Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Neither.

Midcan is not particularly bright. He is like most Leftists. He gets handed a talking point and he runs it into the ground without ever thinking about or even caring about whether it is true.

There is a difference between saying you will "follow the law" in cases where a particular law is relevant and ruling on the constitutionality of the law when the law itself is challenged.

Kavanaugh did not lie. Nor is it likely he had a change of heart. He did his job and he did it correctly.
    I really don't get your position on this, but of course I don't doubt you see it as the correct one for reasons that seem clear to you. My own position on it is that killing another human being for the sake of convenience, and in most cases of abortion, that is all it is, just isn't right. If the mother's life or long term health are threatened, that is a different matter. If it is because it will put a dent in her career plans or keep her from buying a new Lexus or fitting into the latest fashions, that is not acceptable.
    I know you see it that way, and I respect your opinion.

I just don't see early stage fetuses as being "human beings." I do see them as potential human beings, though, and I do think they have value, so abortion must be performed very early. I disagree with a lot of states that allow abortion up to viability--I think that's pushing it too far.

But there's a bigger issue--the issue of what society will do to moderate the impact of having/raising an unwanted child. Because we can't ban abortions without stepping up and ensuring the child has a decent life. We just can't.

I think "career" probably does figure into many abortions but that's it's incredibly expensive to raise a child and being a single mother is one of the biggest causes of poverty. Not just "not getting a Lexus," but having to watch the babies go to bed hungry. That's not right.

One of the other things I've seen is young women who were in abusive relationships. They simply need to be out--they can't afford any ties to the abusive father. A baby legally ties them.

Plus, we have the fact that a woman is statistically most likely to be murdered when she's pregnant. That is also due to our laws--while a woman can abort to avoid an 18-year convenience, if she doesn't abort, the male's only option (some think) is to kill her. They also kill if the woman is underage and a DNA test will send them to prison. These are our laws and they all come back to put the female at risk.

It's about so much more than convenience. I think the vast majority of women (maybe not all) would have their babies if they knew they could afford to feed and raise them. I don't think getting fat really factors in--because women can always thin down again. Most do pretty quickly, although I've heard women at the gym wanting to hurry and lose the "baby fat." That's okay. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get back in shape.

Society has made it virtually impossible to raise a child unless you have a good income. And forget child support from deadbeat dads--sure we can arrest them and garnish their wages--they figure out ways not to pay. Plus, is that really good emotionally for the child to know?

Then we have the abusive stepdad thing. If the brat doesn't stop howling, smack it a few times. If that doesn't work, beat it until it's quiet. Very quiet. Or, rape it.

The good thing is that abortion numbers have been dropping steadily since we've been pushing safe sex, and we should continue to push it and make birth control free to all.

I think we could pretty much eliminate all abortions if we made childcare free and we also made career training free. No one wants to do that. But, if we're really serious about ending abortions, that's what we'll do.

Captdon--to his credit--has been the only one who's advocated paying to raise the children. But, it's what has to happen to stop abortion.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Cletus (09-12-2022)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    They didn't say they wouldn't overturn anything. They said they respected stare decisis. The majority opinion spends a great deal of time explaining the doctrine and how it works.

The OP is an idiot.
    If stare decisis was an unbreakable rule, Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka would not have gone the way it did.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Cletus (09-12-2022),Peter1469 (09-13-2022)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    We will see women's reproductive rights codified at the national level.

We could soon see national protection for abortion pills.
    images.png
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

+ Reply to Thread