Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    We have to many idiots on here for something like this.
    I don't think people are saying either or. I think the suggestion was to prevent getting spanked for reminding someone they are ruining a thread, which they often do on purpose.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Chris (01-20-2022),Red Lily (01-20-2022)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I don't think people are saying either or. I think the suggestion was to prevent getting spanked for reminding someone they are ruining a thread, which they often do on purpose.
    Yes. Precisely. And to try and ;ay out a sense of where the line might lay.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,094x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Your 2) and 3) seem to draw a line between acceptable and unacceptable member moderation. And that's what I want to hear.
    First, I don't consider my simply telling someone, "I think that's off-topic" to be "member moderation". Similarly, I wouldn't consider it to be out of line and unacceptable to point out, directly to that member, that he or she is, in my opinion, violating any other rule, such as the rule against personal insults. As far as I'm concerned, it also isn't "member moderation" if I engage in a twelve hour debate with someone about whether a post was off-topic or not. I guess what I'm really saying is that there is no such thing as "member moderation".
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    First, I don't consider my simply telling someone, "I think that's off-topic" to be "member moderation". Similarly, I wouldn't consider it to be out of line and unacceptable to point out, directly to that member, that he or she is, in my opinion, violating any other rule, such as the rule against personal insults. As far as I'm concerned, it also isn't "member moderation" if I engage in a twelve hour debate with someone about whether a post was off-topic or not. I guess what I'm really saying is that there is no such thing as "member moderation".
    It's just a name I picked based on moderators warning/TBing some members for moderating. Call it what you will.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But there could be is the question but I can also see many pitfalls in it.

Don't forget how the forum advertises itself. Member run.

Welcome to The Political Forums. We are a member-run board covering the latest in politics, news, and many other subjects. Register and let your voice be heard! Registration is free and takes only a few seconds. The Political Forums. Welcome to the The Political Forums.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Chris (01-20-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Here's an example of such a warning/TB "for repeated in-thread moderation."

Thus my calling it member moderation.

Now that I see it again, I see it says "repeated." Implying, I suppose, excessive.

(Please don't search for it because I'm not questioning specific moderation.)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's just a name I picked based on moderators warning/TBing some members for moderating. Call it what you will.
    I understand...but I don't think you can really call it any kind of "moderation" if you don't have the power to do anything about what you see as a rules violation. I think "moderation" implies the ability to make others conform/play nice or face the consequences, which doesn't fit the situation we're discussing.

Have you actually seen a Moderator Warn or TB a member for "moderating", using that word? I just reviewed the forum Rules and I didn't see anything about non-Mods "moderating". I was going to say the closest thing in the Rules would be the part about (paraphrasing) discouraging others from posting, but I'm not finding anything like that in the current rules, although I know I've seen Mods cite it as something members shouldn't be doing. Does anyone remember there ever being a formal rule like that?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I understand...but I don't think you can really call it any kind of "moderation" if you don't have the power to do anything about what you see as a rules violation. I think "moderation" implies the ability to make others conform/play nice or face the consequences, which doesn't fit the situation we're discussing.

Have you actually seen a Moderator Warn or TB a member for "moderating", using that word? I just reviewed the forum Rules and I didn't see anything about non-Mods "moderating". I was going to say the closest thing in the Rules would be the part about (paraphrasing) discouraging others from posting, but I'm not finding anything like that in the current rules, although I know I've seen Mods cite it as something members shouldn't be doing. Does anyone remember there ever being a formal rule like that?
    See previous post above for example, partial example, not going to provide link.

So then let's say what I'm seeking is a clarification of the boundary between non-in-thread moderating and in-thread moderating. And that seems to be repeatedly doing it, to the point of distraction I suppose.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's an example of such a warning/TB "for repeated in-thread moderation."

Thus my calling it member moderation.

Now that I see it again, I see it says "repeated." Implying, I suppose, excessive.

(Please don't search for it because I'm not questioning specific moderation.)
    Okay, well, that answers my question, above. "Repeated in-thread moderation". I don't even know what that could consist of. Maybe one (or more) of the Mods could supply some clarification...?

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every discussion is different; I don't think it's practical to suppose that one rule or set of rules about it could be applied to all. If I'm attempting to have a serious discussion and someone posts what I consider to be an off-topic comment, I can (1) ignore it and move on, (2) simply state that I don't see the relevance of the comment to the thread topic and move on, (3) make an issue of it by engaging in a multi-page argument about whether the comment was relevant, or (4) Report the Post. Options 1 and 2 should have no negative consequences for me. Option 3 signals that I'm more interested in controlling the discussion than having a discussion, and may well lead to a Warning for all parties involved - which it should. Option 4 is, in almost all cases, going to be a waste of time.
    Within that lies the differences in opinion about who or what should recieve a warning. We have had people go stark raving froth at the mouthmad for receiving a mere warning and run to the hole calling the mod a moron and everything else..How could you possibly allow individual members to do that and have chaos reign

I think chris is confusing what he would do as opposed to what others would do...it just doesnt work that way...didnt work here and didnt work where I am now.

Chris should know that moderation mostly reacts to reports and their merit..mods cant read every post in ever thread every day.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

+ Reply to Thread