User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Morgan Levine: ‘Only 10-30% of our lifespan is estimated to be due to genetics’

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,486x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morgan Levine: ‘Only 10-30% of our lifespan is estimated to be due to genetics’

The key for most people is epigenetics: lifestyle factors and environmental factors turn genes on and off.

It can be said we have two ages: a fixed chronological age based on when we were born and a malleable biological age – the age at which our body is functioning, which can be affected by our lifestyle choices. Dr Morgan Levine designs tools that measure the latter. In her new book, True Age, she argues that we should regularly measure our own biological age – giving us information we could use to monitor, and even gain control over, our own individual ageing process. Levine, 37, is an assistant professor of pathology and epidemiology at Yale University’s school of medicine. This June she will join Altos Labs, a new $3bn (£2.2bn) anti-ageing biotech startup whose funders are said to include Jeff Bezos.
    Why is biological age important?

It is more informative than chronological age for predicting risk of disease or death. That’s because it is not chronological time that drives the development of disease, but rather the biological changes taking place among the molecules and cells in our bodies. Most people’s biological age will be within plus or minus five years of their chronological age, but you can have outliers of up to 10 or more years. The wonderful thing, compared with chronological age, is that biological age is modifiable. We don’t yet know exactly how to modify it to the greatest extent, but the clock can be made to tick slower, or even possibly go backwards, in response to our behaviours (though it can also speed up).The first step is getting a valid and reliable measure of it, which my lab has been working on.
    Read the entire article at the link.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Common (05-09-2022),donttread (05-09-2022),MisterVeritis (05-09-2022)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree and disagree, I come from a family of long livers and the ones who have died young did so because of lifestyle - that I agree with. But I have known men and women who barely made it to 50 or sixty because of genetics, often heart. Cancer too seems to have a genetic component. I plan to live forever so I can continue to educate and annoy the right wing republicans who have lost their morals and values and have become cult like tools.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...als-180977738/
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-09-2022)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,486x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did hedge my post "for most people." Perhaps I should have said for many instead. Genetics certainly matter. I have know life long smokers- some died in the 40s, others in their 80s.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,639x in 14,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    The key for most people is epigenetics: lifestyle factors and environmental factors turn genes on and off.

Read the entire article at the link.

I feel older biologically but I an overweight sugarholic guy with 40-50 pack years under his belt from back in the day. I do know that serious weight loss would help because I have been there before but could not level out at a decent weight and stay there.
    One day I suppose we will be able to turn those genes on and off at will

7. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-09-2022)

+ Reply to Thread