Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,145x in 909 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Am A Victim Of Identity Theft

I thought this was over years ago. Now the DOR is taking my tax rebates. It was a phone call scam I tried to tell phone company but they refused to believe me. This all happened more than 10 years ago with a land line. I refused to pay long distance phone calls ( I did not make!). I changed services, disconnected internet service ( and I suspect maybe they are somehow to blame), and had my telephone disconnected.
    At the time when I left for work ( I lived alone and still do) I would unplug phones from land line. I eventually cut the wire connected to my house outside the residence below the ground.
    And the bills sent to me kept showing charges.
    No one would help. Police, I.P. or phone companies.
    Now I'm still paying for this crime against me.
    I live on S.S.R. and barely am able to pay my bills.
    I just had to update my cell phone (had G3 got shut down). I am 65 and can't afford this phone's charges. Looks like my life is going in the dumpster. Look for me on a park bench near you soon... not kidding!
    Last edited by rcfieldz; 05-02-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,558x in 94,978 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-03-2022)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,250
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
    I thought this was over years ago. Now the DOR is taking my tax rebates. It was a phone call scam I tried to tell phone company but they refused to believe me. This all happened more than 10 years ago with a land line. I refused to pay long distance phone calls ( I did not make!). I changed services, disconnected internet service ( and I suspect maybe they are somehow to blame), and had my telephone disconnected.
    At the time when I left for work ( I lived alone and still do) I would unplug phones from land line. I eventually cut the wire connected to my house outside the residence below the ground.
    I just had to update my cell phone (had G3 got shut down). I am 65 and can't afford this phone's charges. Looks like my life is going in the dumpster. Look for me on a park bench near you soon... not kidding!
    You could declare personal bankruptcy, but that will still cost you some money and you won't have any credit afterward.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (05-02-2022)

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,873x in 4,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you receive a notice from the DOR? They must explain any garnishment of your refund/rebate, and provide a number to contact.

And document, document, document.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    File a complaint with the FCC and explain what happened. The company has to respond to that type of complaint.

Then, stop paying charges you don't owe. If the phone company didn't get a judgement against you, I don't think those old charges are valid. It's been too long.

When I discontinued my mom's landline, ATT kept charging me for months even though I called numerous times. Finally, I said, F-this and filed an FCC complaint. Suddenly ATT reps were falling all over themselves to make me happy. And within a couple of weeks, I received a $700 prepaid VISA to make up for the overpayment I'd had to make.

Click the link above and file the complaint.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-02-2022),Collateral Damage (05-02-2022),Dr. Who (05-02-2022),RMNIXON (05-02-2022)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GET A LAWYER tell him your financial situation and ask if you can pay over time, you might get a couple of no but you will find one...maybe one of the resident attorneys here can give you advice...it would be far better than anything I can give you.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,145x in 909 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Did you receive a notice from the DOR? They must explain any garnishment of your refund/rebate, and provide a number to contact.

And document, document, document.
    I received a letter from DOR. It says it > "has determined you are eligible for an Automatic Taxpayer Refund of $125.00." However, your refund has been offset or being held for verification by the claimant agency(ies) listed on page two of this letter.
    On back of letter it lists Phone/Period - 12/31/2009 , Applied to Debt - $125.00 , Total Status - Unsatisfied.

The billing totals for Long Distance calls from unknown source totaled upwards $1000.00 if I remember right. I have all my old records stored and will be digging them out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rcfieldz For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-02-2022)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,971x in 18,205 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of such cases that can go on indefinitely. Computers talking to other computers spreading false information in your name!

I also had a bad run in with the phone company AT&T back in the early 90's before the internet. Hundreds of dollars in Toll Calls suddenly appeared on my landline phone bill. Most of them taking place late at night when I was asleep and living alone at the time. I explained all this to the phone company who acted as though I must be lying, but I refused to pay any of it.

Sometime after I observed a phone company truck at the apartment building. I tried to question the technician working on the phone panel outside but he refused to say anything. Then outside my window I see another truck show up, then another. They had three teams looking at every box and I managed to get one to admit someone had recently tampered with the phone lines.

Needless to say all the extra charges were dropped but no apologies.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,663x in 25,183 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs. U just called. We didn't get mail on Saturday. Odd. I didn't know this but apparently you can track your mail on the computer. She was expecting mail - having tracked it on the computer. Well.... as it turns out... someone put a "change of address" in for us and all of our mail was going to Connecticut. We live in rural Ohio. I've never been to Connecticut. She flagged down the mail lady today and the lady made some calls and told her that. She's unwound it or us unwinding it but wow.

IMG_9932 (1).JPG
    Last edited by DGUtley; 05-02-2022 at 02:50 PM.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-03-2022),carolina73 (05-02-2022)

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,873x in 4,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Mrs. U just called. We didn't get mail on Saturday. Odd. I didn't know this but apparently you can track your mail on the computer. She was expecting mail - having tracked it on the computer. Well.... as it turns out... someone put a "change of address" in for us and all of our mail was going to Connecticut. We live in rural Ohio. I've never been to Connecticut. She flagged down the mail lady today and the lady made some calls and told her that. She's unwound it or us unwinding it but wow.

Attachment 48710
    Wow indeed.

I've had someone take our mail from our mailbox. The mailbox is out on the county road, but we are about a 1/3 of a mile (or so I'm told) off the county road, down and around a couple bends and a locked cow gate, so we don't have an eye on the box. I only know someone took it because the discarded anything that didn't look usable for whatever their dirty deeds were, and they opened a thank you note from someone I had sent something to, I guess hoping it had cash in it?

Mrs. U is likely the organized sort, so she knows what bills were due to come in when, so a couple of phone calls and she can get them paid before a problem arises. Meanwhile, just as we have, time to think about a PO Box where there is no open access to the public.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-02-2022)

+ Reply to Thread