User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Animal House was released on this date in 1978.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,611
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,326x in 11,207 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    My "point" was to get an answer to my question. Thanks for providing one.

What I think you're not taking into account is that the film is set in 1962 - at a time when all the behaviors and jokes you noted would have been the reality. When Harold Ramis, Doug Kenney and Chris Miller sat down to write the film, they thought back to their own college days and based much of the script on what they remembered, along with stories of things they'd heard about at the time. The elitist fraternity marginalizing the minority and disabled students - that was making fun of the frat, not the ones they were excluding. Treating women as sex objects? You honestly don't believe that's the way it was in 1962?

As for the students being overwhelmingly White - again, 1962. That was the year Air Force veteran James Meredith was turned away at the University of Mississippi, and the enrollment of Black students in all but Black colleges was miniscule all over the country. Showing anything else in the movie would have been totally unrealistic, just as it would be if the movie were made today.

Filmed representations of language, attitudes and behaviors, set at a time when that was the way it was, and in either a dramatic or comedic context, are still being made and always will be.
    Valid observations, but if you trying in some roundabout way to make a case that modern films are not PC designed and censored as not to offend the "protected classes" and at the same time filled with WOKE messaging (including what passes for comedy) then you fall short.

I am far too old to have been born yesterday!
    Your Trump Derangement Syndrome is NOT my problem!

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,992
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,481x in 9,594 Posts
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    Valid observations, but if you trying in some roundabout way to make a case that modern films are not PC designed and censored as not to offend the "protected classes" and at the same time filled with WOKE messaging (including what passes for comedy) then you fall short.

I am far too old to have been born yesterday!
    If you have read anything that I've written in threads about the current trend of wokeness in films and t.v. - but I'm not conceited enough to assume that you have - I am absolutely NOT making a case for what you suggested...quite the contrary.
    "There is no more male idea in the history of the universe than 'Hey, why don't we fly up to the moon and drive around?'" - ​Jerry Seinfeld

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    If you have read anything that I've written in threads about the current trend of wokeness in films and t.v. - but I'm not conceited enough to assume that you have - I am absolutely NOT making a case for what you suggested...quite the contrary.
    I have read some and have agreed if you bothered to note my thanks on occasion. That said you got on my case for what I thought was an obvious enough remark about the OP film subject without getting all political about it.

But since you got this ball rolling my historical observation about "Blazing Saddles" is that the "N" word at that time was considered offensive by nearly all persons. Only more recently has it become a separate and divisive form of language that only blacks can use and white people not dare even in good humor or jest.

I gave up watching Blazing Saddles on any form of broadcast including cable because of it. Censored all over the place.

Did the film mock racism including use of the N word, oh yes it did. Who are hyper sensitive about racism and promote PC racism today? I have no doubt about that answer.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    This is really good...

I just watched in full and enjoyed many stories, most that I had not heard before.

My only complaint is the film composer acting like he just made up the music when clearly a portion of Brahms Academic Overture was used as main opening theme and other parts of the movie:

(Forward to 1:40 Minute Mark)

Written in 1880 BTW!
    Last edited by RMNIXON; 08-05-2022 at 06:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread