User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The web is a community of communities that often don’t overlap, not one.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,032x in 24,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow The web is a community of communities that often don’t overlap, not one.

Instead of one big community, the web is a community of communities that often don’t overlap..

https _bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_4edf8bf2-e.jpeg

“The internet is a big newspaper that everyone reads.” When I worked at Advertising Age, an ad industry trade publication, we’d use that line whenever a source didn’t want to share news with us. We were a small, narrowly-focused magazine, yes. But once we broke a story, it would travel around the web. So why not get an in-depth, thoughtful article from us and let it rip? The line worked often, and likely because the internet was indeed kinda flat when we used it in the early 2010s. Paywalls were rare. The “content” boom was just underway. And though concerns of “filter bubbles” percolated, social media algorithms were either rudimentary or still on the roadmap. So news from any single entity could travel just about everywhere.

Today, however, we’ve moved into a siloed web — and the line no longer applies. Information on one part of the internet is likely to stay there, and only a tiny percent of stories break through. Rather than one big community, the web is a community of communities. And often, they don’t overlap at all.

The siloed internet is, in part, a product of paywalls. Nearly every website was once available to everyone for free. But after struggling through a transition to the web, news publishers started charging for access to their sites. One by one, papers like the Washington Post, magazines like The Atlantic, and large sites like Business Insider asked people to pay. And readers dutifully obliged.

https _bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_bf90e9fa-b.jpeg

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

https://bigtechnology.substack.com/p...tm_source=digg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    News has always been siloed, papers tend to their readers. International news or even US news is still open to everyone. But opinion and bias have distorted news on the web worse than the daily paperboy run ever did. The web politized and divided, as dark money and special interests realized they could control opinion and policy. Readers did not dutifully oblige but if you want to read a really good paper such as the NYT you have to pay just as I paid the local vendor on my way to work.

The one negative thing the web has created is distortion and propaganda, hate and places for bigotry to fester and grow. Right wing sites ban me often as you must play the game their way, they are a community of hate and there are lots of them today. Anna Merlan covers them well.

Books and the library can set you free if you leave the web and read read read.

'Republic of Lies: American Conspiracy Theorists and Their Surprising Rise to Power' by Anna Merlan

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking." Jerry Seinfeld
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

3. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (12-06-2021)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,929
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,642x in 28,237 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a society supplied by two news services, now a single large US book publisher with Random House and Simon & Schuster's merger and Hollywood run news; I am happy to say that the internet is the only way to challenge the information system.

You have to be careful what you read on the Internet, but at least it gives people the right to think for themselves.

But calling the NYTimes a good paper is laughable. They admit their opinion bias and their news clearly reflects their bias.

Watching and reading now looks like a search for truths surrounded by misinformation. And that does include FOX news. It is not just the left.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

+ Reply to Thread