User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chromebook and Chrome OS

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Chromebook and Chrome OS

My new notebook, a Chromebook running Chrome OS came it. So far I love it.

I spend most of my time browsing the Interweb and that's its focus. All the browser extensions I used can be run as separate apps now outside the browser.

It took a couple of hours to figure it all out. So it is simple to use.

I don't think it's for everyone.

I mean, for one, I used to develop software and I don't think I could do that. IOW, if you need to use dedicated apps, you might be better off running Windows or Linux.

Also, Chrome OS is Google. I've used Google search since it came out, Chrome browser since it came to, have long had a Google account and use Gmail, Google Docs, etc. I think you can run Firefox and other apps but Google tools and apps are all integrated and you get great productivity.

Two minor irritations. Screen capture is different and so far I've found no simple replacement for MS Paint for cutting and resizing and cropping etc. Next, my password manager did not run in Chrome OS, so I had to opt for another and to pay for it.

Also, I had to buy a new external keyboard built from Chromebook/OS. The notebook sits on a table over to the side with monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers all external. Windows and Chrome OS keyboards are laid out with different function keys, i.e., no Windows key but a Search/Launcher key instead.

I set myself a goal years ago to free myself from Microsoft years ago and have finally achieved it.

Note: I saw somewhere where you can install Chrome OS on old Windows machines. So the old laptop I installed Linux on might get an update.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-18-2022)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Chromebook. I do not use it as my primary computer or even primary laptop though.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Chris (01-18-2022)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My new notebook, a Chromebook running Chrome OS came it. So far I love it.

I spend most of my time browsing the Interweb and that's its focus. All the browser extensions I used can be run as separate apps now outside the browser.

It took a couple of hours to figure it all out. So it is simple to use.

I don't think it's for everyone.

I mean, for one, I used to develop software and I don't think I could do that. IOW, if you need to use dedicated apps, you might be better off running Windows or Linux.

Also, Chrome OS is Google. I've used Google search since it came out, Chrome browser since it came to, have long had a Google account and use Gmail, Google Docs, etc. I think you can run Firefox and other apps but Google tools and apps are all integrated and you get great productivity.

Two minor irritations. Screen capture is different and so far I've found no simple replacement for MS Paint for cutting and resizing and cropping etc. Next, my password manager did not run in Chrome OS, so I had to opt for another and to pay for it.

Also, I had to buy a new external keyboard built from Chromebook/OS. The notebook sits on a table over to the side with monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers all external. Windows and Chrome OS keyboards are laid out with different function keys, i.e., no Windows key but a Search/Launcher key instead.

I set myself a goal years ago to free myself from Microsoft years ago and have finally achieved it.

Note: I saw somewhere where you can install Chrome OS on old Windows machines. So the old laptop I installed Linux on might get an update.
    Screenshot Tool - capture & editor - Chrome Web Store (google.com)
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That will work for Chrome Browser.

For Chrome OS it's Ctrl + Shift + Show, and the capture then drops in a Tote of text and image copies.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That will work for Chrome Browser.

For Chrome OS it's Ctrl + Shift + Show, and the capture then drops in a Tote of text and image copies.
    There is also Gravit Designer: Download Gravit Designer - For Windows, Mac, Chrome, and Linux
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Screenshot tool seems to be doing exactly what I need.

It's strange. I can view an image in the browser, right-click copy, but it won't paste into snipboard.io. On Wndows I'd next paste into MS Paint and copy and paste to Snipboard.io. Screenshot tool captures/copies and then I can paste to Snipboard.io.

Looks like Screenshot also allows for some basic manipulation, resize, crop, flip, etc. So it looks good.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (01-18-2022)

+ Reply to Thread