User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Airbnb officially bans house parties forever...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,046x in 24,877 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Airbnb officially bans house parties forever...

Airbnb officially bans house parties forever... The someone-else’s-house rental platform officially bans house parties forever.

th-3591664274.jpg
    For almost as long as it has existed, Airbnb has been dealing with—or, more precisely, not dealing with—a pervasive problem, namely that one thing people really like to do is rent someone else’s house to throw ragers. “Historically, we allowed Hosts to use their best judgment and authorize parties when appropriate for their home and neighborhood,” Airbnb said in a recent blog post. But the party is now over as parties are, officially and forever, banned at all Airbnbs.

Parties have long been a controversial issue with Airbnb, exemplifying many of the ways the “sharing economy” creates new problems for other people who never opted in or get any compensation for their troubles. Neighbors suddenly live next to a poorly-staffed nightclub and local police who have to constantly deal with the noise complaints. Even the property owners sometimes found themselves stuck with huge repair bills after their house was trashed.

Airbnb did next to nothing about this for many years, because it was the one entity that suffered few negative consequences. The party house money was just as good, if not better due to their large sizes, than anyone else’s. But the party house issue reached a critical point during COVID when house parties were, for a while, the best surreptitious option for people to get together when bars, restaurants, and other event spaces were either closed or had significant limitations due to public health rules. In response, some cities have pursued limiting or banning short-term rentals, forcing Airbnb’s hand. So in August 2020 Airbnb announced a temporary ban on all parties and events, including capping houses to 16 guests. Airbnb has now declared that ban permanent.

th-1866390756.jpg

th-223510998.jpg

th-3186654830.jpg

th-114920028.jpg

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjkp...over-at-airbnb
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can they enforce it?

Make renter check the box that says I would throw a party?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-29-2022)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Can they enforce it?

Make renter check the box that says I would throw a party?

I guess they could enforce a ban on "authorized" parties, but how many unauthorized ones will still take place?

The company doesn't personally monitor the homes listed on its platform.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-29-2022)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,093x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An increasing number of houses in my neighborhood are becoming short term rentals. The closest one to us is two houses down, and there's a "get together" there pretty much every weekend, sometimes starting as early as Thursday. The problem with banning "parties" is that even non-parties can be disruptive, and they will sit out in the backyard shouting at the top of their lungs over the stereo till all hours, to the point where I can hear them over at my place. The permanent residents here don't do that to one another, but these people couldn't care less about anyone's peace and quiet or sleep.

The house between us has a sale pending, and I saw the realtor over there the other day and asked her if she was required to disclose to potential buyers that they were moving in next door to a party house/short term rental. She feigned surprise, then responded that no, that wasn't something that the law required her to disclose.

Next week, on the 4th, out-of-state visitors unfamiliar with state and local statutes regarding fireworks will be launching skyrockets onto our roofs and scaring our animals till all hours. Two years ago a family from God knows where were staying in a house over on the next street, and the skyrockets - big, noisy ones - were dropping all over the neighborhood. I walked over there, as did several other residents, and found that this idiot had set up a line of seven or eight "launch pads" of some kind, in a row in the middle of the street, and some of them were actually in flames. I'm afraid we didn't make those people feel very welcome that night. There's a police substation just a couple of blocks up the street, but there's no practical way for the cops to respond to all the illegal fireworks calls.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (06-29-2022),RMNIXON (06-29-2022)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,438
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,556x in 17,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like the Teen left at home and just having a few friends over?

My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

+ Reply to Thread