Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,662x in 28,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    What criminal does that, you ask? I don't know, ask the guy who shot up the school in Uvalde. He'd know the mindset. Wake up, man, it happens all the time! And even when firearms are illegally acquired, it's often by just buying them off a legal purchaser anyway. When you control the legal flow better, you also control the illegal flow more. That's the whole point of things like licensing requirements that are apparently now controversial.

Anyway, yeah when I think of children, I think more of the elementary school children in Uvalde than I do this. If you think something that size that can't exist outside of a womb or even feel any pain is fully human, fine, don't have an abortion. But I think it's reasonable to leave that kind of judgment up to individuals, especially given how consequential the decision to carry a pregnancy to term can be for a woman's life and future.
    Your not controlling the illegal flow. Your only taking them from those that want to protect themselves.

Yes you are correct that those on a suicide mission may buy them legally because they do not care. But the mass shootings barely even score on the list of homicides.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Let's be honest, @IMPress Polly.
    1. Overturning RvW did not make abortion illegal. It simply gave it back to the states.

2. Human life does begin at conception. The question is at what point is it no longer LEGAL to end that life. When does that life begin to get its human protection? Today's ruling made absolutely no judgment on that. Each state can set that legal date be it the moment of conception to a month or a year after the child is born.

3. The "value" of human life (again... since no one seems to know this) is put at the hands of the states. You vote for your legislators and they will vote what you want regarding the value of human life. The SCOTUS gave that decision back to YOU.

4. Anyone who is sick about today's ruling is obviously ignorant as to the facts. I have no sympathy for that kind of ignorance. It's either chosen ignorance or the person is an abject idiot.
    Let's be honest, @Jen:

1. Same difference for like half the country.

2. See point 1.

3. Not really. The Congressional Republicans are already teeing up legislation to outlaw abortion after just six weeks of pregnancy (by which point few women even know they're pregnant) NATIONWIDE, as in to say in all 50 states, right now because this decision has been known. If they win the midterms hence...well next year could be interesting. Even more interesting if a Republican president is elected in another two years. Literally the day the leak came out they started work in that direction. THAT battle is part of the future here too. I'm not worried about my state's legislature, I'm worried about the federal government and the national Republican Party. And I'm also worried for the women in those other states who will go through unwanted pregnancies and find themselves with no options and their lives ruined.

4. Yeah, okay.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-24-2022 at 09:58 PM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    The way the system works is that woman generally has the man sign all his rights away to the child (no contact) in exchange for not disclosing him as the father.

Why? Because when they put unknown for the father on the birth certificate then it is a free ride to welfare and government paychecks. If you list the father then they will try to get blood from a stone and the mother and baby generally get nothing until it is resolved.
    I have no doubt that happens but those "stones" are determined losers. Federal law requires all new hires to be reported to the state they work in within 21 days. I deal with this correspondence all the time. You cannot work a real job and avoid child support. Not in this day and age.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-24-2022)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,756x in 15,337 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What criminal does that, you ask? I don't know, ask the guy who shot up the school in Uvalde. He'd know the mindset. Wake up, man, it happens all the time! And even when firearms are illegally acquired, it's often by just buying them off a legal purchaser anyway. When you control the legal flow better, you also control the illegal flow more. That's the whole point of things like licensing requirements that are apparently now controversial.

Anyway, yeah when I think of children, I think more of the elementary school children in Uvalde than I do this. If you think something that size that can't exist outside of a womb or even feel any pain is fully human, fine, don't have an abortion. But I think it's reasonable to leave that kind of judgment up to individuals, especially given how consequential the decision to carry a pregnancy to term can be for a woman's life and future.
    Then don't get pregnant, birth control costs much, much less then abortion and doesn't destroy innocent human life.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hanger4 View Post
    Then don't get pregnant, birth control costs much, much less then abortion and doesn't destroy innocent human life.
    First of all, I can pretty much guarantee you that I won't be getting pregnant in the future, being as I'm a lesbian. But I'd like to speak to the needs of women more broadly here if I can.

Birth control is cheaper? Yep, and it's also easier to deal with. That's why abortions are a lot less common than the use of contraceptives. Nobody ENJOYS having an abortion! Nobody actually wants to. It's just a necessary emergency option that women need to have because accidents happen, rape happens, sometimes all preventative measures fail, these sorts of things; life happens. Nothing is perfect. I believe we need to continue making access to birth control easier and that we can do so most effectively by making our health care system free. But that's me.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-24-2022 at 10:05 PM.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,756x in 15,337 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I can pretty much guarantee you that I won't be getting pregnant in the future, being as I'm a lesbian. But I'd like to speak to the needs of women more broadly here if I can.

Birth control is cheaper? Yep, and it's also easier to deal with. That's why abortions are a lot less common than the use of contraceptives. Nobody ENJOYS having an abortion! Nobody actually wants to. It's just a necessary emergency option that women need to have because accidents happen, rape happens, sometimes all preventative measures fail, these sorts of things; life happens. Nothing is perfect. I believe we need to continue making access to birth control easier and that we can do so most effectively by making our health care system free. But that's me.
    Birth control is easily attainable

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hanger4 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Birth control is easily attainable
    Also, do rightists even really believe in birth control though? I mean Justice Thomas, for example, plainly stated today that he favors letting states ban it as well. Along with a whole bunch of other stuff. Where stand you on this, if I may ask?

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class
    Jen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,733x in 1,402 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's be honest, @Jen:

1. Same difference for like half the country.

2. See point 1.

3. Not really. The Congressional Republicans are already teeing up legislation to outlaw abortion after just six weeks of pregnancy (by which point few women even know they're pregnant) NATIONWIDE, as in to say in all 50 states, right now because this decision has been known. If they win the midterms hence...well next year could be interesting. Even more interesting if a Republican president is elected in another two years. Literally the day the leak came out they started work in that direction. THAT battle is part of the future here too. I'm not worried about my state's legislature, I'm worried about the federal government and the national Republican Party. And I'm also worried for the women in those other states who will go through unwanted pregnancies and find themselves with no options and their lives ruined.

4. Yeah, okay.
    And you would take away the state's right to choose...........meaning the right of the people in that state to choose?

Mmmm......okay then.
    WWG1WGA

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class
    Jen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,733x in 1,402 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, do rightists even really believe in birth control though? I mean Justice Thomas, for example, plainly stated today that he favors letting states ban it as well. Along with a whole bunch of other stuff. Where stand you on this, if I may ask?
    I absolutely believe in birth control and there are many ways other than celibacy to get good birth control. I also believe in the morning after pill. But most of all, I believe in a State's right to have laws its people have voted for, not some government controlled decision from on high.
    WWG1WGA

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (06-25-2022),OLD GUY IN FLORIDA (06-24-2022)

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Omar's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,522x in 4,632 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but the Democrats on TV told me that the Republicans will be coming after our birth control next. They wouldn't lie, would they?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

OLD GUY IN FLORIDA (06-24-2022)

+ Reply to Thread