Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,553x in 94,975 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the Ukraine War Will Likely End

This is a bleak assessment of the war and how is may end. Putin has can't back down and remain in power, but he is running out of bodies. What will he do?

I don't agree with some of the things the article predicts. Russia is not going to attack the Baltics or the Fulga Gap. He isn't going to use first strike strategic nukes. The article didn't mention using a tac-nuke inside Ukraine to gain advantage- I emailed them about that.

I do agree that Putin can't appear to have capitulated. He will be deposed. If he consolidates military force on the East and Mauripol he may be about to eke out a "win."

As we consider how the war in Ukraine will end, we must first understand how it began. Russia invaded for geostrategic reasons – having Ukraine as a buffer state safeguards Moscow from invasion from the west – and for economic reasons, which have often gone overlooked. The transition from the Soviet Union to the Russian Federation wasn’t exactly lucrative. It may have increased total wealth, but Russia remains a poor country. Its gross domestic product ranks just behind South Korea’s, a respectable placement but hardly where a superpower should be. And in terms of per capita GDP, Russia ranks 85th, nestled between Bulgaria and Malaysia.

Economic statistics rarely tell the whole story, of course, but in Russia’s case they fairly accurately present a country that is poorer than it appears, masked superficially by a top layer of the superrich elite. Life in major cities like St. Petersburg and Moscow is luxurious for the wealthy and bearable for the rest. Life in the countryside is something else entirely.

Individual regimes can’t be solely blamed for Russian poverty. The size of the nation, and the difficulties in areas such as transport associated with its size, makes Russia difficult to govern. From the time of the czars, it has been the state rather than shared economic prosperity that has kept Russia together. Often this has been achieved through the security services, which are tasked with maintaining state power, not with building an economy. It’s little wonder that the country that boasted the Okhrana also produced a president who cut his teeth in the KGB. Rightly or wrongly, Russia’s size and inefficiency tend to demand a strong hand.

This has created an expectation that the state will be strong even if the people are poor. There was pride in the czars and in Stalin – the so-called “man of steel.” But for a ruler to govern Russia, they must demonstrate strength. The intellectuals in Russia speak of democracy and human rights. The people want protection against invaders from without and against impoverishing chaos from within.
    This means that Putin’s war plan is shattered. The resistance has been effective and his troops need a relief he cannot provide. Putin will feint in other directions – perhaps in the Baltics or Moldova – but he lacks the force to fight on another front. He can’t sustain this war easily, especially in the face of NATO soldiers who have so far stayed out of the fray.

Even so, I cannot predict what a leader will do in the end. But for now, it’s clear to me that Putin will cling to power and blame everyone around him. But every day the war goes on, Putin gets weaker. Ukraine should not be able to resist, NATO should not be united, American economic warfare should not be so powerful. Putin is growing more desperate. He has mumbled about nuclear weapons, the sign of utmost desperation. But he knows he and anyone he may love will die in a nuclear exchange. Even if he is prepared to commit suicide rather than capitulate, he knows that the order to launch must go through several hands, and each of those hands knows that the counterstrike will kill their loved ones. Therein lies the weakness of nuclear war: Retaliating is one thing, initiating another. Putin trusts few people, and he doesn’t know how reliable anyone would be in this situation – nor what the Americans might do if they saw preparation for a Russian launch.

If Putin gives up his position, he is compromised, and perhaps lost. The buzzards are circling. So he must continue to fight until he is forced out and someone else not responsible for the disaster takes over and blames it all on Putin. I think that this can’t end until Putin is pulled from the game.

Obviously, I am moving here away from geopolitical analysis into the political. The former tries to minimize individual influence while the latter emphasizes it. That gives my forecast an inevitable imprecision. But given the situation on the ground, and given Russian internal dynamics, it does seem that all the forces coming to bear on Putin dictate a certain direction. The war will end, but the war is evolving in a way that creates unique pressures on the Russian political system, and, because of the nature of the system, that pressure pivots on Putin.

This is not the only outcome. Ukraine might collapse. Russia might collapse. The Russian army may devise a strategy to win the war. A settlement that is respected might be reached. All of these are possible, but I don’t see much movement in any of these directions. A political end is what I would bet on, with the Russians taking the short end of the stick. I wouldn’t have thought this on the first day of the war, but I think this is likely the shape of the last day.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (04-15-2022)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,637x in 56,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    This is a bleak assessment of the war and how is may end. Putin has can't back down and remain in power, but he is running out of bodies. What will he do?

I don't agree with some of the things the article predicts. Russia is not going to attack the Baltics or the Fulga Gap. He isn't going to use first strike strategic nukes. The article didn't mention using a tac-nuke inside Ukraine to gain advantage- I emailed them about that.

I do agree that Putin can't appear to have capitulated. He will be deposed. If he consolidates military force on the East and Mauripol he may be about to eke out a "win."

I doubt he would deploy tactical nukes in Ukraine.

Nor will he launch a strategic first strike. He knows the counterstrike would basically eliminate Russia’s society as they know it.

This is likely the beginning of the end of Putin.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 04-05-2022 at 12:41 PM.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-05-2022)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I doubt he would deploy tactical nukes in Ukraine.

Nor will he launch a strategic first strike. He knows the counterstrike would basically eliminate Russia’s society as they know it.

This is likely the beginning of the end of Putin.
    Maybe.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    JesusIsLord's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 97x in 86 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    putin's approval rating is through the roof. 70% i think. these people aren't klingons, ffs, there will be no overthrow if he "shows weakness". plus, why would you need a coup in a country that has elections (you know, unlike the us?)

all western reporting on this is "putin is not meeting this arbitrary benchmark i just yanked out of my ass, so now he losing". and if he is losing so badly, why does NATO need to keep sending more and more arms, and do more and more to escalate the conflict they started in the first place?

the tension needs to keep up because otherwise the oligarchs that toppled the us in a coup 2 years ago won't be able to prop up the american military with gas and oil sales to europe. the end of this war is economic ruin for soros, blackrock, gates, zuckerberg, and their ilk; therefore it continues. i had posted before about how israelis are hoping to cause a cold war so they can make money off both weapons sales, as well as construct a pipeline from newly acquired oil fields in golan heights, through turkey to eu. notice that they are the moderators?

russia only brought 200,000 troops vs ukraine's 600,000. they never brought enough people to take a city, much less hold a city, and much much less an entire country. that alone should tell you that western media coverage is not mapping to reality. russians have openly and clearly stated their goals, and it is not "take over ukraine".

re:nukes putin has clearly and repeatedly stated he will use them if NATO tries to go to war. he has gone to a bunker, sent his family to serbia and has been doing nuclear drills for both civilians and military. whenever i post about peter pry's work on other sites, it kills the thread instantly. same with the more obscure imageboards that only have a handful of hardcore users and a super low post rate; i posted there and got a flurry of "jew shill" and various other well-poisoning responses from obvious glowingly obvious fedposters. then after i called them out, the thread was moved, then deleted. after that, i started seeing "check out NATO's super-cool antiballistic missile system, nothing gets through that, no siree!" kinds of posts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JesusIsLord For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-06-2022)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    JesusIsLord's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 97x in 86 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,818x in 15,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusIsLord View Post
    putin's approval rating is through the roof. 70% i think. these people aren't klingons, ffs, there will be no overthrow if he "shows weakness". plus, why would you need a coup in a country that has elections (you know, unlike the us?)

all western reporting on this is "putin is not meeting this arbitrary benchmark i just yanked out of my ass, so now he losing". and if he is losing so badly, why does NATO need to keep sending more and more arms, and do more and more to escalate the conflict they started in the first place?

the tension needs to keep up because otherwise the oligarchs that toppled the us in a coup 2 years ago won't be able to prop up the american military with gas and oil sales to europe. the end of this war is economic ruin for soros, blackrock, gates, zuckerberg, and their ilk; therefore it continues. i had posted before about how israelis are hoping to cause a cold war so they can make money off both weapons sales, as well as construct a pipeline from newly acquired oil fields in golan heights, through turkey to eu. notice that they are the moderators?

russia only brought 200,000 troops vs ukraine's 600,000. they never brought enough people to take a city, much less hold a city, and much much less an entire country. that alone should tell you that western media coverage is not mapping to reality. russians have openly and clearly stated their goals, and it is not "take over ukraine".

re:nukes putin has clearly and repeatedly stated he will use them if NATO tries to go to war. he has gone to a bunker, sent his family to serbia and has been doing nuclear drills for both civilians and military. whenever i post about peter pry's work on other sites, it kills the thread instantly. same with the more obscure imageboards that only have a handful of hardcore users and a super low post rate; i posted there and got a flurry of "jew shill" and various other well-poisoning responses from obvious glowingly obvious fedposters. then after i called them out, the thread was moved, then deleted. after that, i started seeing "check out NATO's super-cool antiballistic missile system, nothing gets through that, no siree!" kinds of posts.

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,554
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,149x in 28,537 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freidman was wrong about the invasion. Should we trust his forecasts now?

Just an honest question because I do not follow him.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,644x in 25,175 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusIsLord View Post

Ok Vlad. Vlad is the equivalent of Hitler. He must be stopped.

615C3591-4E85-44F5-9A4F-9B4382E0B225.gif
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-08-2022),Cotton1 (04-15-2022),NapRover (04-18-2022)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Freidman was wrong about the invasion. Should we trust his forecasts now?

Just an honest question because I do not follow him.
    Most experts were wrong about the invasion. Friedman posted an analysis of why he was wrong, and I posted that here. Anyway I say in post 1 that I don't agree with all of his points in the article.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Ok Vlad. Vlad is the equivalent of Hitler. He must be stopped.
    So the West is going on a crusade to stop Vlad? What does that look like?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-19-2023)

+ Reply to Thread