User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How DNA analysis led to a grandson facing homicide charges in a 34-year-old cold case

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 32,948x in 17,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up How DNA analysis led to a grandson facing homicide charges in a 34-year-old cold case

How DNA analysis led to a grandson facing homicide charges in a 34-year-old cold case...

ezgif-1-3727eff8c5.jpg

Officials are saying advancements in DNA technology are what led to the arrest last week of Jeremy Brock in a 34-year-old murder case. Brock, 55, who had been living in Austin, Texas, was charged in connection with the 1988 killing of his grandmother, Helen Vogt. According to police reports, the 77-year-old Vogt was found in a condo beaten and stabbed numerous times. A neighbor had discovered her body. A washcloth at the crime scene contained blood from Vogt as well as Brock’s DNA. Jet 24 Action News also reported that analysis found Brock’s DNA in bloody surfaces inside his grandmother’s home.

Brock is being charged with homicide, robbery, burglary, theft and tampering, according to Erie News Now. He has refused to waive his extradition back to Pa., according to Erie Country District Attorney Elizabeth Hirz. According to Michael Folk, an associate professor at Mercyhurst University, advances in technology are helping investigators solve cold cases like this one. “The DNA evidence is really, really powerful in backing up a larger, broader case that includes many types of evidence,” he said.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/0...cold-case.html
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (08-03-2022),Manny Decker (08-03-2022),RMNIXON (08-03-2022)

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,611
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,327x in 11,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many unsolved murders with solid suspects but not enough evidence!
    Your Trump Derangement Syndrome is NOT my problem!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (08-03-2022)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,560x in 18,998 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently they knew it was him but just needed more proof. The had all the forensic materials they collected from him in 1990 just not this technology.

Stabbed her 51 times and then stole her car and they found it a month later in Dayton OH.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,992
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,481x in 9,594 Posts
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Before reading the story I assumed this was going to be another one of those familial match cases, solved because some family member sent a cheek swab into 23&Me. I have to wonder how these cases, when they hit the media, affect those companies' business. I expect that in the future police agencies are going to gain access to those private data bases - if they haven't already - and that authorities are going to be getting more and more creative in obtaining as many samples from members of the public as possible.
    "There is no more male idea in the history of the universe than 'Hey, why don't we fly up to the moon and drive around?'" - ​Jerry Seinfeld

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,560x in 18,998 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Before reading the story I assumed this was going to be another one of those familial match cases, solved because some family member sent a cheek swab into 23&Me. I have to wonder how these cases, when they hit the media, affect those companies' business. I expect that in the future police agencies are going to gain access to those private data bases - if they haven't already - and that authorities are going to be getting more and more creative in obtaining as many samples from members of the public as possible.
    No doubt. We have found mothers of babies left to die in trash cans and dumpsters in our area using he searches of the data base. I don't think they ever get a direct hit but instead find siblings or close family members. I imagine, if you are dumping your kids in trash cans they you are not too worried about family ties or want your info out there.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

+ Reply to Thread