User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why people don't barf on planes as much as they used to...

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,334x in 18,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    As a kid, I got very sick in a small single engine plane when they banked to show me our house . They hosed both me and the plane off when we landed.

Other then that, I am fine once the wheels are off the ground in commercial planes, and have (un-officially) co-piloted in a DC-3 for jumpers, a Piper Cub and a couple other small planes.

Getting my pilot's license was on my to-do list, before health issues put it out of my reach.

I would love to pilot a small plane, just once, so I could say I did it.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (04-27-2022)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I would love to pilot a small plane, just once, so I could say I did it.
    It's quite a kick.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (04-27-2022)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,482x in 15,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I have never barfed on a plane (or helicopter flying NAP of the earth). But I have felt like it a lot. Flying 800 foot off the ground in a propeller powered C-130, with over 100 lbs of gear waiting for the green light is the most turbulence I have ever experienced. And did so often. Commercial flights are nothing in comparison. We had a guy in another stick puck once. The guy behind him slipped in it, broke his leg. We had to unhook his static line from the alkaline cable and pass him to the front of the cabin (away from the doors) and got it done just before green light.

I can remember flying as the Safety for #13 in a 15 bird Mass Tac. Toward the rear of the formation, the turbulence is horrendous. Jumpers were puking their guts out all over the place. I have never seen a bunch of guys in such a hurry to exit an aircraft. Anyway, we emptied the bird in the first pass, but they decided to do a racetrack over the DZ, so since the Safety stays aboard the aircraft (He is a Jumpmaster who doesn't jump on that particular mission, generally because he is not part of the ground operation) I collected all the air sickness bags, stacked them up by the door and when we did a second pass over the DZ, pitched them out.

I have spent a lot of time over the years chuckling to myself imagining the reaction on the ground when it started raining vomit filled air sickness bags.

On that particular one, I did not vomit, but I came about as close as I ever have. When we landed in Panama, I was doing everything I could to hold it in. As I was exiting the aircraft with the other Safety, one of the ground support troops came up next to me and I turned to him and said "Quick, give me your helmet". He took it off and handed it to me and I just about filled it up. I handed it back to him, said "Thank you" and went on my way, feeling much better.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-27-2022),carolina73 (04-27-2022),Peter1469 (04-28-2022)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,570
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,138x in 28,530 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I can remember flying as the Safety for #13 in a 15 bird Mass Tac. Toward the rear of the formation, the turbulence is horrendous. Jumpers were puking their guts out all over the place. I have never seen a bunch of guys in such a hurry to exit an aircraft. Anyway, we emptied the bird in the first pass, but they decided to do a racetrack over the DZ, so since the Safety stays aboard the aircraft (He is a Jumpmaster who doesn't jump on that particular mission, generally because he is not part of the ground operation) I collected all the air sickness bags, stacked them up by the door and when we did a second pass over the DZ, pitched them out.

I have spent a lot of time over the years chuckling to myself imagining the reaction on the ground when it started raining vomit filled air sickness bags.

On that particular one, I did not vomit, but I came about as close as I ever have. When we landed in Panama, I was doing everything I could to hold it in. As I was exiting the aircraft with the other Safety, one of the ground support troops came up next to me and I turned to him and said "Quick, give me your helmet". He took it off and handed it to me and I just about filled it up. I handed it back to him, said "Thank you" and went on my way, feeling much better.
    Too bad the airspace over DC is controlled.

Here you go Congress. A free lunch.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an 8-year-old flying back from Germany, I barfed so much they had to make an emergency landing in Ireland. Ireland allowed me to be taken to a hospital for re-hydration. The passengers had to sit there until I got back. I was less than popular.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,334x in 18,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    As an 8-year-old flying back from Germany, I barfed so much they had to make an emergency landing in Ireland. Ireland allowed me to be taken to a hospital for re-hydration. The passengers had to sit there until I got back. I was less than popular.

LOL......I can understand that! I don't remember where I was coming from/going but, we had to sit and wait for 2 passengers who were late, when they finally boarded, laughing, with 4 large shopping bags from the shops in the airport, a table lamp and, a 6ft fake ficus tree, some passengers actually booed them.

I'd have rather been held up, by an 8 year old who needed to be rehydrated.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-27-2022),Cletus (04-27-2022)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,541x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    LOL......I can understand that! I don't remember where I was coming from/going but, we had to sit and wait for 2 passengers who were late, when they finally boarded, laughing, with 4 large shopping bags from the shops in the airport, a table lamp and, a 6ft fake ficus tree, some passengers actually booed them.

I'd have rather been held up, by an 8 year old who needed to be rehydrated.
    I missed a plane in Zurich once just as the boarding gate closed. The plane was still there, but they cut it off. I was late because my train from Croatia got held up several hours at the border. Luckily I was business class so the airline took care of me. Economy class people in my line were not getting treated well and some had to wait days for another flight. But Zurich sucks.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread