User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: CA law upheld requiring property owners to pay 1 month's rent to tenants being evicte

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,438
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,556x in 17,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Landlords are going to have to start asking for a 1 year deposit to cover unpaid rents under ridiculous eviction rules plus a 1 month renter's bonus payment for not paying the rent.
    Honest people will pay so the irresponsible can get something for nothing!
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,438
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,556x in 17,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodpen View Post
    Hmmmm, move into a rental, stay 6 months and pay no rent, get evicted and get the money to pay the first month rent in another place....heck, that could work for quite some time.
    You would be shocked to learn how many people move frequently and skip rent. I have seen it happen!
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,522
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,997x in 18,679 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess California wants more homeless, which just might happen if landlords quit renting out their houses.

If I owned/rented property in California, I'd sell it......let the squatters live on the streets.
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-30-2022)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Officials wonder why there's a lack of affordable rentals and this is why.

When laws infringe on the rights of the property owners to such an extent that they're better off selling the property than renting it--they will.

For some odd reason, many think landlords are all billionaires who got wealthy by stiffing poor tenants.
    The level of misunderstanding is incredible.
    Actually, the reason isn't that odd. When people are continually told they 'deserve' to have something, they look at anyone who holds that item 'out of their reach' as the evil one.

Landlords charge too much for their properties.
    Home sellers charge too much for their property.

Let's ignore the fact that these people haven't done what is necessary to be able to afford to purchase a house, or rent a nice place, but they deserve it. 'You are the bad person for keeping it out of their reach.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (06-29-2022),FindersKeepers (06-29-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    You would be shocked to learn how many people move frequently and skip rent. I have seen it happen!
    When my boss owned some apartments, we had one couple pay the deposit and first month's rent, and then skipped paying anything else, and did the midnight run at 90 days.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the purpose is to take ownership away from the common people. "You will own nothing and be happy". Hence we have corporations like Black Rock buying up entire neighborhoods, stealing the opportunity of home ownership from the common man. Put forth unreasonable things like discussed in the op, and people will have no choice but to sell.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (06-29-2022)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,987x in 55,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I think the purpose is to take ownership away from the common people. "You will own nothing and be happy". Hence we have corporations like Black Rock buying up entire neighborhoods, stealing the opportunity of home ownership from the common man. Put forth unreasonable things like discussed in the op, and people will have no choice but to sell.
    These big investment or property management firms are not stealing anything. They are buyin these properties, often for more than asking price. They just have the resources to purchase blocks worth of properties at a time.

Often they buy these in order to rebuild the type of living arrangements people are attracted to today.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 06-29-2022 at 02:37 PM.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,663x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Actually, the reason isn't that odd. When people are continually told they 'deserve' to have something, they look at anyone who holds that item 'out of their reach' as the evil one.

Landlords charge too much for their properties.
    Home sellers charge too much for their property.

Let's ignore the fact that these people haven't done what is necessary to be able to afford to purchase a house, or rent a nice place, but they deserve it. 'You are the bad person for keeping it out of their reach.
    Then after they stiff the landlord, they act with malice on the way out and damage the place.
    It reminds me of repossessed homes when the owners do not pay their mortgage, so they get mad at the bank for what they didn't do and strip and trash the home.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-29-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gotten more 'offers' for my work flop house then you could imagine. What most of these organizations are looking for is a homeowner in financial straights (COVID), or that will take the bite on 'big' cash and not looking beyond that. They are predators hoping to cash in on those who took a financial beating during COVID.

I played out one of the dozens of texts/phone calls/post cards I got. I told them for (throwing a number) $275,000 they can buy my house, cash at 30 day closing. Oh, that's not how it works says they. They ask all sorts of intrusive questions, what do I owe on it, why do I want to sell, where will I move to. They want to come look at the house and make an offer. Then, they will pay me a reverse type mortgage for 4 years, with a balloon payment. I told them if they want my house, that is my price, cash at closing, 30 days. They declined.

It would take a long, long, long time to 'take homeownership away from the common people' by pursuing it by buying up blocks at a time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-29-2022)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,663x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it is not always bad. Generally the neighborhoods were deteriorating from age.

But when you take down 2 bedroom homes and put up the 5 bedroom homes then low income residents have to find something else and builders are not building low end housing.

I see the root cause as the move from single income 4 kids - to - double income one kid families allowing people to buy far more than they will ever need. They are going to have to start having more kids and put them in slave labor, so they can get even bigger houses.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-29-2022)

+ Reply to Thread