Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saying This Word Slashes Anxiety, Experts Say

Ha, this is so true. Many people have anxiety because they take on too much work / responsibilities. Learn to say no when appropriate. Something I find easy to do (a good trait for a lawyer.)

If you suffer from anxiety, you're probably all too familiar with its physical effects. Tense muscles, shallow breathing, dry mouth, and a rapid heartbeat are just a few common symptoms, and the ones I most often notice in myself. (Is anyone else holding their breath right now, while you're reading this?)

Searching for ways to ease my own anxiety, I spoke with two different experts about my symptoms. Their advice? Saying one simple word more often could make a world of difference when it comes to my stress level. Read on to find out what that word is, why it helps—and why saying it isn't as easy as it.

Between work, kids, household chores, maintaining a social life, and trying to squeeze in a little time for myself (my yoga practice fell by the wayside during the pandemic), it seems like there are never enough hours in the day for all the things I want to do. As a result, feeling overwhelmed and anxious has become a way of life for me—and I know I'm not alone.

"Many people are motivated to try things or take on projects and activities because of a perceived fear of loss," says Bill Hudenko, PhD, Global Head of Mental Health at K Health. "We worry that opportunities may not present themselves again, or that we will lose some critical advantage because we did not fully participate in life."

This resonated with me—my FOMO, or "fear of missing out"—is ever-present (and goes hand-in-hand with my life motto, YOLO, or "you only live once"). Whether it's serving on a committee at my kids' school, organizing a birthday party for a friend, or attending an optional event for work, it's hard for me to say no.

Saying "yes" to everything can make us miserable.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (06-28-2022),FindersKeepers (06-28-2022),MisterVeritis (06-28-2022),Now_What (06-28-2022),RMNIXON (06-28-2022),stjames1_53 (06-28-2022)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,251x in 27,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Ha, this is so true. Many people have anxiety because they take on too much work / responsibilities. Learn to say no when appropriate. Something I find easy to do (a good trait for a lawyer.)

If you suffer from anxiety, you're probably all too familiar with its physical effects. Tense muscles, shallow breathing, dry mouth, and a rapid heartbeat are just a few common symptoms, and the ones I most often notice in myself. (Is anyone else holding their breath right now, while you're reading this?)

Searching for ways to ease my own anxiety, I spoke with two different experts about my symptoms. Their advice? Saying one simple word more often could make a world of difference when it comes to my stress level. Read on to find out what that word is, why it helps—and why saying it isn't as easy as it.

Between work, kids, household chores, maintaining a social life, and trying to squeeze in a little time for myself (my yoga practice fell by the wayside during the pandemic), it seems like there are never enough hours in the day for all the things I want to do. As a result, feeling overwhelmed and anxious has become a way of life for me—and I know I'm not alone.

"Many people are motivated to try things or take on projects and activities because of a perceived fear of loss," says Bill Hudenko, PhD, Global Head of Mental Health at K Health. "We worry that opportunities may not present themselves again, or that we will lose some critical advantage because we did not fully participate in life."

This resonated with me—my FOMO, or "fear of missing out"—is ever-present (and goes hand-in-hand with my life motto, YOLO, or "you only live once"). Whether it's serving on a committee at my kids' school, organizing a birthday party for a friend, or attending an optional event for work, it's hard for me to say no.

Saying "yes" to everything can make us miserable.
    Yes, I agree.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-28-2022),stjames1_53 (06-28-2022)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,438
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,556x in 17,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also find it helpful if you stop worrying so much about what you can't change and focus more on choices and what you are in control of.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    I also find it helpful if you stop worrying so much about what you can't change and focus more on choices and what you are in control of.
    That too.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Now_What's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,707x in 2,288 Posts
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That too.
    I thought it was going to say "serenity now".

+ Reply to Thread