User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I must repent for my racism but don't know where.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,749
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,079x in 28,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenpe View Post
    I think you are correct and hope this is the case. I think there is a letter to the editor here.

CRT, one of the current rightwing boogymen. I love the picture of the little girl walking into the white school with the comment about how the people that screamed at the little girl are afraid of their children learning how their grandparents screamed at the little girl back in the early sixities. We applaud the Germans for admitting to their history and making sure their descendents learn about it but despair that our own dirty laundry may hurt the feelings of our children. History is history. Its good bad and ugly. Those that would try to hide it are as bad as those that created it. WE spent the next hundred years after the Civil War lauding the wonderful generals and honor of the southern soldier. Then it went it comes time to tell the whole truth its "why bring up the past, it just angers people?" The party of fear is the worst of cowards at times.
    You also fail to understand that the Civil War was not just about slavery. Slavery was just one of the issues in the rights of the individual states promised by the Constitution. The South was basically again a victim of taxation without representation because the northern manufacturing corporations both overcharged the south while placing large tariffs on imports so they could not afford European goods.

It is too easy to sell the war off as just about slavery but 90% of the South could not even afford to rent a slave for the day. White sharecroppers lived like slaves. They still fought for the South.

I think if you had a vote today in the South today and asked the South if they wanted to legally form a new country then you would likely see them get the majority and slavery would have nothing to do with it. It would still come down to the abusive large populations states that are filled with people trying to destroy the Constitution.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,620x in 14,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    You also fail to understand that the Civil War was not just about slavery. Slavery was just one of the issues in the rights of the individual states promised by the Constitution. The South was basically again a victim of taxation without representation because the northern manufacturing corporations both overcharged the south while placing large tariffs on imports so they could not afford European goods.

It is too easy to sell the war off as just about slavery but 90% of the South could not even afford to rent a slave for the day. White sharecroppers lived like slaves. They still fought for the South.

I think if you had a vote today in the South today and asked the South if they wanted to legally form a new country then you would likely see them get the majority and slavery would have nothing to do with it. It would still come down to the abusive large populations states that are filled with people trying to destroy the Constitution.
    Lincoln broke the Constitution in some ways and used the excuse that he had to do that to save the union. He, as much as anyone, ushered in the time of big government,
    However, could either the north or south have stood outside the Union?

+ Reply to Thread