bother me, but he has many critics.
    Kelly Latimore: Iconographer of a New Imago Dei - The Episcopal New Yorker

Interesting, and here I was thinking the artist was female.

Yes, there's a definite political bent. I like some of his stuff, but he is controversial.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (11-29-2021)

+ Reply to Thread