Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 198x in 179 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question: Why are you here?

Years ago, I started posting on political forums in an attempt to change people's minds in matters political -- specifically, political ideologies. Time, and many responses to my posts, disabused me of that goal.

These days I try, gently, to get readers to realize that many of the issues we face are complex and do not necessarily admit to answers summed in 'talking points'. I'm informed by the observation that for every problem there's a solution that's quick, simple . . . and wrong.

How 'bout you? Why are you here?

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
    "And gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche." Chaucer, the Canterbury Tales.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Torus34 For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-14-2022)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,293
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torus34 View Post
    Years ago, I started posting on political forums in an attempt to change people's minds in matters political -- specifically, political ideologies. Time, and many responses to my posts, disabused me of that goal.

These days I try, gently, to get readers to realize that many of the issues we face are complex and do not necessarily admit to answers summed in 'talking points'. I'm informed by the observation that for every problem there's a solution that's quick, simple . . . and wrong.

I enjoy having discussions with reasonable people who are willing to explain and debate the merits of their positions.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-13-2022),donttread (05-14-2022),midcan5 (05-13-2022),RMNIXON (05-14-2022),stephenpe (05-13-2022)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard question. I used to be online more as I felt you could share information, and books especially, that would help all of us know a bit more. But people are locked in their mental rooms and don't want to come out for fear what the room provides may be not be the real world. Most live in bubbles that reflect back what they want to see. You see that on this site as nonsense get repeated and repeated and.... A kind of circle jerk in which the enemy is clear, usually a leftist or BLM or democrat or.... On most so called conservative sites I am quickly banned, which kinda makes me laugh as I am conservative. But conservative in America today has changed and is autocratic etc etc etc.

Back to your query - I find it interesting and still challenging reading what many Americans have become in these last fifty years or so. Makes one sad but interesting too how certain media sources and dark money can control the minds of so many.

For the reader this book is superb as covers lots of how and why we got here. It is much broader than its title. Also a book on thought control.

'The Cult of Trump: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the President Uses Mind Control' Steven Hassan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-cult-of-trump

"Human beings have been trying to change each others' minds since they first discovered they had them." Kathleen Taylor

'Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control' Kathleen Taylor

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...6.Brainwashing

"People who work with victims of cults, for example, often observe that the new beliefs are associated with extremely emotional states. Challenging such a belief rationally is difficult if not impossible. The victim not only perceives any such challenge as hostile but refuses to engage in rational debate..."
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

6. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-14-2022)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,807x in 15,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I enjoy having discussions with reasonable people who are willing to explain and debate the merits of their positions.
    Same here, but many, across all political discussion forums, left and right are more interested in a gotcha game, and I have no aversion to playing that game if they so desire.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hanger4 For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-14-2022),FindersKeepers (05-14-2022)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,807x in 15,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Hard question. I used to be online more as I felt you could share information, and books especially, that would help all of us know a bit more. But people are locked in their mental rooms and don't want to come out for fear what the room provides may be not be the real world. Most live in bubbles that reflect back what they want to see. You see that on this site as nonsense get repeated and repeated and.... A kind of circle jerk in which the enemy is clear, usually a leftist or BLM or democrat or.... On most so called conservative sites I am quickly banned, which kinda makes me laugh as I am conservative. But conservative in America today has changed and is autocratic etc etc etc.

Back to your query - I find it interesting and still challenging reading what many Americans have become in these last fifty years or so. Makes one sad but interesting too how certain media sources and dark money can control the minds of so many.

For the reader this book is superb as covers lots of how and why we got here. It is much broader than its title. Also a book on thought control.

'The Cult of Trump: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the President Uses Mind Control' Steven Hassan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-cult-of-trump

"Human beings have been trying to change each others' minds since they first discovered they had them." Kathleen Taylor

'Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control' Kathleen Taylor

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...6.Brainwashing

"People who work with victims of cults, for example, often observe that the new beliefs are associated with extremely emotional states. Challenging such a belief rationally is difficult if not impossible. The victim not only perceives any such challenge as hostile but refuses to engage in rational debate..."
    If you acted, at those forums you were banned from, like you do here I can certainly understand why you were banned. You are the quintessential definition of troll.

*Makes one sad but interesting too how certain media sources and dark money can control the minds of so many.*

This ^^ from one that only complains about "dark money" on the right while ignoring "dark money" on the left.

You can run away now midcan5, it's what you do best.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hanger4 For This Useful Post:

Common (05-13-2022)

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torus34 View Post

I enjoy discussions with people who are willing to discuss and consider that other points of view are as valid as their own. I don't try to change minds.

Unfortunately, your claim of 'complex' is your escape hatch, which you use liberally and often. While facts are facts, even facts can be viewed from different directions, colorized by opinion. You have repeatedly refused to involve your opinion, but yet, every post you have made, is based on your opinion.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-14-2022),FindersKeepers (05-14-2022)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Torus34's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 198x in 179 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Hi, Dr. Who.

Thanks for your reply to the question.

I assume that you have some means of filtering out Daleks masquerading on forums as human beings.

"And gladly wolde he lerne and gladly teche." Chaucer, the Canterbury Tales.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,421x in 54,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Exchange ideas and opinions.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-14-2022)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RichardMZhlubb's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,640x in 3,659 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm here only to vent at the idiots who elected a failed TV game show host as president. Until the day I die, I'll never get over how people could have been so stupid and I need to get that anger out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RichardMZhlubb For This Useful Post:

stephenpe (05-13-2022)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,598x in 25,151 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMZhlubb View Post
    I'm here only to vent at the idiots who elected a failed TV game show host as president. Until the day I die, I'll never get over how people could have been so stupid and I need to get that anger out.
    Richard, we've talked about this. It was a policy issue - nobody said that they voted for Trump b/c of his morals. The stated policies of Trump versus the stated policies of Clinton. We understand. You've said that you would vote for someone supporting policies that were horrendously atrociously bad for the country but someone you liked over someone you disliked with good policies for the country. You guys did a really nice job of keeping the Trump hate going 24/7/365/4.

As it is - who's the really immoral one? Hint: Fusion GPS.....

Is your anger really truly over the fact that we smelly walmart loving backward ass dumb $#@! hicks (your side's words) in flyover country just don't agree with you super smart elites there in Washington and made it so that you couldn't get Hillary's policies through?
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Common (05-13-2022),RMNIXON (05-14-2022)

+ Reply to Thread