Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,134x in 4,765 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orchids

I have recently started collecting orchids, a plant I have always admired. I have found they are almost as trouble free to grow as daylilies. Just hang them outside, sit back and watch them develop flowers! I currently have 9 plants hanging from my front porch and in the single tree in my front yard. I did lose one over the winter when I misjudged how cold it would get and it died from the below 32 temps. As soon as my orchid supplier returns from Thailand I expect to buy several more.

One thing I like about them is the flowers last for a very long period of time. They are slow to bloom but are well worth the wait. Of the nine I currently have three have flowers and three others have "spikes" that will flower in the next few weeks. I fully expect the others to flower over the summer.

Orchids come in a variety of blooms and colors. The ones I have now are purple, red and yellow. They also attract hummingbirds. They aren't cheap, running from $45.00 to well over $200.00 depending on the size and type of plant. My wife has purchased some from the local grocery store. These grow best indoors and require far more care. I have taken one of her indoor plants and after the blooms fell off I hung them outdoors. So far it is doing well. Any one else interested in orchids?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchidaceae
    Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.”
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (05-16-2022),FindersKeepers (05-16-2022)