User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doctor donor fertility fraud...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,633x in 25,169 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Doctor donor fertility fraud...

Doctor donor fertility fraud...

ezgif-1-234795ce8a.png
    When Arianna Huhn experienced complications with her first pregnancy, she signed up for a clinical trial, one that required her to submit family DNA samples for research. Her parents, Gail and George Fogelman, agreed. But shortly after, they asked her to jump on a call with them, alone, without her husband. On the phone, Huhn noticed that her dad was choked up and unable to speak. Her mother took the lead. “There’s something that we have been hiding from you,” she said. “Your dad is not your genetic father.”

In the late ‘70s, Huhn’s parents had experienced issues when they were trying to conceive. So they opted for artificial insemination, as suggested by their gynecologist and fertility doctor. Dr. Benjamin Fiorica told them that he would perform the procedure using a mix of George’s sperm and sperm donated by a medical intern. The Fogelmans wanted their child to share a resemblance with their family and requested that the intern be either Jewish or Italian. Fiorica agreed to this stipulation. But he told the Fogelmans to keep the artificial insemination a secret — to hide it from their child. He claimed it would just “cause problems” and that it wouldn’t be “good for the child to know.”

Revealing this lifelong deceit to their daughter, the Fogelmans were braced for shock, anger, or even tears. Instead, Huhn began laughing hysterically. Learning she was someone else’s daughter wasn’t a betrayal but a relief. “I don’t know if vindicating is the right word,” she tells me. “But I had never felt a connection with my dad.”

ezgif-1-ab0e6acb45.jpg

th-257577460.jpg

th-2823076026.jpg

th-3031634802.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/c/23157354/...andme-dna-test

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...fortier-nevada

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/m...aud-sperm.html
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-21-2022)

+ Reply to Thread