Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,345x in 3,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    While I support the right of transexual individuals to do many things in life and society, participation in sports competitions at any level - at least in the case of male-to-female trans folks - is not one of those things. It makes absolutely no sense, and allowing it only exacerbates animosity toward trans individuals.

Here's the thing, though - and I believe that herein lies the answer to why many otherwise sensible people feel that they have to support letting it happen. Reading the rhetoric of many who oppose it, it's clear that their opposition to and hatred of transexuals is in no way limited to those who want to participate in women's sports; it is directed at all trans people, in every situation. (Reference the OP: ..."This tranny creature...") Given the choice between aligning myself with those who advocate for and support the rights of trans people, even if it has to include things like this, and appearing to be joining the ranks of people who hate and insult indiscriminately, I will have to choose the lesser of the two evils.

In other words, if those who support the legislation in question and oppose genetic men participating in women's sports would tone down the insulting language and mute the attitude a bit, more liberals would be willing to openly join them in their opposition.
    I advocate for the rights of all people to live as, and be, whomever or whatever they choose to be so long as they don't expect to be put on a pedestal and force us all to celebrate their 'differences' whilst demanding all their whims be met.

To each his own. Live and be who you want so long as you do no harm to others. But that's not what this is.

Most liberals will try to screech you down as transphobic and intolerant if you oppose biological men competing against women and that's the sort of rhetoric that ultimately ends up breeding contempt and retaliation with words like "thing." It's not transphobic (is that not insulting language that should be muted?) to oppose this, it's moral common sense.

It should never be an "I'll act this way, but only if you act that way" scenario. This whole trans in women's sport thing is all kinds of WRONG and it's harming women athletes in a great many ways so if you do actually oppose it you should be voicing that on principle regardless of what others say.

If you truly believe it's wrong you should be saying it's wrong don't you think? If more people did that we wouldn't be in this growing situation and on the slippery slope we are now on whereby women's sport could be lost forever if people don't speak out.
    Last edited by Red Lily; 12-14-2021 at 06:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

Cletus (12-14-2021),Skull (12-14-2021)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,265x in 12,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lily View Post
    I advocate for the rights of all people to live as, and be, whomever or whatever they choose to be so long as they don't expect to be put on a pedestal and force us all to celebrate their 'differences' whilst demanding all their whims be met.

To each his own. Live and be who you want so long as you do no harm to others. But that's not what this is.

Most liberals will try to screech you down as transphobic and intolerant if you oppose biological men competing against women and that's the sort of rhetoric that ultimately ends up breeding contempt and retaliation with words like "thing." It's not transphobic (is that not insulting language that should be muted?) to oppose this, it's moral common sense.

It should never be an "I'll act this way, but only if you act that way" scenario. This whole trans in women's sport thing is all kinds of WRONG and it's harming women athletes in a great many ways so if you do actually oppose it you should be voicing that on principle regardless of what others say.

If you truly believe it's wrong you should be saying it's wrong don't you think? If more people did that we wouldn't be in this growing situation and on the slippery slope we are now on whereby women's sport could be lost forever if people don't speak out.
    Have any liberal members of this forum supported the idea? I can't think of one...can you?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken a similar line throughout this controversy - that the women involved should simply refuse to compete. However it just occurred to me that many female college athletes are attending college on athletic scholarships. Not quite as many scholarships for female athletes exist as for men, but the numbers are surprisingly (to me, at least) close. Refuse to compete and lose your scholarship and your university education. More reason that a resort to the law is probably necessary.
    That is like telling the candle factory workers while a tornado was heading their way, that if they leave they will be fired. It's called making a stand, you don't worry about them trying to make you fear loosing a job or scholarship. You do what is right and refuse to listen to these morons.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,483x in 15,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I support the right of transexual individuals to do many things in life and society, participation in sports competitions at any level - at least in the case of male-to-female trans folks - is not one of those things. It makes absolutely no sense, and allowing it only exacerbates animosity toward trans individuals.

Here's the thing, though - and I believe that herein lies the answer to why many otherwise sensible people feel that they have to support letting it happen. Reading the rhetoric of many who oppose it, it's clear that their opposition to and hatred of transexuals is in no way limited to those who want to participate in women's sports; it is directed at all trans people, in every situation. (Reference the OP: ..."This tranny creature...") Given the choice between aligning myself with those who advocate for and support the rights of trans people, even if it has to include things like this, and appearing to be joining the ranks of people who hate and insult indiscriminately, I will have to choose the lesser of the two evils.

In other words, if those who support the legislation in question and oppose genetic men participating in women's sports would tone down the insulting language and mute the attitude a bit, more liberals would be willing to openly join them in their opposition.

Why would opposition to transgenders in general cause someone to align themselves in such a way as to not oppose what is going on in women's sports? That makes no sense to me. It seems to me those and should be two separate and distinct issues.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,583x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Why would opposition to transgenders in general cause someone to align themselves in such a way as to not oppose what is going on in women's sports? That makes no sense to me. It seems to me those and should be two separate and distinct issues.
    Apparently, Standing Wolf believes such animosity developed in a vacuum rather than from the unreasonable demands of this "community" for recognition and acceptance. They found allies in most of our progressive members who are now dismayed by the logical consequences of playing make believe.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MMC (12-15-2021),Peter1469 (12-15-2021),Skull (12-14-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not really sure what you're asking here. I can only speak for myself and say that while I support certain legal steps to make for equitable treatment of transgender individuals, allowing them to participate in sports events in competition with biological women is not one of the things I support.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    That is like telling the candle factory workers while a tornado was heading their way, that if they leave they will be fired. It's called making a stand, you don't worry about them trying to make you fear loosing a job or scholarship. You do what is right and refuse to listen to these morons.
    It's easy to "take the high road" and act on principle when it isn't your scholarship, your university education, on the line.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,483x in 15,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really sure what you're asking here. I can only speak for myself and say that while I support certain legal steps to make for equitable treatment of transgender individuals, allowing them to participate in sports events in competition with biological women is not one of the things I support.

That is not what I was talking about. I was talking about the idea that it is kind of all or nothing. There are going to be as many different views on transgenders as there are people to have views. I don't see why it would be necessary to be in total agreement with any of them.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is not what I was talking about. I was talking about the idea that it is kind of all or nothing. There are going to be as many different views on transgenders as there are people to have views. I don't see why it would be necessary to be in total agreement with any of them.
    I'm in complete agreement with that sentiment, and I believe that it applies to more topics of controversy than just the one under discussion here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Cletus (12-15-2021)

+ Reply to Thread