Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,558x in 94,978 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 4 Pillars of Dietary Success for Any Fitness Goal

Your diet, what you eat, is key to any fitness goal. Forget fad diets and focus on your goals. What and how much you eat should be based off your goals.

The 4 Pillars of Dietary Success for Any Fitness Goal

However, if you follow the actual nutrition science, it is very clear that while there are details and nuances we haven’t figured out, the basic principles are pretty clear and well supported by over 50 years of scientific data.

1. The Goal is the Goal is the Goal

There is no one diet, calorie intake, nutrition framework, food list, etc, that fits all goals. When we talk about the single most important pillar of dietary success it is this: Be clear about your goal and stay focused on it for a meaningful amount of time. That means the 3 week cleanse is pointless for 99% of humans.

For example, if your goal is to put on 15 pounds of lean muscle tissue you need to fully comprehend what that means and what it takes to get there. If this is indeed the goal then you are going to need to prioritize the following things:
    1. Calories
    2. Protein
    3. Carbohydrates
    2. Don’t Get Distracted by the Furry Squirrels.

If you grew up with a dog and walked it, then you know what happens to dogs when a squirrel runs by. They forget everything that they are currently doing and chase that squirrel. This makes them deviate from the path they were on.

This is why most people fail, they get distracted by the furry squirrels. They diet hop. This month it’s Paleo, next month it’s Keto, then it’s the next flavor of the month. If a diet system is based on something gimmicky, it’s a gimmick. If it’s based on something super sexy like a key supplement or magic macro ratio, it’s a recycled version of something from the 80’s.

The trick is to not get distracted every 2-3 months by the newest, shiniest diet. The trick is find a diet program that works for you (like really works) and stick to it for 6-12 months and take objective measures along the way.

3. Focus on the Big Stuff

Despite the din and cacophony of the nutrition blogosphere, nutrition isn’t nearly as complicated as most people make it out to be. Trust me. I do nutrition and metabolism science as a profession and have coached thousands of people, I know how complicated you can make it. But the truth is, the things that move the needle for people are the big picture things.

To borrow some ideas from Tim Ferris, 20% of things take you 80% of the way to your goals. This holds true for dietary success.
    4. There is No Magical Diet

Sorry bro. There is no magical secret to weight loss, losing body fat, or getting super jacked beyond the basics. All those $97 ebooks you bought were really educational, but you didn’t get a magic key to the fat loss kingdom (or whatever other door you were looking for).
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

donttread (06-05-2022)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im old fashioned and its probably all wrong, but I used to eat lots of protein, I got alot from fish and eggs and throw in chicken beef etc I ate alot of vegetables but less fruit

If a person were to ask me should I buy a treadmill or indoor bike for cardio, I would tell them neither...buy a heavy bag, if your a big guy buy a karate bag they are 100 to 130 lb and longer.

The heavy bag does it all, no need to run for cardio and your legs...
    Picture this, your legs never stop moving around the bag as it swings, you change approach. Your arms are are slamming the bag, dip your sides from left to right, works core and obliques, get up on your toes bounce on your legs then go flat footed for power ...boxers is fighting condition, that beat on a heavy bad for 3 minutes are sucking air through their mouth...most people cant beat it 30 secs....best all around workout for 100 bucks...im not sure the price I used to by the big bags for 49 bucks..

I had a hook in my garage and chain with a loop on the bag, hang it up when I was done lift it off and ut it in the corner, nothing better and YOU will hit alot harder if you actually work it you will see results in 2 weeks
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Im old fashioned and its probably all wrong, but I used to eat lots of protein, I got alot from fish and eggs and throw in chicken beef etc I ate alot of vegetables but less fruit

If a person were to ask me should I buy a treadmill or indoor bike for cardio, I would tell them neither...buy a heavy bag, if your a big guy buy a karate bag they are 100 to 130 lb and longer.

The heavy bag does it all, no need to run for cardio and your legs...
    Picture this, your legs never stop moving around the bag as it swings, you change approach. Your arms are are slamming the bag, dip your sides from left to right, works core and obliques, get up on your toes bounce on your legs then go flat footed for power ...boxers is fighting condition, that beat on a heavy bad for 3 minutes are sucking air through their mouth...most people cant beat it 30 secs....best all around workout for 100 bucks...im not sure the price I used to by the big bags for 49 bucks..

I had a hook in my garage and chain with a loop on the bag, hang it up when I was done lift it off and ut it in the corner, nothing better and YOU will hit alot harder if you actually work it you will see results in 2 weeks
    Nothing wrong with those ideas. For diet, building meals around protein is not a loser regardless of your weight management goals. For exercise, the heavy bag hits both cardio and resistance training.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,971x in 18,205 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I discovered decades ago is that you can't just diet and lose weight, because the temptation is to return to bad habits and put it back on again. You need a steady routine of watching your consumption and exercise.

One of my big breakthroughs was cutting out the late night snacking habit......
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    What I discovered decades ago is that you can't just diet and lose weight, because the temptation is to return to bad habits and put it back on again. You need a steady routine of watching your consumption and exercise.

One of my big breakthroughs was cutting out the late night snacking habit......
    You're right. We shouldn't go on a diet. We should eat in a sustainable way that gets us to our goal(s).
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread