Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    What is the solution?
    Our society needs to start valuing the natural beauty of girls and women a lot more than it does right now. The nations most equitable toward women (which are also those that are most equitable in general) -- countries like Iceland and Sweden and so forth -- feature a much weaker market for beauty products than we possess because they tend to prize a naturalist aesthetic more than we do.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 02-19-2022 at 07:21 AM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,578x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Our society needs to start valuing the natural beauty of girls and women a lot more than it does right now. The nations most equitable toward women (which are also those that most equitable in general) -- countries like Iceland and Sweden and so forth -- feature a much weaker market for beauty products than we possess because they tend to prize a naturalist aesthetic more than we do.
    I agree with that. Makeup does nothing for me. I never dated a girl that needed it to leave the house.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (02-19-2022)

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I'm not a sexist...
    Since when is it "sexist" to recognize that there are differences between men and women?

...and because the trajectory of developments is proving me right.
    Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. The overwhelming majority of gaming is still done by males.

And also because I have more in common with "most females" than you do, to state the obvious.
    You're a lesbian gamer who posts on political forums. Not sure how much you really have in common with the average woman.

Yes.
    Because?
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our society needs to start valuing the natural beauty of girls and women a lot more than it does right now. The nations most equitable toward women (which are also those that are most equitable in general) -- countries like Iceland and Sweden and so forth -- feature a much weaker market for beauty products than we possess because they tend to prize a naturalist aesthetic more than we do.
    Ironic that you would mention Scandinavian countries, since they have some of the lowest percentages of their female population in STEM. Turns out, the more freedom and empowerment that women get, the more they gravitate towards traditionally feminine things. Gee, it's almost as if men and women are different or something.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-21-2022)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ethereal

Hi. I posted this thread to celebrate a milestone in female representation in video games and to voice my general contentedness with recent improvements in the ways that girls and women are treated and represented in this medium. It seems like you object to that and honestly I'm baffled as to why. I seriously don't understand why you seem to believe that girls and women shouldn't play video games. How is that being unreasonable, unnatural, out of place? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what your overarching message is here. Either way, I'd like some clarification on exactly what's got your underwear in such a wad.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 02-20-2022 at 09:02 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ethereal

Hi. I posted this thread to celebrate a milestone in female representation in video games and to voice my general contentedness with recent improvements in the ways that girls and women are treated and represented in this medium. It seems like you object to that and honestly I'm baffled as to why. I seriously don't understand why you seem to believe that girls and women shouldn't play video games. How is that being unreasonable, unnatural, out of place? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what your overarching message is here. Either way, I'd like some clarification on exactly what's got your underwear in such a wad.
    I never said any of those things. I merely pointed out that advertising revenue is not a function of some sexist conspiracy but of simple profit motive. I also pointed out that men and women are just naturally different, which is why they make different choices on average.
    --John Adams

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-01-2022)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More and more young women play video games...World of Warcrafts female population has become huge in compariso when it started...

zelda was very popular and it trumped Duke Nukem to obscurity...zelda had more modern movements and keybinds and bad as it was the best graphics when it was first released...I played zelda and liked it
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (03-02-2022)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No argument that the natural looks of a woman are definitely more appealing then someone who uses cosmetics with a heavy hand. But that's not the point.

Marketing is based on attracting the natural customer base, and while that base may contain more than one, there is usually one that is the majority. The majority of cosmetic users are female, and the majority that find video games appealing are male. It's not 'sexist' in it's marketing. It doesn't say that a member of an alternate sex cannot use or play.

I'm fine with either manufacturer creating products for the minority customer. I would be surprised if they spent marketing time and funds promoting it heavily, unless demand starts reaching new levels or the customer base makes their preference more known.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,657x in 28,246 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tired, age-old argument against appealing to female gamers is a circular one:

1) Men are the primary consumers of video games, so game companies focus on appealing to them.
    2) Women buy fewer games because they're made to appeal to men. Return from here to point 1.

But unlike that famous chicken-or-the-egg scenario, we know which one came first because the industry was created overwhelmingly by men. Men tend to think mostly about what other men will want to play. Keeping it that way is a choice. More women can be, and indeed are being, brought into the business precisely for reasons of companies wanting to reach an expanded market, increasingly. And what you choose to invest in a given game's development and marketing is, at the end of the day, a choice. No one is compelled to make the sexist choice.
    It doesn't surprise me. Sony has become so large that they need to expand into niches. They were probably surprised at how big this niche was because marketing managers generally look at what was done before and just try to repeat it. They are not generally inventive people. Why they ignored 51% of the population reflects that.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (03-02-2022)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    More and more young women play video games...World of Warcrafts female population has become huge in compariso when it started...

zelda was very popular and it trumped Duke Nukem to obscurity...zelda had more modern movements and keybinds and bad as it was the best graphics when it was first released...I played zelda and liked it
    One will hardly be surprised to learn that the fantasy medieval rescue-the-princess type chivalry of the Legend of Zelda games tends to garner a larger female player base than the crass sexualized misogyny (e.g. bound, ass-naked women who beg you to kill them) and piss and poop gags of the Duke Nukem series. Some forms of sexism -- namely the more patronizing ones -- are less degrading and offensive to most girls and women than others that more blatantly hate them and reduce them to their bodies. I find the success of the Horizon franchise and others like it though more inspiring in that it breaks out of this entire framework by helping to bring into the mainstream of gaming culture the idea that women can be the heroes of their own stories. That's something we haven't seen nearly as much of in the history of this medium.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-02-2022 at 10:13 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Peaceful Warriors (03-16-2022)

+ Reply to Thread