Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I always wondered how these people get compensated. Farmers that lose their fields to archeology teams and maybe their homes. Construction sites that halt multi-million dollar projects...

Are they left wishing they just kept their mouth shut, rewarded or just compensated and have to give up their assets.
    Interesting question, im guessing universities who fund archeology groups and museums Id think would vie over who had the rights to extract the find and I would think there would be some bidding going on...but I dont know that for sure, thats speculation
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in the US, most people don't actually 'own the land' below the grass line in their yard. It's called mineral rights. I quick google brought this.
    If I found a gold ore under my land, could I take it as my own property and exploit it? - Quora

It would likely apply to historical finds also. Maybe part of eminent domain theft?
    Mineral right ownership is by state...and many of them only have mineral rights for certain areas...not for homeowners..
    I do know West Virginia has mineral rights and when you buy a house you dont own the minerals and you have to ask permission to the other owner to dig or make changes to your property..THAT SUCKS
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,040
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,267x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Mineral right ownership is by state...and many of them only have mineral rights for certain areas...not for homeowners..
    I do know West Virginia has mineral rights and when you buy a house you dont own the minerals and you have to ask permission to the other owner to dig or make changes to your property..THAT SUCKS
    I made sure I filed mineral Rights here.
    My neighbor can go to hell if he doesn't like it. His family was pissed when I tore the old barn down. It was beyond repair and no insurance would touch it.
    I dropped the barn.... they dropped my property tax. Traded the lion's share of the barn to a collector for a new 200ft gravel driveway.
    I figure what he really wanted was three 16"x16" 45ft beams. I made sure he took everything that was attached to those beams. Everything.
    They had nothing to say about it.
    I can put a pond in and collect the runoff and shut him off..... Can't say a word (He depends on my runoff to keep his pond filled)
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    I made sure I filed mineral Rights here.
    My neighbor can go to hell if he doesn't like it. His family was pissed when I tore the old barn down. It was beyond repair and no insurance would touch it.
    I dropped the barn.... they dropped my property tax. Traded the lion's share of the barn to a collector for a new 200ft gravel driveway.
    I figure what he really wanted was three 16"x16" 45ft beams. I made sure he took everything that was attached to those beams. Everything.
    They had nothing to say about it.
    I can put a pond in and collect the runoff and shut him off..... Can't say a word (He depends on my runoff to keep his pond filled)
    Careful there, the EPA can redefine your pond 'moving waters' or some such and sue you for preventing proper perculation, along with disturbing the breeding grounds of the whatusi fly.

I believe we would have to apply to the Bureau of Land Management for the 'right' to purchase what we already purchased. At least we can renovate the land (to a degree) but have to be approved by the TVA for moving 'soil' (shale) below the 1007 (water) line and the 'soil' must remain on the physical property. We desperately need to put in a retaining wall because we are loosing ground to erosion.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

+ Reply to Thread