User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Member Moderation

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,551x in 55,060 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    We have to many idiots on here for something like this.
    I'm just saying I think you have to allow for some it and only stop it when it gets out of hand and detracts from discussion. Like Peter said, sometimes the topic drifts.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree Chris and the reason is simple, every member has their own idea what moderation should be, they have their own opinion of what should be allowed and what not..There are personality clashs and out right dislike.

You cant turn the law over to the mob thats involved in it it....Moderation is designed to do just that moderate.
    I suggest and you should know this chris, that if you have a problem with moderation or any moderator.

May I suggest you first discuss your grievance with him in a pm...if you cant agree, then you have the option to write to the admin...just pm title ADMIN and he will get it.

TPF threads alone are an example of how easily abuse emerges.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This came up about a week ago. I've waited to keep my question separate from any specific instance.

I think members should participate in moderation, at least to a moderate extent. What I mean is say you start a topic and someone posts off-topic, well then I think you can point it out, even request others to stay on topic. If you see what you think to be trolling, you should be able to call it out. Maybe you've started a tPF thread and want to give someone a chance to contribute before requesting a TB.

Mods sometimes warn and TB against that so I'm wondering isn't there some moderate line between what's acceptable and what's not? To me, that line might be saying it once but not repeating it many times. To me, that line might be doing it quietly without digressing from and wrecking the topic.

If you do it lightly, quietly, and it's ignored, the next step is to report it to the mods and let them handle it.

Anyway, what do you all think?
    Chris, are you saying that Mods warn folks not to tell other posters that they're off-topic or trolling? I'm not sure I've seen much if any of that. Where I've seen Mods get involved in that sort of thing is if, as Pammy points out, there's an extended back-and-forth slapfight that departs from the thread topic entirely, or if (as we see WAY too much) two or more posters begin comparing notes on how stupid, trollish, etc. another member is (e.g., "That Chris sure is a moron." "Yeah, what is his problem, anyway?"). Simply stating "Your post is off topic" and then maybe briefly explaining why you think that, shouldn't trigger any negative actions from the Mod team.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Common (01-20-2022)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Chris, are you saying that Mods warn folks not to tell other posters that they're off-topic or trolling? I'm not sure I've seen much if any of that. Where I've seen Mods get involved in that sort of thing is if, as Pammy points out, there's an extended back-and-forth slapfight that departs from the thread topic entirely, or if (as we see WAY too much) two or more posters begin comparing notes on how stupid, trollish, etc. another member is (e.g., "That Chris sure is a moron." "Yeah, what is his problem, anyway?"). Simply stating "Your post is off topic" and then maybe briefly explaining why you think that, shouldn't trigger any negative actions from the Mod team.
    I've seen it. It seems to be when it's done in excess and disrupts discussion.

I'm raising the question to try and find out where the line is.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've seen it. It seems to be when it's done in excess and disrupts discussion.

I'm raising the question to try and find out where the line is.
    Every discussion is different; I don't think it's practical to suppose that one rule or set of rules about it could be applied to all. If I'm attempting to have a serious discussion and someone posts what I consider to be an off-topic comment, I can (1) ignore it and move on, (2) simply state that I don't see the relevance of the comment to the thread topic and move on, (3) make an issue of it by engaging in a multi-page argument about whether the comment was relevant, or (4) Report the Post. Options 1 and 2 should have no negative consequences for me. Option 3 signals that I'm more interested in controlling the discussion than having a discussion, and may well lead to a Warning for all parties involved - which it should. Option 4 is, in almost all cases, going to be a waste of time.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,972x in 18,205 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    We have to many idiots on here for something like this.
    Some that would abuse it for personal vendettas to be sure.

We already have one Curmudgeon who claims your off topic when he starts losing the argument among other lame tactics.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (01-20-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Every discussion is different; I don't think it's practical to suppose that one rule or set of rules about it could be applied to all. If I'm attempting to have a serious discussion and someone posts what I consider to be an off-topic comment, I can (1) ignore it and move on, (2) simply state that I don't see the relevance of the comment to the thread topic and move on, (3) make an issue of it by engaging in a multi-page argument about whether the comment was relevant, or (4) Report the Post. Options 1 and 2 should have no negative consequences for me. Option 3 signals that I'm more interested in controlling the discussion than having a discussion, and may well lead to a Warning for all parties involved - which it should. Option 4 is, in almost all cases, going to be a waste of time.
    Your 2) and 3) seem to draw a line between acceptable and unacceptable member moderation. And that's what I want to hear.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,972x in 18,205 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And since we are on the topic of Moderating I would like something to be done about suspected Sock Puppets and those who just use the forum for occasional OP thread spamming and then disappear without any participation.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,486x in 15,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me be clear on this. What I am about to say is my opinion only and does not in any reflect the thinking of the Moderation team or the administration of this forum. I am posting this as a forum member with an interest in seeing the board become as good as it can be.

I have long thought along the lines of what Chris is proposing. If the forum members can self police if you will, there would be less need for intervention from the Mods. What I am talking about here is not being empowered to impose any kind of sanctions, but taking the initiative to say "Hey, that's out of line" or "You might want to read Rule # _________ before you continue down that path" or "We're getting off track here, let's try to get back to the topic being discussed"... things like that, expressed tactfully and with the intent to keep the discussion flowing in a civil manner.

The problem I see with that is how some members would suggest to what is intended as a helpful suggestion by another poster. I think that would be the biggest obstacle to making something like that work. It would take a general understanding of the intent and a willingness to accept a little constructive criticism that doesn't come down with a flash of lightning and big banner from Mt.Olympus. It would also require genuine good intent from the person pointing out what he perceives as a problem. If someone starts nitpicking and making an issue of every little possible rule violation, when the more productive course of action would be to actually just let it go and fade away, it will just create animosity and make things worse.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to keep our own house clean without calling the cops every time someone looks at you sideways, but it has to be done right... tactfully, respectfully, and responsibly.

Just my personal thoughts on the issue.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,486x in 15,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    And since we are on the topic of Moderating I would like something to be done about suspected Sock Puppets and those who just use the forum for occasional OP thread spamming and then disappear without any participation.
    Use the Report Post feature to bring it to the attention of the Mods when you see it and they will definitely look into it. I can't guarantee action will be taken, but can guarantee it will be investigated.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

+ Reply to Thread