Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,286x in 2,745 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

japan

Japan's constitution--written by the US, following WWII--forbids the country from acquiring military weapons, beyond those needed for pure self-defense.

In the mid-1940s, this probably made good sense.

Now...well, much less so, I think.

Japan could act as a serious counterbalance to an increasingly aggressive (and expansionist) China--if only it were allowed to do so.

Remember: We fought against Germany and Italy in WWII also; but we do not wish to constrain them in this manner.

Thoughts?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

countryboy (07-09-2022),donttread (08-07-2022)

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,855x in 13,722 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    Japan's constitution--written by the US, following WWII--forbids the country from acquiring military weapons, beyond those needed for pure self-defense.

Japan could act as a serious counterbalance to an increasingly aggressive (and expansionist) China--if only it were allowed to do so.

Remember: We fought against Germany and Italy in WWII also; but we do not wish to constrain them in this manner.

Thoughts?
    I would imagine that constitution has some sort of amendment process. They need to get busy.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,402x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts?
    In my opinion, Abe's work to change the Constitution is why he was murdered. He was an obstacle on China's road to war.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

pjohns (07-10-2022)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,971x in 18,205 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Japanese were horribly cruel to the pre-Communist Chinese and no doubt some will not forget. Taiwan the obvious target of the moment but it won't end well for the Pacific region IMHO!
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

OLD GUY IN FLORIDA (07-09-2022)

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    OLD GUY IN FLORIDA's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,149x in 4,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lived in Jacksonville Fl I frequented a sushi restaurant that was actually owned by a Chinese couple. My favorite "wait person" was actually Japanese. When I said something about the owners once she quickly told me that she was not fond of them at all and was very nasty in her response. When I asked her why she simply said, well look at it, they are Chinese. She was well treated by them and was promoted to restaurant manager and was apparently well paid, but the fact they were Chinese was enough for her to totally dislike them.

When I was stationed in Japan while in the Navy I discovered the Japanese people had a very strong sense of racial superiority. While, as an American, I was never made to feel discrimination except for a couple of occasions. One night a bunch of us from the ship tried to go to a Japanese nightclub and we were politely told the club was only for Japanese citizens. I also noticed they treated the Koreans living in Japan much like we did African Americans 100 years ago.

Still, I found the Japanese people to be exceptional polite considering that it had been just over 20 years that we were killing each other in the South Pacific. Furthermore, they were very industrious. I think they considered General Douglas McArthur to be their savior from the culture of serfdom that existed prior to the war.
    Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.”
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

Chuck (07-10-2022),pjohns (07-10-2022)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Chuck's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 859x in 617 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA View Post
    When I lived in Jacksonville Fl I frequented a sushi restaurant that was actually owned by a Chinese couple. My favorite "wait person" was actually Japanese. When I said something about the owners once she quickly told me that she was not fond of them at all and was very nasty in her response. When I asked her why she simply said, well look at it, they are Chinese. She was well treated by them and was promoted to restaurant manager and was apparently well paid, but the fact they were Chinese was enough for her to totally dislike them.

When I was stationed in Japan while in the Navy I discovered the Japanese people had a very strong sense of racial superiority. While, as an American, I was never made to feel discrimination except for a couple of occasions. One night a bunch of us from the ship tried to go to a Japanese nightclub and we were politely told the club was only for Japanese citizens. I also noticed they treated the Koreans living in Japan much like we did African Americans 100 years ago.

Still, I found the Japanese people to be exceptional polite considering that it had been just over 20 years that we were killing each other in the South Pacific. Furthermore, they were very industrious. I think they considered General Douglas McArthur to be their savior from the culture of serfdom that existed prior to the war.
    To hear all the sniveling and whining about Da Evulz Of Amurka you would think we're some dystopian hellhole for anybody but WASPS; the whiners have obviously never been outside the U.S. or even got to know people who aren't from here, or they would know the rest of the world is far more racist and nasty than even the average American skinhead. The Middle East, for example, has no racist problems re black Africans even after millennia of slave trafficking; that's because they killed them all and still do kill slaves when they're no longer useful.

If the U.S. was even half as 'racist n stuff' as portrayed by the left wing propaganda and 'Reparations' scam peddlers claim, there wouldn't be any 'minorities' around to be sniveling and having Big Dramas. We certainly don't see any of them running back to their home cultures even when they can easily afford to leave here on the next plane, nor would all those 'minorities' be filling up fake 'refugee camps' on our borders waiting to get the freebies at citizens' expense. Even then they move to France or some other Euro country than go back to the $#@!holes they got away from.
    Last edited by Chuck; 07-10-2022 at 09:51 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck For This Useful Post:

OLD GUY IN FLORIDA (07-10-2022),pjohns (07-10-2022)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,651x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts?
    Totally agree. But the American government, no government, lets go of control unless forced to. We still have bases in Germany don't forget. By these limits on Japan we incur some obligation to defend them which is an obligation we don't need.
    You make an excellent point about the role Japan could play without limits imposed in a bygone era.

+ Reply to Thread