User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do men as a class have such bad reputation?

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do men as a class have such bad reputation?

I would appreciate both positive and negative feedback on my microessays on gender issues.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can men correct their reputation for unkindness?

A recent (October 2017) study by a University of Zurich team involving 56 men and women supposedly found that men’s brain rewards selfish behavior, while women’s brains reward sharing. The results widely circulated by the media seem to have reaffirmed that men are ethically inferior to women. Many headlines like “Women are kinder and more generous then men" by The Independent seem to agree. These articles reaffirmed commonly held beliefs – according to “The State of The Union on Gender Equality, Sexism, and Women’s Rights" (2017), 52% of women and 41% of men believe that women are more ethical then men.

In my opinion, the study proves once again that the men’s primary flaw is neither selfishness nor unkindness. Given that Social Sciences are quite flexible, different tests yield different conclusions. And yet, this and similar studies did reaffirm two facts. First, researchers and journalists have no fear of claiming that men are unkind. Second, researchers and journalists have enormous fear of claiming that women are unkind.

Making negative generalization about women brings dreadful consequences, while making negative generalizations about men brings almost no consequences. Any journalist who says or writes anything even slightly offensive about women is blacklisted quickly. On most jobs, anyone who says anything offensive about women is fired immediately. On most major forums of English Internet, any poster who regularly offends women is subject to an extremely vicious campaign of personal insults and likely a ban. I myself am careful with my words, but even speaking about discrimination faced by men may provoke ire and abuse from SJWs. Internet stars who have written offensive satires about women received thousands of death and castration threats on open platforms like Twitter and news comment sections.

The absence of social consequences for negative generalizations about men make such generalizations acceptable and common. Men came to be viewed as privileged oppressors and villains. The reputation of men as a class fell to the point when 41% of American men consider themselves ethically inferior humans. Vilification leads to discrimination – men are discriminated in divorce, get much longer sentences for the same offense, and male victims of Domestic Violence get almost no help.

Even though men have reputation for selfishness and unkindness, History has many examples to the contrary. In a 1770 letter, Voltaire wrote “I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write". During the time when insulting the monarch in any European Nation was an offense, George Washington signed the First Amendment into Law. Valerie Solanas who advocated genocide of men faced little backlash. Sally Miller Gearhart who advocated reducing male population to 10% did not lose her job as a university professor in 1980s. Many other public figures who advocated similar ideas suffered no repercussions.

The sad reality is that men’s kindness to those who slander and insult them may be the greatest weakness men as a class have. This very kindness leads to excessive amount of negative stereotypes about men. This very kindness eventually leads to the perception of men as vicious monsters. On individual level, a man who is kind to a slanderer may gain reputation points, but on societal level such kindness is a disaster.

Bleak as the situation is, there is a possibility for menprovement. With access to Internet, more men and women then ever before realize that men are facing undeserved stereotyping, hatred, and discrimination. In 2010s many male bashers did face unprecedented backlash. That backlash is much weaker then the one faced by those who insult women, but it is still far beyond anything male bashers faced in 1980s, 1990s, or even 2000s. Hopefully by 2050, after over three more decades of electronic activism, we will have a generation of men and some women aware of the issues facing men. Hopefully, we will have a generation of men and some women willing to stand up against misandrists at least as strongly as modern women stand against misogyny. Hopefully, the men of 2050 would proudly declare that they are incapable of kindness toward those who declare them inferior humans. Hopefully, by that time no one will dare to publish slanderous generalizations about men.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Phd dissertation is available for $1598.00 dollars if you PM me.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (11-05-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,904x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Men aren't a class.

As for the essay, simple, men and women are different.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our reputation with women just depends on the time of day. Don't like it, wait ten minutes and it will be a whole other opinion.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (11-04-2017),Doublejack (11-05-2017),stjames1_53 (11-05-2017)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,866
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that criminal statistics are all the evidence that you need to prove which gender's brains reward selfish behavior more than the other.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think that criminal statistics are all the evidence that you need to prove which gender's brains reward selfish behavior more than the other.
    Ouch! What is the word for the opposite of Mysogynist?
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to resister For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (11-05-2017),stjames1_53 (11-05-2017)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I skipped sociology class for a reason. This OP question is why. Study plumbing or mortuary arts if you want a job for life people.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

resister (11-05-2017),stjames1_53 (11-05-2017)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    Ouch! What is the word for the opposite of Mysogynist?
    A misandrist. However, it wasn't a man-hating statement. It was simply an observation that between the genders, males are far more likely to commit crime, which is ultimately considered a selfish act.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    I skipped sociology class for a reason. This OP question is why. Study plumbing or mortuary arts if you want a job for life people.
    I on the other hand loved both sociology and psychology.

Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread