Thanked 43,661x in 28,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    LOL

I like that story.

One interesting from my bible study days is if a woman in the Old Testament is "barren," by god, she WILL have a baby at some point. That must have really meant something back then.

Another interesting thing--and this is one evangelicals ought to pay attention to--they cannot remarry. They can marry once. They can "set that spouse aside" or divorce. But, they cannot remarry. If they do so, they will be living in sin and when they die, they will die in a state of sin.

True that. The Big J lays it out in Matthew.
    All you have to do is make a big donation. Ted Kennedy had his first marriage annulled after 21 years.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    All you have to do is make a big donation. Ted Kennedy had his first marriage annulled after 21 years.
    Not really. For example, Pope Clement VII said no to King Henry VIII. Henry's Chancelor, Saint Thomas More, was executed for treason when he sided with the Pope.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Not really. For example, Pope Clement VII said no to King Henry VIII. Henry's Chancelor, Saint Thomas More, was executed for treason when he sided with the Pope.
    LOL. Times change. Now the churches want a financial trail of donations if you want to baptize the children or get married. You can mail it is but put in in your pre-printed envelope.
    Last edited by carolina73; 05-14-2022 at 06:20 PM.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL. Times change. Now the churches want a financial trail of donations if you want to baptize the children or get married. You can mail it is but put in in you pre-printed envelope.
    Believe it or not, priests need to eat. They don't live on the Eucharist. I know! It's crazy. Who knew!? Bills need to be paid. I'm not sure what your objection is.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-26-2022)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL

I like that story.

One interesting from my bible study days is if a woman in the Old Testament is "barren," by god, she WILL have a baby at some point. That must have really meant something back then.

Another interesting thing--and this is one evangelicals ought to pay attention to--they cannot remarry. They can marry once. They can "set that spouse aside" or divorce. But, they cannot remarry. If they do so, they will be living in sin and when they die, they will die in a state of sin.

True that. The Big J lays it out in Matthew.
    That's essentially why Catholics cannot divorce - they can have their marriages annulled if the marriage hasn't been consummated; for lack of competence or there was some kind of deception or false pretenses involved in the decision to marry.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not, priests need to eat. They don't live on the Eucharist. I know! It's crazy. Who knew!? Bills need to be paid. I'm not sure what your objection is.
    Annulling Ted Kennedy's marriage was a terrible message to the people.
    My wife goes every week so they get plenty from me plus every special drive, so my objection is when they have forgiveness for sale.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Annulling Ted Kennedy's marriage was a terrible message to the people.
    My wife goes every week so they get plenty from me plus every special drive, so my objection is when they have forgiveness for sale.
    I agree. Yes, it was. That's probably why it was overturned. Contrary to popular delusions, the Roman Catholic Church is not a dictatorship and the Pope doesn't stuff your tithes under his mattress.

It isn't. Corruption in the Church is as old as the Church. The Church is in constant reform. Go back to Mass with your wife.

~Alain de Benoist

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-26-2022)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That's essentially why Catholics cannot divorce - they can have their marriages annulled if the marriage hasn't been consummated; for lack of competence or there was some kind of deception or false pretenses involved in the decision to marry.
    I have a protestant friend who married a Catholic man, and she had to have her former marriage annulled before they could get married. She was slightly upset at first, because she has three children from her first marriage and she was worried how her children would feel about that.

I wasn't even aware the Church would annul a marriage like that--especially since she and her former husband weren't even Catholic. But, they did. Now, she's very happily married to a pretty nice guy.

Catholics were obviously thinking ahead and put something in place for their members. I don't think the Southern Baptist Church has any such provision, so those folks I fear are going straight to hell upon expiration. If they're literalists, that is.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Churches are businesses.

But, that's not the way to judge a church. Judge it by its acts and its contribution to the world.

Other than the Mennonites that I work with and find amazing, the Catholic Church performs more charitable work than virtually any charity. I know the Church has large financial holdings, but it also is very generous to those in need.

At the end of the day, when we're adding up the pluses and subtracting the minuses, that has to be taken into account.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-26-2022),Cthulhu (05-15-2022),Mister D (05-15-2022),Red Lily (05-19-2022)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a protestant friend who married a Catholic man, and she had to have her former marriage annulled before they could get married. She was slightly upset at first, because she has three children from her first marriage and she was worried how her children would feel about that.

I wasn't even aware the Church would annul a marriage like that--especially since she and her former husband weren't even Catholic. But, they did. Now, she's very happily married to a pretty nice guy.

Catholics were obviously thinking ahead and put something in place for their members. I don't think the Southern Baptist Church has any such provision, so those folks I fear are going straight to hell upon expiration. If they're literalists, that is.
    I wonder what grounds existed for annulment after 3 children?

Not if they join a different church.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread