User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is with Chick-Fil-A's popularity?

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,266x in 12,389 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I have to say that I am more likely to run into a grocery store at lunch by myself than I am to stop at fast food places. I have thrown too much fast food back in the bag and crumpled it up. I can be back out the grocery store/self scan, as fast as I can wait in the drive-thru and the have clean restrooms.
    Every once in a while for the past couple of months, when I was out shopping or going to the post office, I have stopped at various places that I used to frequent - In-n'-out, Wendy's, Jack-in-the-Box, Taco Bell and so on - but only once at each place. I'll have a sandwich or some tacos, whatever my preferred order used to be, and realize - that really wasn't very good. I could have had a better lunch at home and saved some money. I think I'm to the point where I'm almost completely past fast food. I haven't been to White Castle lately, mostly because it's sort of on the other side of town, but I imagine I'll be hitting them one day soon, and probably coming to the same conclusion. I think about what Jim Gaffigan said about Hot Pockets. He said, "I've never eaten a Hot Pocket and then thought, 'I'm glad I ate that'." I find that less and less these days am I glad I ate fast food in general.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-04-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In-N-Out is all about the fries. Freshly cut right above the fryer and they cooked nice and crispy. ...
    Funny, the fries are what I like least about In-N-Out. If I was really jonesing for some French fries I would go to McDonald's. Most of McD's food is sub-par at best, but those fries are really good.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Jeb! (12-05-2021)

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Medina just got a chick-fil-a. It opened yesterday. I heard the line was around the block and it had the main drag tied up for hours. I heard they lined up the night before 'to be first'.

Why? I've been there a few times over the years and thought it was ok. Nothing special.

Attachment 44712
    Same here. Just had a place open a few months ago. Cops showed up to direct traffic.
    Took the wife in after things settled down.

meh...

Popeye's and Burger King make one much better.
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (12-04-2021)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,554
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,149x in 28,537 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    When Krispy Kreme donuts hit Phoenix twelve years ago, people who'd moved here from places where they were sold went into a state of sustained rapture. "Oh, they're the best donuts in the world!" And lines were incredibly long for a few weeks and then most folks began to realize that the hype was just that - hype. There are much better donuts to be had all over the city.

Much the same thing happened when the first In-N-Out Burger opened in Arizona in 2007. We were told that it was a really good hamburger, and not just by Donnie in The Big Lebowski. They're still busy at the location near my home, but I think it has more to do with the fact that their food is much cheaper than at most fast-food burger places, and the friendliness and courtesy of their almost frighteningly pleasant young employees, more than with how good the burgers are.

A few years ago White Castle announced that they'd be opening a franchise here the following year and I have to admit that I went a little nuts, not having had a White Castle - except for the frozen ones, which suck - in many years. For weeks after they opened you couldn't get near the place. I waited a month or so and then went - foolish me, at lunch time on a Saturday - and waited in line for two and a half hours for my "crave case". (Don't ask.) Of course I'd eaten half a dozen before I got out of the parking lot. The crowd was very esoteric demographically: obvious yuppies, old people, large Mexican families, at least one motorcycle club. The place is still busy, but nothing like in the beginning. I believe a lot of transplants from elsewhere - as most Phoenicians are - have gotten their White Castle fix, satisfied themselves that it's not going away anytime soon and will be there when they need another, and they don't feel the need to go every week, as many of us had sworn that we would.

As for Chick-Fil-A, yeah, I agree with those who've suggested that with some folks it's probably at least partially a sociopolitical statement to pass up other chicken places to go there. Not to say that some people don't genuinely like their product better than others - I'm sure that's true, too. I've only eaten at a Chick-Fil-A twice. The first time I had a sandwich, which was just average, and the second time I tried the "nuggets", which I thought were actually pretty awful.
    Kripsy Kreme is another one. I would get on a plane on Monday morning and there would be boxes of Krispy Kreme in the overhead bins. People did not have them in their home area and would take them boxes back with them.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,644x in 25,175 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too far from my office is the oldest continually operating Krispy Kreme in the country. Open 24 hours. There's a donut in the name on the sign that if it is lit up you get a free glazed donut. They literally pull it off of the line and hand it to you.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

countryboy (12-04-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kripsy Kreme is another one. I would get on a plane on Monday morning and there would be boxes of Krispy Kreme in the overhead bins. People did not have them in their home area and would take them boxes back with them.
    I've read about military units that were deployed overseas whose C.O.s would have a pallet or two of White Castles airlifted in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (12-05-2021)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 587
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,833x in 13,710 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I've read about military units that were deployed overseas whose C.O.s would have a pallet or two of White Castles airlifted in.
    My knee jerk reaction was, "gee, what a frivolous use of taxpayer money", but then I thought a little harder. If it brings some joy and comfort to the men and women serving overseas, hell yeah, airlift those hamburgs in. It's the least we can do.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

13. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-04-2021)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 701
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,342x in 18,869 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In-N-Out is all about the fries. Freshly cut right above the fryer and they cooked nice and crispy.
    The exposed kitchen let's you know that nothing is sitting under the heat lamp with some creepy looking kid tampering with it.

McDonald's used to do their fries that way, I remember when they first opened in my town, you could watch them hand cutting the potatoes (well, putting them through the french fry cutter) but, they were freshly made.

That all changed, when they got too big, that's when they started getting the fries delivered frozen, in large bags.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    McDonald's used to do their fries that way, I remember when they first opened in my town, you could watch them hand cutting the potatoes (well, putting them through the french fry cutter) but, they were freshly made.

That all changed, when they got too big, that's when they started getting the fries delivered frozen, in large bags.
    When they stopped using beef tallow things went downhill.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-04-2021)

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Booman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 31,235x in 18,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love their food. It's always consistent. It also doesn't hurt that the one by me has a playground so the dining room is filled with young moms and everyone behind the counter are for some reason Eastern European college girls.

RIP Uncle Bosey
    A great first officer but an even better second course.

+ Reply to Thread