Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,091x in 28,500 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
    I thought this was over years ago. Now the DOR is taking my tax rebates. It was a phone call scam I tried to tell phone company but they refused to believe me. This all happened more than 10 years ago with a land line. I refused to pay long distance phone calls ( I did not make!). I changed services, disconnected internet service ( and I suspect maybe they are somehow to blame), and had my telephone disconnected.
    At the time when I left for work ( I lived alone and still do) I would unplug phones from land line. I eventually cut the wire connected to my house outside the residence below the ground.
    And the bills sent to me kept showing charges.
    No one would help. Police, I.P. or phone companies.
    Now I'm still paying for this crime against me.
    I live on S.S.R. and barely am able to pay my bills.
    I just had to update my cell phone (had G3 got shut down). I am 65 and can't afford this phone's charges. Looks like my life is going in the dumpster. Look for me on a park bench near you soon... not kidding!
    Check your state laws on how long they have to collect.

They can take you to court. Did they do that?
    Did they turn it over to a collection agency.

Because then they are out of it and the court has the power to attach your revenues.

If you are retired and living only on SSI then how do you have a tax refund coming?
    Let's go Brandon !!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (05-02-2022)

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a letter from DOR. It says it > "has determined you are eligible for an Automatic Taxpayer Refund of $125.00." However, your refund has been offset or being held for verification by the claimant agency(ies) listed on page two of this letter.
    On back of letter it lists Phone/Period - 12/31/2009 , Applied to Debt - $125.00 , Total Status - Unsatisfied.

The billing totals for Long Distance calls from unknown source totaled upwards $1000.00 if I remember right. I have all my old records stored and will be digging them out.
    Okay. So we are talking about $125 not something that will put you out on the streets.

SOL by state

https://www.thebalance.com/state-by-...on-debt-960881
    Last edited by carolina73; 05-02-2022 at 03:37 PM.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,599x in 25,152 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Wow indeed. I've had someone take our mail from our mailbox. The mailbox is out on the county road, but we are about a 1/3 of a mile (or so I'm told) off the county road, down and around a couple bends and a locked cow gate, so we don't have an eye on the box. I only know someone took it because the discarded anything that didn't look usable for whatever their dirty deeds were, and they opened a thank you note from someone I had sent something to, I guess hoping it had cash in it? Mrs. U is likely the organized sort, so she knows what bills were due to come in when, so a couple of phone calls and she can get them paid before a problem arises. Meanwhile, just as we have, time to think about a PO Box where there is no open access to the public.
    you know, that's a good idea. A P.O. Box is a good idea. I'm going to suggest it.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-02-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    you know, that's a good idea. A P.O. Box is a good idea. I'm going to suggest it.
    The USPS is supposed to send you a key before they change the address. You are supposed to enter the key on the online form to verify it is you.

I wonder what happened to the confirmation code?
    Somebody was watching your box or USPS insider?

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

1. Go to the Official USPS Change of Address® website.
    2. Select Permanent or Temporary.
    3. Pay the $1.10 identity verification fee.
    4. Complete the appropriate online form.
    5. USPS will email you a confirmation code. Use this code to modify or cancel your request.
    6. A welcome kit with coupons from USPS partners will arrive at your new address.
    7. Mail will be rerouted to your new address piece by piece.
    Last edited by carolina73; 05-02-2022 at 05:29 PM.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-03-2022)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,286
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    If you get your bills electronically, you don't have to worry about anyone changing the address on you because the post office isn't involved.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-03-2022)

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,141x in 907 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow indeed.

I've had someone take our mail from our mailbox. The mailbox is out on the county road, but we are about a 1/3 of a mile (or so I'm told) off the county road, down and around a couple bends and a locked cow gate, so we don't have an eye on the box. I only know someone took it because the discarded anything that didn't look usable for whatever their dirty deeds were, and they opened a thank you note from someone I had sent something to, I guess hoping it had cash in it?

Mrs. U is likely the organized sort, so she knows what bills were due to come in when, so a couple of phone calls and she can get them paid before a problem arises. Meanwhile, just as we have, time to think about a PO Box where there is no open access to the public.
    I also had my mail tampered with back around that time. Found opened shipping packages with parts missing.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,141x in 907 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Okay. So we are talking about $125 not something that will put you out on the streets.

SOL by state

https://www.thebalance.com/state-by-...on-debt-960881
    Uh no... the bills went on for months. And longer after I had cut the line!
    The $125.00 is just a state rebate. I'm sure they (whoever has a claim?) plan on taking more. From whom and exactly what the DOR letter does not say...
    Last edited by rcfieldz; 05-02-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,310x in 18,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow indeed.

I've had someone take our mail from our mailbox. The mailbox is out on the county road, but we are about a 1/3 of a mile (or so I'm told) off the county road, down and around a couple bends and a locked cow gate, so we don't have an eye on the box. I only know someone took it because the discarded anything that didn't look usable for whatever their dirty deeds were, and they opened a thank you note from someone I had sent something to, I guess hoping it had cash in it?

Mrs. U is likely the organized sort, so she knows what bills were due to come in when, so a couple of phone calls and she can get them paid before a problem arises. Meanwhile, just as we have, time to think about a PO Box where there is no open access to the public.

Way back when we had cable TV, I called the cable company to come out and check the big box out front, because I wasn't getting service.

I walked out when I saw him out there and, he pointed to a cable that was supposed to be going to my house but, someone had tampered with it and, disconnected it from my house and, rerouted it to the house next door.

The cable guy went to that house and, came back and told me, the homeowner had a friend hook him up to the cable......yeah, his friend worked for the cable company and, gave him free cable, mine!
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-02-2022),Collateral Damage (05-03-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh no... the bills went on for months. And longer after I had cut the line!
    The $125.00 is just a state rebate. I'm sure they (whoever has a claim?) plan on taking more. From whom and exactly what the DOR letter does not say...
    One other thought. Are you sure this is not a fraud?

Did you know that you were getting money back?
    This could be the company that bought the old collection scamming you by claiming you were going to get a refund but didn't, so they will try to get you to sent them a partial payment of the total to make the rest go away. This could be send us $500 an we will settle something that does not even exist anymore.

First of all was it actually from your state DOR? There is no Federal DOR. That is called the IRS. They did not tell you where the error was that led to your return being changed. I never heard of that. Usually they tell you the line number etc.. from your tax filing.

I gave you the list of Statute of Limitations for each state. Was your state outside of the limits?

You can request a copy of your corrected tax form from the state and see where this credit came from, then if true use that as the starting point for asking "where did it go"?

But that also gives you the opportunity to reach out to your state rep, if the SOL has run out.

This sounds more and more like a scam unless you are not telling us that a legal action took place.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,286
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    Way back when we had cable TV, I called the cable company to come out and check the big box out front, because I wasn't getting service.

I walked out when I saw him out there and, he pointed to a cable that was supposed to be going to my house but, someone had tampered with it and, disconnected it from my house and, rerouted it to the house next door.

The cable guy went to that house and, came back and told me, the homeowner had a friend hook him up to the cable......yeah, his friend worked for the cable company and, gave him free cable, mine!
    I hope your neighbor was charged with theft, along with his cable company friend.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (05-02-2022)

+ Reply to Thread