Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,071x in 3,436 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care if someone "insults" me as it's all subjective and if the intent is to be obnoxious then that just reflects on their own character, not mine.

Too many people just don't have any insight into their own behavior and will either engage in tit for tat or play the victim and it's not the ones with balance who would be overly engaging in "member moderation" it would be those who take issue with posters rather than the posts made.

Mods shouldn't have to spend their time rifling through multiple reports and if too many people get banned that just limits the forum as a whole.

If it were me (with the ongoing tit for tat nonsense that takes over threads and which I personally find extremely irritating) I'd just be deleting the content of the posts of all those engaging and leave a DELETED message there instead so maybe they'll get the hint and stop engaging in it.

We all have different views about it though which is why we have Mods in the first place. Agree or disagree, someone has to take the lead so we either conform or we go elsewhere.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (01-24-2022)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,904x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I believe that just as not all insults are ad homs, neither do they all fit a reasonable definition of "trolling". I see a far better exemplar of "trolling" in a thread title like "Why are Democrats incapable of honesty?". Anyone who employs the "begging the question" fallacy right there in the thread title is clearly not looking for any kind of actual discussion.
    It will always be the case that few ever agree on any of these things. Thus, moderation.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,864
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I believe that just as not all insults are ad homs, neither do they all fit a reasonable definition of "trolling". I see a far better exemplar of "trolling" in a thread title like "Why are Democrats incapable of honesty?". Anyone who employs the "begging the question" fallacy right there in the thread title is clearly not looking for any kind of actual discussion.
    Rather like asking when you stopped beating your wife.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pammy View Post
    They could've easily said: "No insults. No name-calling" - but didn't. Having said that, I understand it - I do. Perhaps, a rewrite is necessary? This is supposed to be a members-run forum. Maybe the members should rewrite the rules? I don't know but maybe a committee can be established to rewrite the rules? I really enjoy being here, don't like the name-calling and insults but really do think it could be clearer without getting rid of everybody. Maybe 2 to 5 of us can informally draft a new set of rules, with liberals and conservatives represented and pitch it to the members and/or mods?

Just thinking out loud.... probably a bad idea.
    The rules were written with the latitude to read more than one offence into the rule. If you itemize every wrong behavior, you will either have an insanely long list or you will miss something. So rule number two is necessarily broad.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (01-24-2022),Standing Wolf (01-24-2022)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The rules were written with the latitude to read more than one offence into the rule. If you itemize every wrong behavior, you will either have an insanely long list or you will miss something. So rule number two is necessarily broad.
    Rule one is broad: Good faith never defined, insults included as bad faith. Rule two is a list of specific offenses, with a poorly written trolling rule: I remember when it was created in the VIP room by googling it and adopted by simple majority vote--so much for democracy!
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (01-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Rule one is broad: Good faith never defined, insults included as bad faith. Rule two is a list of specific offenses, with a poorly written trolling rule: I remember when it was created in the VIP room by googling it and adopted by simple majority vote--so much for democracy!
    IIRC, no one could come up with a definition for trolling that satisfied everyone. I've seen the word trolling much abused on the forum, to the point where having an opposing opinion is deemed trolling by some.

Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (01-24-2022),Now_What (01-24-2022),Standing Wolf (01-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IIRC, no one could come up with a definition for trolling that satisfied everyone. I've seen the word trolling much abused on the forum, to the point where having an opposing opinion is deemed trolling by some.
    Right, and then someone pushed their definition through. Some things require consensus not mere majority vote. The definition of trolling sucks because there's no way to test it: "Why are Democrats incapable of honesty?" is understood by many and taken as inflammatory by many, how decide?

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Right, and then someone pushed their definition through. Some things require consensus not mere majority vote. The definition of trolling sucks because there's no way to test it: "Why are Democrats incapable of honesty?" is understood by many and taken as inflammatory by many, how decide?
    When the question in the subject of an OP is based on an unproven and insulting assumption, it becomes inflammatory. There is no evidence that all Democrats are incapable of honesty and to suggest such a thing can have no purpose other than to be offensive to Democrats and get a rise out of them. That is trolling. If the subject of the OP stated: "Why are Republicans so self-centered?", I doubt that you would have any problem identifying it as trolling.

Mahatma Gandhi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (01-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When the question in the subject of an OP is based on an unproven and insulting assumption, it becomes inflammatory. There is no evidence that all Democrats are incapable of honesty and to suggest such a thing can have no purpose other than to be offensive to Democrats and get a rise out of them. That is trolling. If the subject of the OP stated: "Why are Republicans so self-centered?", I doubt that you would have any problem identifying it as trolling.
    I'd argue with it if I thought it wrong. Find out what they mean. See if discussion ensures. That's my test for trolling.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Anyway, I do not seek to change any rules here in this thread, just clarification of this fairly new aspect of bad faith posting, member moderation.

+ Reply to Thread