User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why have female animals evolved such wild genitals?...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,598x in 25,151 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Why have female animals evolved such wild genitals?...

Why have female animals evolved such wild genitals?...

img_8297_web.jpg

From ducks to dolphins, females have developed sex organs that help them deter undesirable suitors and derive pleasure from non-reproductive behavior

gettyimages-1263017207_web.jpg

These are questions that the current framework of sexual selection, with its simple assumptions about aggressive males and choosy females, renders unaskable. Darwin took for granted that the basic unit of nature was the female-male pairing, and that such pairings always led to reproduction. Therefore, the theory he came up with—coy females who pick among competing males—only explained a limited slice of sexual behavior. Those who followed in his footsteps similarly treated heterosexuality as the One True Sexuality, with all other configurations as either curiosities or exceptions.

The effects of this pigeonholing go beyond biology. The dismissal of homosexuality in animals, and the treatment of such animals as freaks or exceptions, helps reify negative attitudes toward sexual minorities in humans. Darwin’s theories are often misused today to promote myths about what human nature should and shouldn’t be. Roughgarden, a transgender woman who transitioned a few years before writing her book, could see the damage more clearly than most. Sexual selection theory “denies me my place in nature, squeezes me into a stereotype I can’t possibly live with—I’ve tried,” she writes in Evolution’s Rainbow.

slide3_web.jpg
    duckvaginafrombrennan_web.jpg

duckvagina2_web.jpg

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...tm_source=digg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (04-09-2022),Dr. Who (04-07-2022),IMPress Polly (04-10-2022),MisterVeritis (04-18-2022),slackercruster (04-19-2022)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,546x in 55,965 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is something I have never considered. I don’t know why anyone would.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,598x in 25,151 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the centuries, studying one discipline has led to great discoveries in others.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

+ Reply to Thread